The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Coriolanus isnt out until the 20th

i cant wait to see it, surprised how much advertising its getting i thought it would slip under the radar and be hard to find a cinema showing it

j edgar is also out next weekend and i want to see that too despite the poor reviews

Is Coriolanus a straight rendition of the Shakespeare text, or a "re-imagining"?

Hasn't been a good Shakespeare movie for ages.

And Hollywood should also investigate John Webster's Jacobean plays. He was the Peckinpah/Tarantino of his day.

Is Coriolanus a straight rendition of the Shakespeare text, or a "re-imagining"?

Hasn't been a good Shakespeare movie for ages.

It's an adaptation, shifted to modern day - it has Jon Snow doing bits of the text to camera like a TV news anchor might had such a thing existed in Shakespeares day.

Fiennes has spoken about how he's cut a few bits. Because he felt he had to.

It uses the Shakespearean dialogue but it's been edited down to fit into two hours or so.

Similar to the recent Romeo & Juliet without the pop music and more guns and shit.

Recent? You mean the Baz Luhrmann 1996 one? Well that was a pile of steaming shite.

From what I've seen of it it most reminds me of an adaptation from a fair while ago that set Macbeth in a kind of apocalyptic setting on motorbikes. Which worked considerably better than you might expect.

What Coriolanus basically does is set a Shakespeare play in a modern day civil war.

just seen war horse, its good with a great cast and the somme scenes are brilliant but IMO its full of annoying bits

i couldnt get my head around how much the boy loves a horse, at times i found it creepy

its way way over the top fantasy stuff, forget the "miraculous horse" its described as its more than that, but filmed in typical gritty senior spielbergo war scenes

none of the foreigners speak foreign they all speak english

it has funny moments thrown in which seem way out of place, a horse doing funny things at the start i can understand, a funny scene on the middle of the somme battlefield i cant

probably about a 7/10 for me, full of very good parts but disappointing overall

reckon i'll see Shame this weekend.

i'm all for long, lingering shots of miserable post-coitus faces.

Off to see that next week. Directed by Steve McQueen who directed the excellent Hunger (again with Fassbender)

Looking forward to this too. I'll probably go and see it tomorrow or at some point during the week.

I also want to see 'The Darkest Hour', although it seems like it is only showing in 3D. I'm not a fan of 3D yet I may bite the bullet to give this one a go.

I went to see 'War Horse' yesterday and agree with some of the things villa4europe has said. The foreigners all speaking English really did annoy me and I feel that it insults the intelligence of the viewers when films do that. Plus the film did seem to feel like a play at times (which did come before the film).

Some of the acting was good and the swooping Spielberg shots were fantastic at times. I also liked the scenes with a bit of humour. It was typical modern Spielberg though and you can tell that it was created just for awards. It's nowhere near the heights of his old films and wasn't as good as 'Empire of the Sun' in my opinion. I had been hoping that it would reach the heights of that. The main character in it has nothing on Bale as a child actor either.

In all honesty I think that Abrams did a better job at doing Spielberg in 'Super 8' than the man himself does now. The last quality film Spielberg created was 'Munich' in my opinion, yet at least 'War Horse' is a step back in the right direction.

Basically I enjoyed it yet I don't think it reaches the heights of Spielberg's older films. Worth a watch as it looks spectacular at times and the way the horse is captured throughout is also impressive.

The obvious problem with Spielberg is that he has set the bar so high for himself some are always going to be disappointed. ET, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List. Close Encounters? Munich? I mean the guy is a freak of nature.

You could argue that Munich was his last potentially 'great' piece, but even that's only 3 films ago dictatorially speaking.

Legend.

Just out of 'Shame'.

Wow, it was some experience.

Uncompromising and enthralling.

Won't be every one's cup of tea, but it's one of those that gets inside your head, and I expect it to be in mine for a while yet.

Anyone looking forward to Chronicle?

I think the trailer looks awesome and cant wait to see it, though, it could quite easily be shite.

Trailer

They trailed that when I was at the cinema last night and I have to say I'm intrigued by it.

I've been keeping tabs on this and it does look like it could be very good. Apparently part of the trailer ruins the entire thing though...

Â