The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Apparently that film (The Sadness) was funded by cryptocurrency and money earned by the producers cam girl business. 

Oh really didnt know that. @Designer1 my missus is still having nightmares about that film this morning! She said never  again 😂

39 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I see James Caan as sadly left the stage. I remember as a kid going to The Gaumont to see him in Rollerball . I had to pretend I was older than I was due to the film being a double A. He was great in Misery too.

The Gaumont. A proper cinema. Saw The Empire Strikes Back there, and Superman the movie too. Loved it's round screen.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2022 at 21:44, Demitri_C said:

New thor is out tomorrow. I must admit this one does look abit shit 

Enjoyable, Bale as always brilliant, but it's a bit of a mess, the first hour especially is really bad in places. The second half, and third act especially save it from being a car crash.

Corridor Crew's stuff is always good but I found this particularly interesting. They have a guest, who is a veteran Hollywood CGI guy (I think he actually either runs or is very high up at a compositing company), who brings a cool insight to how things work in the studio churn.

Particularly interesting is their breakdown of the infamous Dino valley scene for the 2005 King Kong. The scene has become the poster boy for bad CGI, with varying criticisms of how crap it looks. What is interesting though is them pointing out that all the effects, particularly for the time, are brilliantly good - the dinosaur models, for instance, are excellent technically. The conclusion is basically the bad result is from a combination of errors - the scene is too complicated to realistically achieve, the actors were shot in a way that meant any shadows created by the CGI would always look shit, and the time spent putting the various elements together would be dwarfed by the time spent creating each element, meaning the effort put in to excellent dinosaur models or fantastic environments is wasted by a lack of time in putting the thing together and lack of thought in how the CGI is to be used in the sequence.

Also cool to see some insight on how the Volume is used (the virtual set thing ILM made which is essentially a game engine running on massive LED screens providing extremely detailed and flexible backdrops). This has become the latest toy filmmakers have started to use as much as possible and it's interesting to see someone discuss some of the drawbacks of it.

0b558454de13eeae2a0c8bf74d1f887d1c7a6c34

Summertime (David Lean) - Nice film with some great technicolor footage of Venice, all the shots of buildings, monuments and so on made it amost feel like a documentary,

• Like 1

I found a cracking little movie called Terror On The Prairie. It's a western that's obviously been made on a shoe - string budget but nonetheless, it's well directed with some great scenes.

There's a great performance by Nick Searcy who some of you might remember as Art from Justified. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Saw "Elvis" on the weekend. I really really enjoyed it. Probably helped that I knew almost nothing about him beyond the bare minimum. I assume a lot of the film is exaggerated but it made it very interesting for me.

• Like 2

Yikes! That new Jurassic Park movie was a mess. Of all the things they could have done with the concept dinosaurs let loose in the modern world this is what they came up with?

Disregarding how the dinosaurs spread all over the world and all other moronic plot ideas that scene on the ice was almost as ridiculous as the one with Thorin and Azog in the last Hobbit movie.

Speaking only for myself I could have done without them bringing back all the old characters (including Blue) and having them run around doing f all and instead having a more dinosaurs disaster movie story.

4/10 should have let them die on Isla whatever it was.

I’m watching “Gone with the Wind”. Never seen it before so decided to give it a go. The 4 hour run time is ridiculous so I’ve split it in two at the intermission. 

I knew it was controversial, but bloody hell. It’s very problematic isn’t it? 😂

On 22/06/2022 at 19:36, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching this:

spacer.png

Very good stuff.

Has some visual nods to Derricksons other work (especially Sinister) and a tight storyline which delivers some decent psychological thrills and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Cast is also very good, with a great performance from the young lead.

Can only agree, was very good.

• Like 1

Just watched Ford vs Ferrari (Le Mans ‘66) and if you haven’t seen it I won’t mention any detail, but Ken Miles (who was from Sutton) played by Christian Bale, his son has a Villa shirt on in one scene! You love to see it!! 

Edited by alreadyexists

On 16/07/2022 at 14:12, Stevo985 said:

I’m watching “Gone with the Wind”. Never seen it before so decided to give it a go. The 4 hour run time is ridiculous so I’ve split it in two at the intermission. 

I knew it was controversial, but bloody hell. It’s very problematic isn’t it? 😂

Finished it yesterday.

If you ignore the awful stereotypes and the racism/white supremacy laced through the movie, it's actually quite good. I can see why at the time it was seen as a revolution in film. 

In 2022 it's quite hard to ignore the racism though. 

Oh also, I thought Scarlett O'Hara was some sort of amazing heroine. She's an absolute word removed

spacer.png

Enjoyed this.

Nice taut storyline, with some dark humour and intense scenes.

Great performances from Lulu Wilson who is surely on the way to becoming a Scream Queen even at the age of 16 (she loves a horror role), and as for Kevin James - I've never seen him in anything other than 'comedies' so I thought he was surprisingly good as the unhinged and menacing antagonist.

:thumb:

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Some of these korean films are bloody brilliant. Just watched one called i saw the devil. Would recommend this highly 

Happy to drop you a list of Korean recommendations when I have some time Dem - I've done them for other VTers in the past.

• Thanks 1

Â