The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Iron Man was superb. Loved Batman Begins. In general though, super hero movies are lacking, IMO.

I would agree with that, as I say I find they, even the good ones, will in some way disappoint.

Iron Man is good entertainment and a fun watch with some nice performances, but suffers from a fairly weak final act thats a little underwhelming.

Batman Begins suffers from a fairly weak villain as well (plot flaws too) though gets away with it a little as it is almost totally the epitome of an origin story (most superhero films featuring an origin tend to do 'origin+half arsed proper story', Begins focuses so much on Wayne becoming Batman it kinda gets away with it). It also imo, on reflection now 6 years after release, has the trappings of a film that wasn't quite the full imagining that Nolan wanted it to be, something he managed with TDK.

Speaking of which, TDK suffers from some really messy scenes, the chase seen with Dent in the swat van for a start, and Jokers comeuppance has never quite sat right with me.

And so on. There just seems to be something about superhero movies that leaves even the good ones feeling just a little lacking somehow, which is odd since, really, all they are are action movies. It's kinda why, despite being a fan of superhero films (hell, superhero media full stop :oops:), I hope the clamour to have all of them get film adaptations ends and there is an attempt to get the quality of the ones that do get made be jaw dropping.

I want the superhero equivalent of Heat - a movie that just delivers from start to end in every facet, rather than let you down in some manner. TDK is probably the closest we've got so far.

Better than the swedish version?

I watched mission impossible, very good, better than bourne and the recent bonds IMO

Will be strange when I watch Sherlock holmes tomorrow, lisbeth and blomqvist in other films followed by gwdt on Thursday

Also watched water for elephants, certainly not bad and nowhere near as bad as some romantic films, just the chemistry between rpatz and RW isn't good enough to carry the film, waltz turning in another scene stealer is probably the only thing worth watching for

I've watched 5 films this Christmas weekend. Can't be bothered to review them as such but they're all worth a watch. Ratings as follows.

The Outlaw Josey Wales - 7/10

District 9 - 8/10

Shutter Island - 8/10

Star Trek - 8/10

Contagion - 6/10

6 might be a bit harsh for Contagion but I'm not big on half marks so there you have it. It's a bit too wooly for me. Some good performances and interesting enough considering the likelihood of it happening. Josey Wales is a western and a pretty decent one at that, the other three are all good movies in their own right.

went to see Sherlock Holmes 2 last night and really enjoyed it - regardless of the fact it's a 19th century buddy cop action flick!!!

Finally Jude Law has found his best role!

This. Really enjoyed it too. Good to see Noomi Rapace in an international movie too. Thought she did well. The whole film gets 7.5/10 from me.

Have also seen Contagion which was ok. A bit boring at times, but decent. 6/10.

And Insidious. Was rather scary at times. As a film it's probably 4-5/10 but as a horror film I think it was an 8/10 if that makes sense. :P The worst part was the demon. Not scary, just annoying.

Just watched super 8, turned it off 20 mins before the end. boring kiddy film

That's a bit of a lashing statement to be fair. I actually like 'Super 8'. It has some issues throughout, yet overall I enjoyed it. Plus I am a fan of Abrams, despite the fact that I think he needs to tone down his lens flares a little...

I think the children in the film were cast really well and impressive for their age. The action sequences (train crash especially) were good and the music score was good. It is basically an ode to Spielberg and succeeds 90% of the time. However, it just didn't tug at the heart strings like Spielberg films. The alien was a bit of a letdown aswell.

On another note, I actually haven't been to the cinema for the past week or so as I am visiting family. I'm getting withdrawal sumptoms in a big way.

dead-snow-dvd-cover.jpg

Cracking little flick. Feels like it takes a while to get going but from about 40 minutes in it's gore-tastic, full of homages and very self aware (and very funny as a result). I just hope people can stick with it till then. To be honest though it would have been hard to **** up a film about Nazi Zombies. Very much recommended for fans of the zombie/horror/comedy genre and indeed anyone who might like a twist on the teen-slasher schtick. The acting is pretty decent as well.

7/10 purely for the age it takes to get moving.

Â