The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I saw 'The Artist' last Friday and really enjoyed it. It's an extremely well executed film that looks back on silent cinema.

How times have changed, yet old silent films never seem to lose their magic. Another great exploration of cinema, not long after the equally good 'Hugo'.

I would certainly recommend 'The Artist' if you are a film lover. The dog is great in it too and I can see why the press are going crazy over him.

Up next for me will be 'War Horse' on Friday.

I watched Step Brothers last night and you know what.... I get it. I get Will Ferrell.

I decided to watch it after you posted this and cant believe how much I liked it.

Boats n hoes, I gotta have me more boats and hoes.

:D

Good stuff. I recall watching it years ago and falling asleep. This time I watched it with a couple of mates on a big screen and for whatever reason I let it get under my skin. It's childish but it's also clearly well drawn and well acted.

The bunk bed scene is easily the funniest thing I've seen on film in a very, very long time.

Got "Stranger than fiction" tonight.

I cannot bring myself to go and see The Artist. I think it's the simple fact that everyone is telling me I should that is putting me off.

I'm a great fan of cinema and film in general, clearly. In the main I like good cinema and I tend to be rather normal in my tastes. From Old Boy to Glengarry Glen Ross, if it's well executed on the basic levels then the chances are I'll like it. But I just can't get excited over a black and white silent movie, no matter how hard I try. No matter the historical implication. Who gives a **** about the historical implications anyway? Talkies were invented for a reason, to give actors another dimension. A dimension that happens to be really important in terms of creation to me.

I need to be sold on it, because right now I feel like I have to see it rather than I want to see it. That's never good.

The bunk bed scene is easily the funniest thing I've seen on film in a very, very long time.

I was watching it in bed with earphones on, not sure the mrs was too happy when I start laughing out loud at that bit.

Hadnt heard of stranger than fiction, think I might watch it after the footy, nice one.

I cannot bring myself to go and see The Artist. I think it's the simple fact that everyone is telling me I should that is putting me off.

I'm a great fan of cinema and film in general, clearly. In the main I like good cinema and I tend to be rather normal in my tastes. From Old Boy to Glengarry Glen Ross, if it's well executed on the basic levels then the chances are I'll like it. But I just can't get excited over a black and white silent movie, no matter how hard I try. No matter the historical implication. Who gives a **** about the historical implications anyway? Talkies were invented for a reason, to give actors another dimension. A dimension that happens to be really important in terms of creation to me.

I need to be sold on it, because right now I feel like I have to see it rather than I want to see it. That's never good.

I'm the same. I could never stand silent movies anyway. I love the sound of words too much.

I'll be giving it a miss.

I watched Step Brothers last night and you know what.... I get it. I get Will Ferrell.

I decided to watch it after you posted this and cant believe how much I liked it.

So many good bits in this film, "chest pube & ball fro" spring to mind along with the scene on the drum kit and the job interviews.

Very very funny.

Good stuff. I recall watching it years ago and falling asleep. This time I watched it with a couple of mates on a big screen and for whatever reason I let it get under my skin. It's childish but it's also clearly well drawn and well acted.

I like 'Stranger Than Fiction' although it's completely different to 'Step Brothers'. It is a very toned down and intelligent (at times) comedy. I only laughed a few times during it, yet I think it is one of his best films. Although nothing can top 'Anchorman'...

i started the netflix trial tonight, early impression is that there is far more choice than lovefilms streaming, it has tv and probably twice as many films, same as lovefilm in that you cant stream everything and they have a very poor selection of new films

you get a month trial per facebook account so i might see how long i can keep it going before i have to pay £6 for it

watched the last train home, id seen it before, documentary on how 130 million people in china work in cities hundreds of miles away and return home once ayear for new years, looks at the migration, the impact it has on children growing up back home raised by grandparents and of course the hundreds of thousands turning up at the train station to go home, different world

So many good bits in this film, "chest pube & ball fro" spring to mind along with the scene on the drum kit and the job interviews.

Very very funny.

Brennan: Did we just become best friends?

Dale: Yep!

Brennan: Do you wanna do Karate in the garage?

Dale: Yep!

It's superb.

You were right, it really was good.

I think I'd actually prepared myself to be disappointed by it, but I wasn't. At all.

I'm still not sure they got Salander totally right, but I think it's hard to portray her as withdrawn as she comes across in the books, so it was certainly close enough.

Definitely an improvement over the Swedish versions.

Loved it.

I like 'Stranger Than Fiction' although it's completely different to 'Step Brothers'. It is a very toned down and intelligent (at times) comedy. I only laughed a few times during it, yet I think it is one of his best films. Although nothing can top 'Anchorman'...

Well I watched it and youre not wrong its completely different, I didnt read anything about it as DDID said he was watching so I thought thats recommendation enough. Had I have known what it was about not sure i'd of watched it but saying that I quite enjoyed it and I've got a thing for Maggie Gyllenhaal and that tattoo. Ultimately its a romance and I dont think i've ever watched that genre without the mrs so afterwards I had to stick a bit of Die Hard on before I went to sleep :D

Anyone looking forward to Chronicle?

I think the trailer looks awesome and cant wait to see it, though, it could quite easily be shite.

Trailer

They trailed that when I was at the cinema last night and I have to say I'm intrigued by it.

Yeah I just randomly came across the trailer too. I quite like the hand held camera type films (Cloverfied etc) so this does look quite interesting.

I just have this gut feeling it will turn out to be terrible, yet I still really want to see it.

It worked for Blair Witch, I still find that film unsettling.

Every movie since, though, pretty much follows the same formula. Banal conversation followed by some odd things happening followed by a cheeky glimpse of the antagonist followed by screaming and more odd things before finishing off with a nice shot of the nasty which is of course disappointing.

Actually REC is an exception, although that isn't strictly found footage and is scary due to paranoia rather than odd things happening, same with Blair Witch.

Ill echo others sentiments re: Stranger than Fiction, an absolutely superb film, the type that cheers me up after a shit day.

Ive got Senna to watch but i need to be in the mood for doc's.

Â