The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Good to see Noomi Rapace in an international movie too.

michael nyqvist is the main baddie in mission impossible, it's gonna weird, seen him it that seeing her in SH and then watching the remake

Guess they both got a minor international breakthrough with the original GWTDT. Will probably watch the remake tomorrow.

I think it'll be strange to see Nyqvist as a baddie. :) He's almost always one of the good guys in his movies.

dead-snow-dvd-cover.jpg

Cracking little flick. Feels like it takes a while to get going but from about 40 minutes in it's gore-tastic, full of homages and very self aware (and very funny as a result). I just hope people can stick with it till then. To be honest though it would have been hard to **** up a film about Nazi Zombies. Very much recommended for fans of the zombie/horror/comedy genre and indeed anyone who might like a twist on the teen-slasher schtick. The acting is pretty decent as well.

7/10 purely for the age it takes to get moving.

saw this about a year ago, got to say really enjoyed it too.

Re: Moneyball (oh and SPOILER ALERT at the bottom if you haven't seen it)

I really enjoyed it!

Agree with the majority re - Moneyball.

I've been a fan of the game some 15 years, I've read the book it's very, very loosely based on. I'm amazed at how well it works on screen. Might I just say one of Pitts best performances for quite a long time.

Yeah I can see why you liked it, it's a good film - and I'm usually a fan of sports films (based on real life or not), but as much as I wanted to I could get past a few things...

Firstly, you don't really get to know much about any of the characters other than Pitt and as a result you don't develop any emotional ties to them. For me a lot more should have been made of Jonah Hill's character and perhaps Phillip Seymour Hoffman's too.

Secondly, the film naturally crescendos towards proving that Beane's new fathomed way of building a baseball team is a success - fine. So why not make a bit more of the 20 game winning streak? Yeah they focus on the final game when he's in the gym unable to watch, and yeah I know it's used as a way of focusing on that particular character but I'd have liked to see a bit more baseball. I guess I didn't expect it to be so much built around Beane's character and nothing else at the end of the day.

Re: Moneyball (oh and SPOILER ALERT at the bottom if you haven't seen it)

I really enjoyed it!

Agree with the majority re - Moneyball.

I've been a fan of the game some 15 years, I've read the book it's very, very loosely based on. I'm amazed at how well it works on screen. Might I just say one of Pitts best performances for quite a long time.

Yeah I can see why you liked it, it's a good film - and I'm usually a fan of sports films (based on real life or not), but as much as I wanted to I could get past a few things...

Firstly, you don't really get to know much about any of the characters other than Pitt and as a result you don't develop any emotional ties to them. For me a lot more should have been made of Jonah Hill's character and perhaps Phillip Seymour Hoffman's too.

Secondly, the film naturally crescendos towards proving that Beane's new fathomed way of building a baseball team is a success - fine. So why not make a bit more of the 20 game winning streak? Yeah they focus on the final game when he's in the gym unable to watch, and yeah I know it's used as a way of focusing on that particular character but I'd have liked to see a bit more baseball. I guess I didn't expect it to be so much built around Beane's character and nothing else at the end of the day.

Well, the film (and the book) are about Billy Beane. I think they develop Peter Brand just fine and his role in Beane's life is captured as well as it could be. The closing monologue should be enough to show you that. Art Howes character is what he is, a stubborn dinosaur. At what point did they fail to create that image? To be honest, there isn't a lot to Art Howe in real life. I think they dramatist him well enough.

I thought his relationship with his daughter was handled very well and at just over two hours the film is plenty long enough. In fact, I think it's paced incredibly. If you ever get round to reading the book you'll see why. It's fun, but it's messy.

9/10, feeling generous!

I promised the wife that at some point (seeing as I got it for her) we should watch "Bridesmaids". The "We" is down to the deal she watches the films I pic and vica verca. This was her time....

Not as bad as I thought, 2 hours was a stretch and the joke really is on women to be fair. It's more of a documentary on how shallow birds are when it comes to Weddings, friends and life in general IMO. All the screaming when they see a mate they have not seen since Wednesday and so on.

5/10 - The food poisoning bit was super funny though.

I've sadly not seen the original Swedish adaptations, so can't compare, but I would say that having watched it tonight, Finchers film is one of the best I've seen this year.

Incredibly meh in all departments.

Fincher in first gear, could have made it with his eyes closed.

Craig is perfectly decent but so unbelievable from the character he is meant to be in the books and original film, portly loveable brilliant investigator.

Not a buff 'english' good looking, badly done clumsy bloke.

Whats with the random inappropriate title sequence as well, nice design though?

Kill-List-Poster-610x462.jpg

Awesome.

x2.

So much to love about it, from the fantastic story ambiguity throughout to the great performances (who would have thought Neil Maskell could show this sort of depth?). I was also particularly impressed by the taut, claustrophobic direction with it's choppy, unconventional camerawork.

Whatever you do, DON'T read anything about it, just watch it. It's one of those rare modern movies that doesn't signpost every single aspect of the story and leaves you to make up your own mind.

Recommended.

Saw The Other Guys. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Quite enjoyed it. Massive Zoolander fan and also Anchorman. Pretty much everything Ferrell film since has been meh but everyone says Stepbrothers good so must check that out

The 1st one is good, doesn't pull any punches and rapace is excellent, the rest of it IMO can easily be bettered with a bigger budget the 2/3 ones should be easy to beat, they were cheap and rushed (but still good)

Inspired by how good the remake is and how much I've heard people like the originals I'm considering picking up the extended trilogy of the original films...

My nephew roped me into watching "Pirates of the Caribbean Part 4" over Christmas...I still have a headache

See, I actually enjoyed this, was just alot more fun and daft much like the first one to me, infinitely better than the terrible tripe the second and third films offered up, plus there was no keira knightly or orlando bloom in sight and it had salma hayek and Ian McShane instead :thumb:

Â