The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched 127 Hours with the girly last night. Thought it was boring & rubbish, the soundtrack especially irriated, as it was so obnoxious and totally obstrusive to the atmosphere at times. She said 'but it's based on a true story' I said 'it's about a bloke stuck in a hole'. Couldn't get over that fact I'm afraid, really didn't enjoy Buried for the similar reason of it just being a block in a box. And the arm cutting off scene was a cop out, I wanted to see that **** tearing off, barely anything happening at all.

Saw a bonkers French Film called 'Delicatessen' the other night. From 1991, but highly recommended - enjoyable dark humour.

It is brilliant.

For bonkers French films, you'll struggle to better

Sorry but I need to add my opinion on kill list, don't waste your time on it. Such a random film, really didn't enjoy it at all, worst film I've seen since your highness. 4/10 for me.

I know what you're talking about, the last act does come a bit out of the blue. Though it's certainly in keeping with the tone which is just monstrous.

Hey, it's a horror movie, they don't always conform. I would personally never recommend anyone not to watch a clearly mesmerizing piece of cinema just because I didn't "get it". No matter what you say about the film as a whole at the very least it's original and fresh.

I'd give it a 7/10 purely as it does have pacing issues IMO. But I really enjoyed it, as much as you can enjoy that kind of atmosphere!

i watched the girl with the dragon tattoo, very good, well worth a watch, really well cast, well shot and well acted

**HUGE SPOILERS**

what i didnt like what was the few hollywood moments, the way over the top starting sequence, the end where joly richardson is obviously too big an actress to have such a little role so they wrote out the australia bit so she got extra scenes

what i did like was how they got the ending right whereas the swedish film didnt, the very last scene where lisbeth sees him and her, the swedish film wrote it as her being anti social and going cold on him, makes a huge difference on the next 2 films

I'm a fan of Danny McBride yet I thought 'Your Highness' was awful. I was looking forward to it when I first saw the trailer, yet the trailer contained all of the best parts (and the only good parts for that matter). Shame as the idea was good and it could have been hilarious if done correctly. It was decent at times though and the whole setting and ode to fantasy films was good. I just thought and hoped it would have been funnier.

I won't be going to see 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' as I don't think the original needed to be remade. It was a good film in its own right and despite the fact that I like Fincher's work, I won't be paying to see a rehash of an already decent film. I'm sure there will be lovely shots in the Fincher version, yet I really don't think that will get me paying to see it.

Anyway, I have finally ventured back out to the cinema as I am back in the UK now. I went to see 'Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol' and thought it was pretty good for what it is. Probably the best of the bunch, although I'm still a fan of the third one. Basically it's just what you would expect from an MI film. Good entertainment and a fun ride throughout, although I did get the feeling that it dropped off a little in the last 45 minutes.

I'm off to see 'The Artist' today and can't wait. I'll be back on later to give my thoughts on it, although I'm predicting right now that they will be positive.

Sorry but I need to add my opinion on kill list, don't waste your time on it. Such a random film, really didn't enjoy it at all, worst film I've seen since your highness. 4/10 for me.

I know what you're talking about, the last act does come a bit out of the blue. Though it's certainly in keeping with the tone which is just monstrous.

Hey, it's a horror movie, they don't always conform. I would personally never recommend anyone not to watch a clearly mesmerizing piece of cinema just because I didn't "get it". No matter what you say about the film as a whole at the very least it's original and fresh.

I'd give it a 7/10 purely as it does have pacing issues IMO. But I really enjoyed it, as much as you can enjoy that kind of atmosphere!

Just watched it on DVD with the other half. I'd give it an 8 or 9, thought it was very good. Liked the blend of kitchen sink drama/hitman action/horror, and although the ending was a bit daft, it's still the tensest, creepiest film I've seen in a long while. The bit in the tunnel towards the end made me so claustrophobic I felt a bit sick.

watched three films yesterday....

Miss ion Impossible 4 - thought it was great...im a fan of all the films and this was a worthy addition...full of brilliant action scenes...very fast pace to the

film and cruise on top form....say what you want about him but the guy is a proper actor and still can't believe he did his own stunts

Adjustment Bureau - another good film...i was expecting to be entertained by the "catch me if you can" element to the story and i was....but what surprised

me most was how moving and emotional the central relationship was...yes the ending did seem a bit of a cop out but i found myself

wanting it to happen!

Insidious - a slightly creepy first half...let down by a laughable second...shame

Watched X-Men First Class last night and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Having a proper origins storyline set in the sixties really worked well as did the main leads, McAvoy, Fassbender and the always excellent Kevin Bacon.

Worth a watch!

Having a proper origins storyline set in the sixties really worked well as did the main leads, McAvoy, Fassbender and the always excellent Kevin Bacon.

Worth a watch!

Your avatar is mesmerizing.

watched sherlock holmes really liked it, couldnt make my mind up if they'd over done it with the slow mo but jared harris as moriaty was really well cast IMO (considering id heard in the 1st film they didnt reveal him at the end because they wanted a huge name to play him) and him vs downey worked, moran was a decent character as was simza (but i dont see where she can go in a 3rd film)

I saw it the other day as well , I'd heard mainly bad things about it but I thought it was pretty good ,one of the better prequels

I wasn't that impressed by First Class. The whole film felt like something codged together (surprise surprise really, because it was - it's the result of 2 ideas being slammed together, an X-Men prequel coupled to a Magneto: Origins film). The Magneto bits had legs and were the greatest successes of the film, even if Fassbender couldn't hold his accent and by the end Magneto had become fully fledged Irish. The associated Xavier stuff worked fairly well too.

But the stuff concerning the beginning of the mutant school was bobbins. The characters they chose were mad - why would you choose to pick characters like Banshee for an X-Men prequel? Nobody knows who Banshee is and nobody cares to know either. Why pick a character who in canon is Cyclops' brother? Just do Cyclops. Only Beast really worked. It didn't help that these poorly chosen characters were then poorly played, and ultimately didn't really do much in the film. They were like really bad window dressing.

It's a fun film and it has it's moments, certainly it's a fun watch but I couldn't escape feeling that you could have done a lot more with this. I actually thought a Magneto: Origins film with opportunity given to explore Xavier's relationship with him (and an associated origin, really) would be a great watch, especially if we got to see more Magneto Nazi hunting... but alas that was decided to not be enough.

I watched Drive yesterday, loved the way it was filmed, the story and the acting but I thought the ending was a touch weak and also there was two really annoying things for me. Why was he walking around with a blood soaked jacket? Surely that would draw a lot of attention and, this is quite anal, when he was in the car chase and reversing the sound effects made out the car was changing gears.

Â