General Chat

Stevo985

It's the way I'm leaning at the moment, I'll miss the potential payrise I have to say...but the second job is the one I was offered first, and I was more than happy with the offer before the other option came along (especially the courses which I was originally going to pay for out of my own pocket as I was going to do them in my own time, and they insisted on picking up the cost).

And the hot colleague isn't single, which is a pretty critical factor.

Edited by Davkaus

It's a stupid system.

Isn't it just, inferior candidates get first choice, the best candidates who just miss out but are kept waiting and get buggered.

We've almost come to the conclusion that she's going to wait a year because as it stands, she has no guarantee of even a place in halls by the time its all sorted out and given that she's still 17 for another 11 days, we really don't think she's ready to go to a new place and have to live out in the first year with complete strangers.

Whole systems bonkers

I have until end of day tomorrow to make a decision about which of two job offers to accept (I know, the global economic crisis is over in my house). I've been stalling for a week, and I'm not really any nearer an answer.

Job 1, for my current company, in a position I've never done before that seems pretty difficult, but paying about 15% more than I'm on now, working with people I already know well and get on well with. The boss is a guy I like, but he's a bit absent when it comes to the whole line management thing, I know that he didn't bother turning up for his team's performance evaluations last year for example...There's no obvious progression in the role, other than in to 100% management, but I could stay in that role for years and see decent salary increases.

Job 2 for the local council, a very marginal pay increase, which I can get by on just fine, but it's public sector so I suspect the chance of a payrise in the future is almost non-existant in the same role. It's the same job I'm doing now, for about 75% of the role, the other 25% is a couple of areas they're going to send me on some courses to get industry recognised qualifications which would see a big increase in oppurtunities (and salary!) a few years down the line. I only met a couple of the ~10 people I'll be working with, but I got on great with them. It's an IT role and they are right on my level of geekiness, the last half hour of the interview just turned in to a chat about the software we use at home. The other 8 people could be dickheads though.

The first one will be more profitable up front, but I don't know how good I'll be at the job, or even if I'll like it. On the other hand, the girl I'll be working closely with is a 10. I might just flip a coin, I know I have to leave my current job...but where to go.

number 2 all the way.go for it.

Me I'd go for number 1, 2 years down the line in that and you're more experienced in that role, then you'd be up for all kinds of jobs elsewhere regardless of qualifications.

Plus the public sector is absolutely shafted for a good decade yet

• Like 1

French and German

it's Tony H that I feel sorry for, he just spat his coffee out all over the carpet!

A couple of interesting articles on this on the radio over the last couple of days, the benefit of a gap year to get that important little extra maturity and life experience etc., but also the increased hope this year due to an expected dip in overall results, less uptake of university is expected due to nominally lower living standards and disposable income, Russel group entering clearing etc.. They were saying they were expecting a lag of about a day and then potentially students getting their first choice but without the full grade set originally required - possibly.

Best of luck, not envious of that time of life at all.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

I have until end of day tomorrow to make a decision about which of two job offers to accept (I know, the global economic crisis is over in my house). I've been stalling for a week, and I'm not really any nearer an answer.

Job 1, for my current company, in a position I've never done before that seems pretty difficult, but paying about 15% more than I'm on now, working with people I already know well and get on well with. The boss is a guy I like, but he's a bit absent when it comes to the whole line management thing, I know that he didn't bother turning up for his team's performance evaluations last year for example...There's no obvious progression in the role, other than in to 100% management, but I could stay in that role for years and see decent salary increases.

Job 2 for the local council, a very marginal pay increase, which I can get by on just fine, but it's public sector so I suspect the chance of a payrise in the future is almost non-existant in the same role. It's the same job I'm doing now, for about 75% of the role, the other 25% is a couple of areas they're going to send me on some courses to get industry recognised qualifications which would see a big increase in oppurtunities (and salary!) a few years down the line. I only met a couple of the ~10 people I'll be working with, but I got on great with them. It's an IT role and they are right on my level of geekiness, the last half hour of the interview just turned in to a chat about the software we use at home. The other 8 people could be dickheads though.

The first one will be more profitable up front, but I don't know how good I'll be at the job, or even if I'll like it. On the other hand, the girl I'll be working closely with is a 10. I might just flip a coin, I know I have to leave my current job...but where to go.

number 2 all the way.go for it.

Me I'd go for number 1, 2 years down the line in that and you're more experienced in that role, then you'd be up for all kinds of jobs elsewhere regardless of qualifications.

Plus the public sector is absolutely shafted for a good decade yet

Maybe. There's good money in the field, the thing that concerns me is it's a fairly drastic change in jobs, I've never done it before and I'm pretty unsure of whether I can do it, never mind if I'll enjoy it, whereas the second one is basically my current job which I enjoy, but working with some extra tech which would look good on my CV, even if I'd probably need to move back in to the private sector to get the associated payrise.

don't know how old you are but my advice is if your young and single then go with what you really want,what you feel and not the safe but not what you really want option.were only here for a visit,seize every opportunity you can.

At some point I need to get round to writing and recording a really good Christmas song so I can retire from my day job and live the rest of my life off the royalties as it gets overplayed every year.

I've provbably left it too late for this year now. I'll make a note to start on it around April '15.
  • Like 2

I was discussing education, not pissing about while 'studying' sodding media or sports or McGrath forbid business.

Yep any course that ends in studies isn't worth the paper its written on
What if it's really nice paper?
  • Like 1

Had a doctor's appointment for my nose, been told I have large nasal polyps (after already taking a steroid nasal spray) which now requires surgery. Fml hate anything surgical related to do with the nose, the pain afterwards is putting me off but will still go ahead with surgery!

Had a doctor's appointment for my nose, been told I have large nasal polyps (after already taking a steroid nasal spray) which now requires surgery. Fml hate anything surgical related to do with the nose, the pain afterwards is putting me off but will still go ahead with surgery!

Can't you just do a really big sneeze and hope it fixes itself?

Â