The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched the original Top Gun for the 1st time ever over the weekend because I keep hearing good things about the new one and it was alright 

Watching it tonight with my lad and then taking him to see the new one tomorrow afternoon as a break from his GCSE revision.

Heard the new one is great but utter bobbins at the same time. I’m looking forward to it 😅

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Heard the new one is great but utter bobbins at the same time. I’m looking forward to it 😅

I lasted 45 minutes before I bailed in the cinema 😄

Gave it a go as the reviews were good and I had my cinema pass - but yeah, just not my thing (never liked the original so I should've known tbh).

• Like 2

Last week watched one of those quaint british  / irish village comedy films 'Waking Ned Devine'. My brother insisted we had watched it before, I had no memory of it all, but it's a lovely little film with some very funny moments in it. Echoes of Local Hero and films like that to it. 

• Like 3

Yeah Top Gun Maverick is a big nostalgia bomb and cheesy, but some of the scenes, particularly in the final third of the film are seriously amazing

Both Ambulance and Sonic 2 hit streaming services in the US, I enjoyed Sonic 2 (kids are watching it again today) more than Ambulance. The new Chip and Dale was better than either of them.

Jurassic Park was on Sky Showcase last night so ended up watching it

It's still a superb movie, and the effects really haven't aged badly at all.

It's a shame they tainted it with all the guff that's come since

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 10:36, Bizzzle said:

Watched Jackass 4.5 last night and probably enjoyed it just as much as Jackass Forever. It is nice to see some behind the scenes stuff and the stuff that was cut from the main film. Some of the stuff that was cut from the main film was actually better than some of the stuff in the main film

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and subsequently went back and watched all the others. It's amazing how dated the first one already feels. And the bits they did were rubbish compared to the more recent stuff. I remember watching the first one when it came out and roaring with laughter. It all seems so tame now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You watched the movies that made us episode on it on Netflix? 

Worth 30 mins of your time 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You watched the movies that made us episode on it on Netflix? 

Worth 30 mins of your time 

I haven't actually. Started that series but didn't really like it. but I might make an exception for that episode

22 minutes ago, choffer said:

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and subsequently went back and watched all the others. It's amazing how dated the first one already feels. And the bits they did were rubbish compared to the more recent stuff. I remember watching the first one when it came out and roaring with laughter. It all seems so tame now. 

Yeh I get what you mean about it being more tame now but I suppose they are old or at least the original cast are old now

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't actually. Started that series but didn't really like it. but I might make an exception for that episode

JP is interesting for what they didn't do, could have been a very different movie

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that was on the DVD out takes, i meant more the original way of creating the dinos rather than use ILM and CGI

See the source image

I saw it when I was 8 with my cousin who would have been 9.

When we came out of the cinema I remember him being amazed that they'd created all of those dinosaurs from their DNA just to film the movie :D 

Top Gun Maverick was exactly as goofy as expected. Totally ridiculous with the first 3rd almost a direct lift from the first film.

The flight scenes were great though.

Saying that, I really liked it, dumb but entertaining. Sometimes I enjoy a film where you can disengage the brain and just let it wash over you! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Great movie. First film I watched twice at the cinema (Showcase Erdington - long gone now)

The CGI still stands up today. 

Just watched Silverado on Netflix. Can't remember Ive ever seen it. Never been a huge fan of Westerns but I thought it was good.

And what a cast. Scott Glenn, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Kevin Costner and Brian Dennehy.

Just now, NoelVilla said:

Just watched Silverado on Netflix. Can't remember Ive ever seen it. Never been a huge fan of Westerns but I thought it was good.

And what a cast. Scott Glenn, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Kevin Costner and Brian Dennehy.

Good ‘modern’ western but no Tombstone (imo) 

• Like 1

Â