The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

my JWD review: i can see why the critics hated it. it was all over the place and the plot (such as it was) was utterly bonkers. but as a viewer, probably the 2nd most enjoyable JP/JW film after the original. you can pick holes in it all day long, but it's a proper rollercoaster of a film that was super fun to watch

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I know there are species which lived in cold conditions, but I doubt they were dive bombing into ice water and still moving at such speeds :)

I wasn't around to check though :D

Well The Northman was fairly crap. Felt like the movie was made by a 14 y.o.

Just save yourself the time and go watch When The Raven Flies instead. Might be almost 40 years old but still better than The Northman.

5/10 nonsense. Be ware of those Icelandic snakes 🙄

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Just got back from watching the new Jurassic Park at the every man cinema.

Wife and I took our eldest to watch it, just as my mom and dad took me to the odean at merry hill in 1993 to watch the first one.

JP will always be "my favourite film".  I know there are way better films, but JP to me is just so monumentally important in my growing up.  As a younger brother (6.5 years younger), JP was one of the first things I liked and enjoyed that my brother didn't, so it's always felt like my little "thing".

I collected the "Dinosaurs!" Magazines as a kid, always wanted toy dinosaurs from the Early Learning Center when I was 4/5/6 and anything JP I've always really enjoyed.  

The first is a legitimately good action/adventure film.  I must have watched it over 50 times.  In 97 on a rainy day during my summer holiday to Cornwall, my mom took me to the cinema in Newquay to watch "The Lost World", whilst my brother and dad continued to the beach.

In 2001, me and my mate Jack from high school walked to the Quinton cinema on a boiling hot summer day to go watch Jurassic Park 3.

I knew JP1 was the best, but it was still my thing.

Jump forward 14/15 years and I've got a baby and a new JP is being talked about.  With my little boy, we watch Dinosaur Train, I sit with him to watch Jurassic Park when his mom is out so we don't get in trouble and fast forward the scary bits with him.

2 more years and I'm taking him to Watchet beach to find our own fossils.  We bring the fossils home and my wife buys us display cases which we have in the living room.  Who knew ammonites made such good convo starters? More trips to Wren's Nest happen.

We watch JP2/Jurassic World with my eldest (JP3 scared him).

For father's Day, I get spinosaurus teeth, a Jurassic Park music box (little box with a crank).  The next father's Day I ask for a t-rex skull to go with my stuff in my office.

All this culminates in going to the cinema tonight with my kid and wife.

The film is mental.  It's got so many throw backs my head is still spinning and I'm being sick in my mouth a little.  That's JUST the Jurassic Park trilogy.  The Jurassic World casts story is doubly mental.  Made up Dino's coming out of their arses, throw backs to films made 5 years ago.. a car chase scene which wouldn't have looked out of place in "The Transporter", characters saying horribly sassy one liners at idiotic points and SO.MUCH.HAPPY.COINCIDENCE. it hurts.  Luckiest bastards alive!

Dinosaurs in extremely cold environments..  what?!  

Dimetrodons in deep cave systems, WHAT??

There's 4/5 different stories happening and it's all so mental.

Watch out for Quetzalcoatlus! I mean.. OK?! One pissed off birdy.

That's the first 5 mins of act 2 described.  You still have another 90 minutes!

Oh god it's cheesy.  Oh god.. 

Oh god... I kinda loved it.

I don't think Malcolm, Alan and Ellie handed over the torch as much as I did tonight.  I was watching my kids face just as much as the movie and that'll stick with me for much longer.

Thanks JP/JW, it's been a blast :)

Oh god it's cheesy.

tl;dr

😂

• Like 1

Working my way through through toy story with my daughter ahead of lightyear at the weekend

Just finished 3, from memory 4 is a perfectly OK film but after watching 3 again it feels even more unnecessary than it did at the time, 3 has a perfect ending, I even think its quite an emotional ending 

On 11/06/2022 at 23:27, lapal_fan said:

Just got back from watching the new Jurassic Park at the every man cinema.

Wife and I took our eldest to watch it, just as my mom and dad took me to the odean at merry hill in 1993 to watch the first one.

JP will always be "my favourite film".  I know there are way better films, but JP to me is just so monumentally important in my growing up.  As a younger brother (6.5 years younger), JP was one of the first things I liked and enjoyed that my brother didn't, so it's always felt like my little "thing".

