The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

As I whinged about a few days back, the missus' choice of Lovefilm DVD was this week's viewing:

2974_2387.jpg

Film itself wasn't all that bad (and I do love Sam Rockwell), but Hilary Swank is truly, truly dreadful. I mean, frightningly awful. You know it's bad when you're hoping that Minnie Driver is in the scene too as that somehow lessens the pain.

I admit to being predjudiced: I have not seen the Sadler remake, nor do I wish to. The original is one of those perfect movies that should be left alone.

Very topical too, in its subject matter - capitalism in a recession, and the corruption of the press.

Watched Zodiac and Joint Security Area last night.

Zodiac is **** creepy. Really long at about 2 hours 30 but I didn't want it to end, great crime thriller.

JSA is about the border between North and South Korea, and is like a war-time crime mystery.

Both highly recommended.

HELP IS NEEDED

me dad phoned me earlier asking about a film in which some young kids put fireworks (or firecrackers) in an old mailbox and it makes a massive KABLAMMO, bigger than they were expecting

what film is this from? for some reason I am thinking it was ''IT'' but i'm not sure

Thats te one mate, I found a description of that scene on the net and he said it's definately the one

He was saying it's a pretty old film which is what threw me, butterfly effect wasn't all that bad of a film if I remember rightly was it?

I thought it was fantastic myself, if you can get over the obvious loopholes and stuff.

Tonight I will be grabbing a pizza and watching this -

zidane_a_21st_century_portrait_import.jpg

I remember watching this when it first came out on DVD a while ago. For me, it's one of the greatest football films of all time (me, being a massive Zidane fan) and perhaps only bettered by the Garincha movie.

Balletic, is the word I would use.

Tonight I will be grabbing a pizza and watching this -

zidane_a_21st_century_portrait_import.jpg

I remember watching this when it first came out on DVD a while ago. For me, it's one of the greatest football films of all time (me, being a massive Zidane fan) and perhaps only bettered by the Garincha movie.

Balletic, is the word I would use.

I found it incredibly taxing at points, but frankly I'm a bit hungover from last night so almost nodding off at one point was an understandable reaction. A great work of art rather than a feature film I think you'll agree? I would say it captures the man, from what I know, and the footballer almost to perfection. Including the ending which I won't give away for those that don't know, because I didn't and it raised more than a wry smile.

Well worth a watch. Interesting and beautiful rather than epic. 7/10

A great work of art rather than a feature film I think you'll agree?

To be honest Dave, that was how I was advised to approach it, and that's precisely what I did. I absolutely loved it.

I'm not really into the whole super hero type films, but can usually enjoy them to a degree. ... but I have to say I thought captain america was just an embarrassment to films.

Really? I like superhero films (though I also believe that many disappoint almost unerringly in some way), but even taking that into account I can't see what would make it an embarassment to film. It's silly as hell but it's basically a 'boys own' adventure put on screen, and accepting that it was always going to be a silly romp (which it pretty much had to be) I struggled to really find too many flaws with it.

Iron Man was superb. Loved Batman Begins. In general though, super hero movies are lacking, IMO.

Â