General Chat

Stevo985

@Xela every year I hear you say I'm taking it easier this year. I think I've read that you would like to do a bit of traveling again too. Is there anyway you could take a few months off to go and see a bit of the world? It certainly wouldn't be possible for me, but I don't know your situation regarding work and your finances. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 09:51, Xann said:

Dude, what needs to break before you decide enough is enough?

Exit strategy plans?

I only want to be doing my current role for 2 years more, then move into something less stressful. 

On 7/22/2017 at 08:15, Jon said:

Yeah, mine was not good either.  I'm now on 2 types of tablets to control it, and it's finally got down to safer levels.  I'd imagine you'll be on tablets pretty sharpish too! 

Yeah need to see Docs again asap. Last three readings have been 181/103, 187/114 and 186/111

My Dad went on medication at about 45 as he had very high BP (he remembers the top figure being over 200!) so it looks like I'm following in his footsteps at 38 :mellow:

On 7/22/2017 at 10:01, Rugeley Villa said:

@Xela every year I hear you say I'm taking it easier this year. I think I've read that you would like to do a bit of traveling again too. Is there anyway you could take a few months off to go and see a bit of the world? It certainly wouldn't be possible for me, but I don't know your situation regarding work and your finances. 

Honestly I do think i've taken it a bit easier this year as someone else was drafted into the team to assist me. I'd say I have worked less hours on average this year than previous although there are obvious peaks and troughs when a complex and time critical transaction needs sorting.

I would like to take a sabbatical and maybe spend 6 months travelling but ironically it has been my health that has made me reluctant to do this. Not my BP but my stomach problems. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Honestly I do think i've taken it a bit easier this year as someone else was drafted into the team to assist me. I'd say I have worked less hours on average this year than previous although there are obvious peaks and troughs when a complex and time critical transaction needs sorting.

I would like to take a sabbatical and maybe spend 6 months travelling but ironically it has been my health that has made me reluctant to do this. Not my BP but my stomach problems. 

I feel your pain mate. After I got out of the military I had a patch of about 10 years where I commuted into London from rural Berkshire for work. High pressure, long hours, expected to take clients out and impress them etc. After 4 years of doing that with kids on the way I had the same sort of readings as you did. The best thing I ever did was to totally revamp my diet and exercise plan. I thought that someone who could pass all tests that the army could throw at me would still be fit 5 years later with very little exercise but boy was I wrong. I started in the small with walking in between client visits, blocking out hours for lunch and me time in my calendar and making sure that I ate things that weren't either beige or yellow out of a tin/packet. It took me only 2 months to get the readings down, insulin back to a normal level and to feel better again. 

If I could give any advice to people who work like I did back then it would be to always think about yourself. It's better to under-promise and over-deliver rather than always saying yes and then having to chase goals. If you've got the space, plant a garden, get a proper bike or try to set a goal to complete a half marathon or something similar next year. Your family and friends will suffer immensely if you die too early because of lifestyle and work issues. I thought I was doing the long hours in London for my family when in fact they were worse off because I was a total wreck when I came home after 8 each night to a toddler and a pregnant wife.

A Japanese colleague of mine back in the 80's gave me a sheet with every day of the week and major colours on it. My job was to try and eat two items out of each colour every day, this alone brought my insulin levels down so much that I was out of "pre diabetes" in no time. In Japan they are big on the fact that diversity in diet leads to a healthy colon which stabilises your blood sugar. It looked something like this.

250704f2de9194e0876b1afc5d4d8bc2.png

Other things that help reduce your serotonin levels is Tai Chi. It might sound a bit queer but it's something that works really well to center yourself and to de-stress. It's usually really cheap and extremely effective.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Thats probably the reason stress.  If the job is thay bad consider changing jobs. Health first job second

• Like 1

One of the greates things I've ever seen on Twitter. 

This is BBC Producer Fergus Beeley performing a citizens arrest and channelling his inner Basil Fawlty. 

How the other bloke didn't just spark him out, I don't know. 

Put your hands on the car and get ready to DIE :crylaugh:

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Couldnt work out what sparked this, what made him lose it, anyone know?

Road rage apparently, although conflicting reports as to wether the car he was in was actually involved in the incident. 

Utterly hilarious though. Having said that, at the point he tells the bloke to get ready to die and tells the 11 year old he's under citizens arrest, I'd have had to chin him. Being a prick is one thing, but threatening a kid deserves a good slap round the head. 

He'd have got away with too, as long as he didnt go overboard. Would have clearly been able to prove self defence.

For all we know, there was dangerous driving before that clip, he's also alleging he was punched, but given everyone's saint-like patience in that clip, I find it hard to believe. He's a lucky man to walk away without a broken nose, and he'd **** deserve it.

Just now, Davkaus said:

For all we know, there was dangerous driving before that clip, he's also alleging he was punched, but given everyone's saint-like patience in that clip, I find it hard to believe. He's a lucky man to walk away without a broken nose, and he'd **** deserve it.

Even if there had been danerous driving once he starts leaning in the car, intimidating someone's family and physically grabbing someone he is pretty fair game for being sorted out.

I wouldn't have stood for it, I'm not even sure I could have witnessed it and not acted.

Only his age would have made me hesitate but I think I'd have snapped.

• Like 2

Yeah, even if there was dangerous driving and even a punch before the filming started, threatening to kill people is a bit much.

He comes across as a clearing in the woods of the highest order, and I think I'd have ended up lamping him in that scenario.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Mainly him being a clearing in the woods I'd imagine.

I would have snapped and likely snapped him faced with that.

It would all have depended on my mood on how i'd react, bad mood and I don't think i'd hold myself back (maybe my child in the back of the car would be enough to think about it and hold back, not sure) but otherwise I would have been too tempted to wind him up further, I loved doing it on the pitch in football and rugby just seeing them get more and more wound up. Occasionally it hurt when they broke, it was usually worth it though.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

On 21/07/2017 at 19:20, Xela said:

Didn't know where to put this... 

Had my blood pressure taken yesterday. 181/103, which puts me roughly on the cusp of Hypertension 2 and 3 aka between 'dangerous' and 'severe' as defined by the WHO.

So, heart AIDS :(

Time for more exercise esp. cardio - walking, jogging or a swim. BP can rise and fall many times during a day but all i can relate to is my own experience.

Eat less crap > exercise more > weight drops > BP drops.

You're an intelligent dude so I'm sure you know all this but one thing I'd deffo invest in is a BP monitor. Very useful bit of kit to have at home.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2017 at 19:20, Xela said:

Didn't know where to put this... 

Had my blood pressure taken yesterday. 181/103, which puts me roughly on the cusp of Hypertension 2 and 3 aka between 'dangerous' and 'severe' as defined by the WHO.

So, heart AIDS :(

Villatalk dead pool 2017? ;)

You didn't strike me as low hanging fruit, but if you're still hanging around at Xmas, you'll be a top pick for 2018 :D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â