The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats kind of how i see it. I also think smiths having a breakdown and this just pushed him over the edge. You can see that when the joke is delivered JP is deeply annoyed and didnt find it funny. She clearly has insecurities about it.

Gail porter has openly spoken about how upsetting it is for her having alopecia and the struggles it caused her. It was very insensitive by rock and i dobt blame will smith for wanting to lamp him. It easy for us ti judge but would we be happy if our partners were humiliated like that?

I’m sure most of us would have some sort of inner protective trigger going off but you don’t get to laugh at your wife’s expense and then go slap the guy for making that joke because she’s upset about it. We can call the joke insensitive all we want but it will never justify what Will Smith did.

• Like 1

Finally got round to watching Belfast, really enjoyed it

It is an award season baiter imo it's slow, not a fat lot actually happens, it's beautifully shot and superbly acted, even though not much is happening its still so watchable and enjoyable, maybe unintentionally funny in places, very sweet in others and then with the gloom hanging in the background, it's really well put together 

Not sure how hinds was got award nods but the boy wasn't, he's the star of the film 

On 28/03/2022 at 11:19, Stevo985 said:

Exactly.

I use it as a list of films that I may not have seen yet so add them to my list. Most of the time they're good. They're nominated for a reason.

I don't really care who wins, but have a passing interest and an opinion.

Yep.  Only problem for me is that the big winner of the night, coda, is only available on Apple, which I don't have. 

But I'll be watching 'the eyes of tammy faye' ASAP. 

13 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yep.  Only problem for me is that the big winner of the night, coda, is only available on Apple, which I don't have. 

But I'll be watching 'the eyes of tammy faye' ASAP. 

The good thing being stuff on streaming services almost guarantees a perfect copy will be out there on the high seas

Everything else in award season usually has a decent copy but the amount of times I've seen the "for your consideration" pop up 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The good thing being stuff on streaming services almost guarantees a perfect copy will be out there on the high seas

Everything else in award season usually has a decent copy but the amount of times I've seen the "for your consideration" pop up 😂

Yep, seen a fair few screeners myself over the years.

vlcsnap-2010-01-16-04h24m36s57.png

Ne Touchez Pas la Hache (Rivette) - I liked the sound design in this, Lots of wooden floors creaking, shoes squeaking, heavy footsteps, noisy doors, and so on, looks good too.

Roland Emmerich's Moonfall was as expected god awful. 

This one was about the level of Independence Day 2. So about a 4/10 and that's being generous thanks to Halle Berry being in it.

1 hour ago, useless said:

vlcsnap-2010-01-16-04h24m36s57.png

Ne Touchez Pas la Hache (Rivette) - I liked the sound design in this, Lots of wooden floors creaking, shoes squeaking, heavy footsteps, noisy doors, and so on, looks good too.

One Of The Greatest Films Ever GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yeah it's excellent. 

The cast, both amateur and professional are excellent.

Jean Martin has incredible screen presence, excellent in the day of the jackal too, will be looking into his other works 

Screenshot_20220330-113204_IMDb.jpg

Watched this last night for the first time in a long time, yes it does infringe on the copyright of a certain other movie but still a great film in its own right

The Devil's Brigade (1968) - IMDb

Just read an online article that names it's 50 Best Cult Classic Movies Released This Century (so no Boondock saints).

I've acquired a few that look interesting, might be one for @Designer1to comment on?

They are:

Malignant (2021)

Blue Ruin (2013)

Only God Forgives (2013)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

Coherence (2013)

The vast Of Night (2019)

2 hours ago, chappy said:

The Phantom of The Open. Decent film about funny source material, laughed and cried. 

Saw this on the weekend.

Fun film, well worth a watch. Falls short of being great but a nice feel good movie

29 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just read an online article that names it's 50 Best Cult Classic Movies Released This Century (so no Boondock saints).

I've acquired a few that look interesting, might be one for @Designer1to comment on?

They are:

Malignant (2021)

Blue Ruin (2013)

Only God Forgives (2013)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

Coherence (2013)

The vast Of Night (2019)

Malignant is **** bat shit mental. But enjoyable

Blue Ruin is absolutely excellent. Possibly the best on your list

Only God Forgives is a very arty, convoluted but great looking movie. Definitely has potential to be absolutely hated, but if you "get it" you'll love it

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is just a great movie

My 2 cents on the ones I've seen :thumb:

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

They are:

Malignant (2021) - Marmite horror I personally loved it but I can imagine the second half may find many people perplexed

Blue Ruin (2013) - Brilliant slow burn gritty revenge thriller

Only God Forgives (2013) - Enjoyable but very much style over substance and glacial pace

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - Shane Blacks best work for me, great movie

Coherence (2013) - Low budget oddball scif-fi, decent stuff

The vast Of Night (2019) - Wasn't a fan. Decent concept but how the dialogue was executed made me want to scream

There you go Roberto - in a nutshell reviews 🙂

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

Â