General Chat

Stevo985

Had a doctor's appointment for my nose, been told I have large nasal polyps (after already taking a steroid nasal spray) which now requires surgery. Fml hate anything surgical related to do with the nose, the pain afterwards is putting me off but will still go ahead with surgery!

Can't you just do a really big sneeze and hope it fixes itself?

It snot that simple.

• Like 4

So currently waiting to hear if my brother's first kid has been born yet, England to get the final Indian wicket, and Villa to announce the Sanchez signing. Which will happen first?

I have until end of day tomorrow to make a decision about which of two job offers to accept (I know, the global economic crisis is over in my house). I've been stalling for a week, and I'm not really any nearer an answer.

Job 1, for my current company, in a position I've never done before that seems pretty difficult, but paying about 15% more than I'm on now, working with people I already know well and get on well with. The boss is a guy I like, but he's a bit absent when it comes to the whole line management thing, I know that he didn't bother turning up for his team's performance evaluations last year for example...There's no obvious progression in the role, other than in to 100% management, but I could stay in the role for years and see decent salary increases. I really dislike the company culture which is a factor (the half yearly performance appraisals for example, last year it was a 10 page form to fill in to explain that I'm good at my job, as well as soliciting feedback from everyone I work with...this shit can't be standard practice, surely?)

Job 2 for the local council, a very marginal pay increase, which I can get by on just fine, but it's public sector so I suspect the chance of a payrise in the future is almost non-existant in the same role. It's the same job I'm doing now, for about 75% of the role, the other 25% is a couple of areas they're going to send me on some courses to get industry recognised qualifications which would see a big increase in oppurtunities (and salary!) a few years down the line. I only met a couple of the ~10 people I'll be working with, but I got on great with them. It's an IT role and they are right on my level of geekiness, the last half hour of the interview just turned in to a chat about the software we use at home. The other 8 people could be dickheads though.

The first one will be more profitable up front, but I don't know how good I'll be at the job, or even if I'll like it. On the other hand, the girl I'll be working closely with is a 10. I might just flip a coin, I know I have to leave my current job...but where to go.

go for whichever job you will enjoy more on a day to day basis, and don't worry too much about how it'll affect you in 5 years time. 

so much can change 5 years later.

Been at hall green racetrack all night. Its the dogs! Not won anything yet after 7 races :P there is a chap working here that I'm convinced is Otto Pints VIII.

Did you ask him?

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Been at hall green racetrack all night. Its the dogs! Not won anything yet after 7 races :P there is a chap working here that I'm convinced is Otto Pints VIII.

I'd love to meet 8pints, but they say you should never meet your heroes.

• Like 1

Did you ask him?

No, I panicked and got scared.

• Like 1

I've just been on the RTE website. The second story is about a man who fell into the sea and died. Why is that news? I don't understand. What am I missing?

Is it because people are interested in hearing about a man dying? Well yes obviously. But then... why? People go on to news websites and read about people who have died in a way that is not one of the ways the people normally die. Isn't that a bit odd? I think it's very odd. There is no story here. It's about a man who fell into the sea and died. That's the end of the story. What am I, or anyone else going to gain from knowing that that happened? If there was a video of him falling, we'd all probably watch it as well. Did you hear about the man who fell into the sea and died? Yes. End of conversation. 

At this point the news may as well just give in and start having articles about a random person's cock and balls. Here's a picture of the arse of a man that you don't know who has an arse. Click here for a video of a woman with mental illness crying. A very private moment is ongoing in a house in the west of Ireland. A mother of three has just found out that she is dying of pancreatic cancer. Let's go there now and watch as she tells her family, like an episode of Cops. 

I think we need to start saying no to this sort of content. Let us not allow the media to prey upon and satisfy our horrible voyeuristic nature. It does us no good to have normalised for us this level of coverage of the extremes of what it's like to be a living and dying human. 

Edited by yillan
  • Like 1

Â