General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

A girl at work posted a note on the bulletin board that said she needed to take the 35th, 36th and 37th of this month off, for "school priorities" :D

I love america and the americans, but when I read this I become Mooney.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I love america and the americans, but when I read this I become Mooney.

She's actually from Wankershire or wherever.

j/k, she's 100% American. But only about 90% there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Your disgust at americanisms creeping in to language, indicates, rightly or wrongly, that you might not be a fan of the US. 

Hmm. Wrongly, mostly. I have no problem with American English per se. It's entirely appropriate when used by Americans. I'm not so keen on its intrusion into British usage. As for American culture, well, I probably listen to more American music and read more American literature than anything else. It goes without saying that I detest the more unpleasant aspects of American politics, but then so do most of my American friends. On balance, I'm pretty much an Americanophile! 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

On 30/08/2017 at 19:31, Davkaus said:

BA is John Lewis prices for Poundland service. Pretty sure they're kept afloat by people who hardly ever fly, remembering that they used to be known for quality. I'd rather fly with Easyjet or Ryanair, at least they're cheap enough to justify the shit experience.

Spot on. Honestly I can't tell the difference between ba and those two companies. Ba is dreadful. Lame keg room and really uncomfortable seats. Also their online check in as shit. Pretty sure they do this deliberately so you pay for a seat beforehand

never using these clowns again

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Hmm. Wrongly, mostly. I have no problem with American English per se. It's entirely appropriate when used by Americans. I'm not so keen on its intrusion into British usage. As for American culture, well, I probably listen to more American music and read more American literature than anything else. It goes without saying that I detest the more unpleasant aspects of American politics, but then so do most of my American friends. On balance, I'm pretty much an Americanophile! 

My error, apologies.

On 8/30/2017 at 19:31, Davkaus said:

BA is John Lewis prices for Poundland service. Pretty sure they're kept afloat by people who hardly ever fly, remembering that they used to be known for quality. I'd rather fly with Easyjet or Ryanair, at least they're cheap enough to justify the shit experience.

They have a word removed for a CEO who has adopted an extreme cost cutting model, obviously for the good of shareholders. This means that they behave a lot more like Ryan Air these days, although Ryan Air seem to be shifting away from treating their customers like shit. 

Not clear to me that BA have a promising future, they have both cheapened and dirtied their 'brand' and are pissing many customers off left right and centre. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 20:26, sharkyvilla said:

I'm flying with them when I go to Clearwater Beach in Florida in November and I'm dreading it a bit.  They were the only flight that went to Tampa, otherwise it's a 3 hour drive from Orlando.  I'm working on the basis that generally if I think something is going to be shit, it turns out alright in the end.

Having flown to Florida 10 times (Orlando MCO 7, Tampa TPA 3), I don't think BA are any worse or better than other low-cost and chartered airlines that fly to central FL. It's nearly 120 miles from MCO to Clearwater Beach so to do it in 2 hours or less would rely on no traffic (rare in the Orlando and Tampa areas of the drive) and some risky speeding. A more typical drive time is around 2.5 hours or 3 hours in traffic.

Even flying with BA (just don't expect anything special) I think you've made the correct decision for two reasons. The obvious one is your drive will be around 2 hours shorter. The other is that TPA is a much, much, much better airport to travel through than MCO. Although still a decent size and equipped to handle more flights, TPA is much quieter. During my 3 arrivals we were their only international arrival of the day so immigration was a friendly 2 minute breeze. Luggage and hire car collection again took just a few minutes. Contrast that to a typical arrival at MCO with their unfriendly immigration and big queues, you'll save at least 30 minutes on the time it takes from touching down to driving out of the airport and experience a much calmer process. So much so, that after the Tampa 'secret' got out (my first 2009 TPA flight was £200 cheaper per person than flying into MCO) now making it a similar cost to both airports, we chose TPA over MCO another two times and we were driving to Kissimmee (1hr 20min from TPA, just 30min from MCO). 

• Thanks 1

Someone seems to have a mobile number similar to my work phone, got a call the other day telling me my viewing on the apartment was confirmed and today a text from specsavers confirming my appointment (the irony) :D 

On 31/08/2017 at 21:50, Demitri_C said:

Spot on. Honestly I can't tell the difference between ba and those two companies. Ba is dreadful. Lame keg room and really uncomfortable seats. Also their online check in as shit. Pretty sure they do this deliberately so you pay for a seat beforehand

never using these clowns again

Keg room :)

anyone else picture Dem on a plane trying to fit a keg of beer under the seat in front of him ? 

With BA You only pay for a seat online before hand if you want to select a seat weeks / months in advance , at the online check in stage seat selection is free unless you select an emergency exit ... 

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

With BA You only pay for a seat online before hand if you want to select a seat weeks / months in advance , at the online check in stage seat selection is free unless you select an emergency exit ... 

Emergency exit = extra leg room

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Keg room :)

anyone else picture Dem on a plane trying to fit a keg of beer under the seat in front of him ? 

Yes but you can change your seat 24hrs before If you don't want to pay. I see no difference in terms of ba and Ryanair these days

Two rather grown up questions:

- Anyone recommend a good wallet? My Bangkok market Gucci leather special is finally beyond repair! Nothing flash, just a good quality and durable leather wallet with room for about 6 cards. I looked at Montblanc but they seem excessively expensive. How about Bellroy?

- Contents insurance - how much roughly should i be paying for a 2 bed apartment... noting I have nothing of any real value in my place! I haven't got extensive record collections or valuables. I'm a man of few possessions! I'm sure i'm getting bum raped by Ageas on my latest quote. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

- Anyone recommend a good wallet? My Bangkok market Gucci leather special is finally beyond repair! Nothing flash, just a good quality and durable leather wallet with room for about 6 cards. I looked at Montblanc but they seem excessively expensive. How about Bellroy?

I bought a Secrid wallet a year ago. Really like it. Small creditcard sized with room for cach. No room coins though

YBGCSsI.gif

• Like 1

Â