I collected the "Dinosaurs!" Magazines as a kid, always wanted toy dinosaurs from the Early Learning Center when I was 4/5/6 and anything JP I've always really enjoyed.  

The first is a legitimately good action/adventure film.  I must have watched it over 50 times.  In 97 on a rainy day during my summer holiday to Cornwall, my mom took me to the cinema in Newquay to watch "The Lost World", whilst my brother and dad continued to the beach.

In 2001, me and my mate Jack from high school walked to the Quinton cinema on a boiling hot summer day to go watch Jurassic Park 3.

I knew JP1 was the best, but it was still my thing.

Jump forward 14/15 years and I've got a baby and a new JP is being talked about.  With my little boy, we watch Dinosaur Train, I sit with him to watch Jurassic Park when his mom is out so we don't get in trouble and fast forward the scary bits with him.

2 more years and I'm taking him to Watchet beach to find our own fossils.  We bring the fossils home and my wife buys us display cases which we have in the living room.  Who knew ammonites made such good convo starters? More trips to Wren's Nest happen.

We watch JP2/Jurassic World with my eldest (JP3 scared him).

For father's Day, I get spinosaurus teeth, a Jurassic Park music box (little box with a crank).  The next father's Day I ask for a t-rex skull to go with my stuff in my office.

All this culminates in going to the cinema tonight with my kid and wife.

The film is mental.  It's got so many throw backs my head is still spinning and I'm being sick in my mouth a little.  That's JUST the Jurassic Park trilogy.  The Jurassic World casts story is doubly mental.  Made up Dino's coming out of their arses, throw backs to films made 5 years ago.. a car chase scene which wouldn't have looked out of place in "The Transporter", characters saying horribly sassy one liners at idiotic points and SO.MUCH.HAPPY.COINCIDENCE. it hurts.  Luckiest bastards alive!

Dinosaurs in extremely cold environments..  what?!  

Dimetrodons in deep cave systems, WHAT??

There's 4/5 different stories happening and it's all so mental.

Watch out for Quetzalcoatlus! I mean.. OK?! One pissed off birdy.

That's the first 5 mins of act 2 described.  You still have another 90 minutes!

Oh god it's cheesy.  Oh god.. 

Oh god... I kinda loved it.

I don't think Malcolm, Alan and Ellie handed over the torch as much as I did tonight.  I was watching my kids face just as much as the movie and that'll stick with me for much longer.

Thanks JP/JW, it's been a blast :)

Oh god it's cheesy.

So I think you’re saying great for kids but crap for adults?

Watched The Batman last night.

Meh. Was ok. A solid 7/10. May be better on second viewing perhaps. I don’t have many strong feelings about it either way which tells me it didn’t do anything new or memorable enough. The film kind of just happened. Poor Batmobile too. 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 23:27, lapal_fan said:

We bring the fossils home and my wife buys us display cases which we have in the living room.  Who knew ammonites made such good convo starters?

*VT gathering at the lapal_fan house*

Everyone: “NO-ONE mention those **** rocks to him, for Christ’s sake”

Edited by Rob182
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, useless said:

blue-is-the-warmest-color.jpg

Blue Is the Warmest Color - Mostly good, great performances from the two leads.

Good film unfortunately sullied by the various stories about exploitation of its stars during the making. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Working my way through through toy story with my daughter ahead of lightyear at the weekend

Just finished 3, from memory 4 is a perfectly OK film but after watching 3 again it feels even more unnecessary than it did at the time, 3 has a perfect ending, I even think its quite an emotional ending 

Lightyear has been banned in a number of Middle Eastern countries think including the home of the Newcastle and City owners :D  

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

*VT gathering at the lapal_fan house*

Everyone: “NO-ONE mention those **** rocks to him, for Christ’s sake”

That's 18 months of posts right there!

I've got MORE in the garden!!! Come! Look!

• Haha 1

128973-extraordinary-stories.webp
Historias £xtraordinarias (Mariano Llinás) - In this adventurous experiment in storytelling, secret identities, missing persons, lost treasures, exotic beasts and desperate criminals are only a few of the elements woven into a grand tapestry of mysteries.

Â