General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Villatalk dead pool 2017? ;)

You didn't strike me as low hanging fruit, but if you're still hanging around at Xmas, you'll be a top pick for 2018 :D

I'm going to stick around just to annoy you now :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm going to stick around just to annoy you now :P

Seriously though, hope you get sorted. I'm a similar age to you and should probably go for an all round check up, although I don't really need them to tell me what I already know. There's no need to increase my monthly pension contribution ;)

• Like 1

Hmm, toilet related oddness is a-foot. - Since last Monday 90% of the time I've gone to the gents, I have been met by the same co-leaker. Each time, we're both crossing paths ( not streams ) as I am opening the door to go in, there he is. I shrugged it off last week as a coincidence - an unfortunate alignment of pee cycles. Now I'm getting concerned. I was only in for half a day yesterday and still he awaited me, splash marks on the shirt and noticeably loud breathing ( though it is warm and his shape does lean towards the hexagonal ) 

Considering giving him a schedule of when I intend to pee, and see if this works. Risks not factoring in warmer days ( and ergo more drinking ) but it may be the only non-violent solution I have  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Can anyone tell me if they have just basically decided they want to start a completely different path in the career? I am 34 and been with the NHS for 8 years and I am just disillusioned with the NHS and the current state. The high level managers to the constant politics. My friend is the same and has now started a course in becoming a IT developer. he suggested a course for me to do as well. am strongly thinking about it. Has anyone else just chosen something similar and had success. Just a bit concerned at my age is it worth doing. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can anyone tell me if they have just basically decided they want to start a completely different path in the career? I am 34 and been with the NHS for 8 years and I am just disillusioned with the NHS and the current state. The high level managers to the constant politics. My friend is the same and has now started a course in becoming a IT developer. he suggested a course for me to do as well. am strongly thinking about it. Has anyone else just chosen something similar and had success. Just a bit concerned at my age is it worth doing. 

In pretty much the same boat (35), I’ve just let my career go the way it seems to be heading. I feel I’m doing something that I’m not particularly suited to, I'm good at my job (albeit with a complete lack of motivation at the moment) but that’s because I'd back myself on doing any job that I was put in. I've struggled with progression due to being unsuccessful in interviews, so presumably its potential employers seeing the same in me as I guess I feel myself, despite me knowing that despite this I’d do a bloody good job.

Anyway, seriously thinking of trying to do something as I'm stagnating at the moment and I hate it. Realistically it needs to be something I can do while still working and something I can afford to do. Like being back at school I just don’t know what. I really envy people that had a career path they knew what they wanted to do.

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

In pretty much the same boat (35), I’ve just let my career go the way it seems to be heading. I feel I’m doing something that I’m not particularly suited to, I'm good at my job (albeit with a complete lack of motivation at the moment) but that’s because I'd back myself on doing any job that I was put in. I've struggled with progression due to being unsuccessful in interviews, so presumably its potential employers seeing the same in me as I guess I feel myself, despite me knowing that despite this I’d do a bloody good job.

Anyway, seriously thinking of trying to do something as I'm stagnating at the moment and I hate it. Realistically it needs to be something I can do while still working and something I can afford to do. Like being back at school I just don’t know what. I really envy people that had a career path they knew what they wanted to do.

Very good points. I guess we start with what are your interests? There are plenty of free courses online, so if you can sacrifice about a hour a night after work might help. I am doing a IT developer beginners course when online at home  for 30-60mins a day midweek. I am committing one hour  of TV time to better myself (hopefully for the future) if you have the hunger and desire you will find what it is you are looking for!

21 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

My advice guys...

once-went-job-hunting-hired-myself-never

Yeah I am thinking the same. I think I am going to complete this course, said I was going to do half hour yesterday but ended up doing 2 hours!

Think I am going to take a hit for 6 months slightly lower wage on a junior developer role but then once built up a portfolio and a bit experience can make some serious cash it looks like 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

F*ck yeah Dem.

I've walked away from a couple of jobs that enjoyed prestige and £ for the sake of sanity.

Aware that I'll likely be working til I drop because of those decisions, but f*ck it, there's been some experiences that money doesn't buy.

I'm 45 and it seems likely that I will be doing it again. Though perhaps I'll take this decision a little more seriously because of my advancing years? Something to do with being self sufficient perhaps?

Friends that have done the same haven't regretted it either. The plumbers and electricians are fairly loaded Dem.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Think I am going to take a hit for 6 months slightly lower wage on a junior developer role but then once built up a portfolio and a bit experience can make some serious cash it looks like

Hurry up then. I'm hiring devs at the moment ;)

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

F*ck yeah Dem.

I've walked away from a couple of jobs that enjoyed prestige and £ for the sake of sanity.

Aware that I'll likely be working til I drop because of those decisions, but f*ck it, there's been some experiences that money doesn't buy.

I'm 45 and it seems likely that I will be doing it again. Though perhaps I'll take this decision a little more seriously because of my advancing years? Something to do with being self sufficient perhaps?

Friends that have done the same haven't regretted it either. The plumbers and electricians are fairly loaded Dem.

Thanks Xann thats made me think things more positively ! 

• Like 1

Â