General Chat

Stevo985

Got my results today (A2)

Got 3 B's.

Congrats man! What university are you going to?

Im taking a year out, do a bit of travelling and build up some money for Uni.
Fair play. I would've been doing my A2 this year but i was retaking the year instead. Had DDEE at first, shows how much difference hard work and dedication makes.
  • Like 1

Got my results today (A2)

Got 3 B's.

Congrats man! What university are you going to?
Im taking a year out, do a bit of travelling and build up some money for Uni.
Fair play. I would've been doing my A2 this year but i was retaking the year instead. Had DDEE at first, shows how much difference hard work and dedication makes.

Good luck with next year mate.

• Like 1

Is education still important, now there's an interesting thread. I suspect the answer now is different to 20 years ago in some people opinions.

Yes.

As much as I love the work I do (and have had some amazing years), without a little piece of paper I cannot progress myself. Thus I am heading back to uni to get that friggin' paper, even though I can do the bloody job.

Gutted for my daughter, she got A* A* B and it looks like she's not going to get into Durham because of the B but she also can't do anything because Durham haven't yet made their mind up if she can go or not. And she doesn't want to go to her insurance which is Bath because she's changed her mind about the course there. Poor thing is in UCAS purgatory, just has to sit it out whilst all the clearing places in the decent Uni's get snapped up.

Gutted for my daughter, she got A* A* B and it looks like she's not going to get into Durham because of the B but she also can't do anything because Durham haven't yet made their mind up if she can go or not. And she doesn't want to go to her insurance which is Bath because she's changed her mind about the course there. Poor thing is in UCAS purgatory, just has to sit it out whilst all the clearing places in the decent Uni's get snapped up.

That sucks :( 

Looking forward to taking hr to sign on for the first time… not

Looking forward to taking hr to sign on for the first time… not

Don't panic too much, she could still get in on her preferred choice. I've known a few people to think they have missed out - but to have been shocked to be accepted. What does she want to study?

Has she given the Durham admissions office a call? When they're weighing up who gets the additional places, being on the phone to them with the right attitude can help swing the benefit of the doubt in her direction.

Has she given the Durham admissions office a call? When they're weighing up who gets the additional places, being on the phone to them with the right attitude can help swing the benefit of the doubt in her direction.

Yep, no use whatsoever.

Yep, no use whatsoever.

Well fingers crossed for you mate. Hope she gets the place.

I have until end of day tomorrow to make a decision about which of two job offers to accept (I know, the global economic crisis is over in my house). I've been stalling for a week, and I'm not really any nearer an answer.

Job 1, for my current company, in a position I've never done before that seems pretty difficult, but paying about 15% more than I'm on now, working with people I already know well and get on well with. The boss is a guy I like, but he's a bit absent when it comes to the whole line management thing, I know that he didn't bother turning up for his team's performance evaluations last year for example...There's no obvious progression in the role, other than in to 100% management, but I could stay in the role for years and see decent salary increases. I really dislike the company culture which is a factor (the half yearly performance appraisals for example, last year it was a 10 page form to fill in to explain that I'm good at my job, as well as soliciting feedback from everyone I work with...this shit can't be standard practice, surely?)

Job 2 for the local council, a very marginal pay increase, which I can get by on just fine, but it's public sector so I suspect the chance of a payrise in the future is almost non-existant in the same role. It's the same job I'm doing now, for about 75% of the role, the other 25% is a couple of areas they're going to send me on some courses to get industry recognised qualifications which would see a big increase in oppurtunities (and salary!) a few years down the line. I only met a couple of the ~10 people I'll be working with, but I got on great with them. It's an IT role and they are right on my level of geekiness, the last half hour of the interview just turned in to a chat about the software we use at home. The other 8 people could be dickheads though.

The first one will be more profitable up front, but I don't know how good I'll be at the job, or even if I'll like it. On the other hand, the girl I'll be working closely with is a 10. I might just flip a coin, I know I have to leave my current job...but where to go.

Edited by Davkaus

I have until end of day tomorrow to make a decision about which of two job offers to accept (I know, the global economic crisis is over in my house). I've been stalling for a week, and I'm not really any nearer an answer.

Job 1, for my current company, in a position I've never done before that seems pretty difficult, but paying about 15% more than I'm on now, working with people I already know well and get on well with. The boss is a guy I like, but he's a bit absent when it comes to the whole line management thing, I know that he didn't bother turning up for his team's performance evaluations last year for example...There's no obvious progression in the role, other than in to 100% management, but I could stay in that role for years and see decent salary increases.

Job 2 for the local council, a very marginal pay increase, which I can get by on just fine, but it's public sector so I suspect the chance of a payrise in the future is almost non-existant in the same role. It's the same job I'm doing now, for about 75% of the role, the other 25% is a couple of areas they're going to send me on some courses to get industry recognised qualifications which would see a big increase in oppurtunities (and salary!) a few years down the line. I only met a couple of the ~10 people I'll be working with, but I got on great with them. It's an IT role and they are right on my level of geekiness, the last half hour of the interview just turned in to a chat about the software we use at home. The other 8 people could be dickheads though.

The first one will be more profitable up front, but I don't know how good I'll be at the job, or even if I'll like it. On the other hand, the girl I'll be working closely with is a 10. I might just flip a coin, I know I have to leave my current job...but where to go.

number 2 all the way.go for it.

Â