The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 28/05/2022 at 17:07, Stevo985 said:

Just back from this

Screenshot_20220409_140938.jpg?fit=1195,

I’ve never seen anything like it. 

Fantastic

Just got back from it myself. What a movie!

First time I've ever come out of a film wishing I'd had a notepad to jot down my thoughts as it was going along.

"Here's modern life contrasted with existentialism, through the eyes of prime Vic and Bob". Bonkers and profound all in one.

Also, massive props to The Light Cinema in Stockport. The £50 offer got us a pizza each, a bottle of wine and 2 tickets. It's a great environment anyway, with the added bonus of luxury screens upstairs. They're about to open bowling, a proper arcade and a karaoke room in there too.

And you can drink booze during the film, even though it's not a little boutiquey place.

Very impressive.

• Like 3

Top Gun is such a nostalgic film for me. I'm scared of seeing the new but also happy to go with the cheese if it sits well. 

I don't want a serious film. I want an action flick with entertaining scenes that feels like it fits in the same world. 

If I wanted serious, I'd be wanting a film about how Van Damme went from a shower to the Kumite. Like what planes and trains he went on. Instead I got one of the best fighting films ever. 

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Top Gun is such a nostalgic film for me. I'm scared of seeing the new but also happy to go with the cheese if it sits well. 

I don't want a serious film. I want an action flick with entertaining scenes that feels like it fits in the same world. 

If I wanted serious, I'd be wanting a film about how Van Damme went from a shower to the Kumite. Like what planes and trains he went on. Instead I got one of the best fighting films ever. 

I suggest you go see Maverick if you want an action flick in the same vein as the original. It's big, it's dumb but it's entertaining and is definitely suited to the big screen. 

• Like 2

The gap between the two Top Guns  (1986-2022)   is more than 10 years than the Hustler (1961)  and The Color of Money (1986) co-staring a young Tom Cruise. In that Newman was a old man whereas Tom still looks basically the same.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, blandy said:

I always knew Christopher Robin was a wrong ‘un. Stay clear of hundred acre wood.

RIP Piglet

Spoiler

It appears they have killed and eaten Eeyore. My childhood is imploding 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The gap between the two Top Guns  (1986-2022)   is more than 10 years than the Hustler (1961)  and The Color of Money (1986) co-staring a young Tom Cruise. In that Newman was a old man whereas Tom still looks basically the same.

I would imagine his face will start falling off at some point

52 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I find stuff like this interesting. Another example below (although tv) -

Top picture is Janet Leigh in Columbo, 1975. She’s playing a “faded, ageing movie star”. Leigh was 48 at the time.

Bottom picture is Faye Dunaway in Columbo, 1993. Basically playing a femme fatale, turning every male character’s head whenever she enters the room. Dunaway was 52 at the time.

F83CD8DF-70BF-436E-8552-AAC9F0544A59.thumb.jpeg.d7cf1db0f3db770bfe24f27c90b57825.jpeg

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Was Janet Leigh a smoker? Newman was a heavy smoker and that ages anyone, even if were a big moviestar.

It was the 70s. Everyone was a smoker (almost).

On 24/05/2022 at 18:55, villa4europe said:

Sure I read somewhere that this is the biggest budget film Netflix have ever done (might be because they're only distributors for a lot of them) 

Yess the Gosling is back 😍

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The marketing for Dominion is 👌

A pre-release of this is being screened at Glastonbury one morning before any bands I want to watch start, seriously tempted if I'm awake early enough.

• Like 1

Just got back from the new Alex Garland movie...

spacer.png

It's...certainly an interesting and original one. I did enjoy it even though I have to say I didn't understand it fully. I feel a couple of repeat watches might be in order.

Definitely going to be a marmite movie, as I can see some people hating it (especially the final third).

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

Â