The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

No I get that, and as I said not condoning it, but I don't think that Chris Rock was an entirely innocent party here. It's a shite joke aimed at the wrong person at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I don't condone Smith's actions, but when he sees his wife's distress at it, I can understand them.

He laughed, and she rolled her eyes. It’s hardly “distress”.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

No I get that, and as I said not condoning it, but I don't think that Chris Rock was an entirely innocent party here. It's a shite joke aimed at the wrong person at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I don't condone Smith's actions, but when he sees his wife's distress at it, I can understand them.

Thats kind of how i see it. I also think smiths having a breakdown and this just pushed him over the edge. You can see that when the joke is delivered JP is deeply annoyed and didnt find it funny. She clearly has insecurities about it.

Gail porter has openly spoken about how upsetting it is for her having alopecia and the struggles it caused her. It was very insensitive by rock and i dobt blame will smith for wanting to lamp him. It easy for us ti judge but would we be happy if our partners were humiliated like that?

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

A heroic twunt? 

Maybe. 

After reading other comments he could, and should, have taken it "outside" later. 

Anyone not a celeb would have been jumped on. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats kind of how i see it. I also think smiths having a breakdown and this just pushed him over the edge. You can see that when the joke is delivered JP is deeply annoyed and didnt find it funny. She clearly has insecurities about it.

Gail porter has openly spoken about how upsetting it is for her having alopecia and the struggles it caused her. It was very insensitive by rock and i dobt blame will smith for wanting to lamp him. It easy for us ti judge but would we be happy if our partners were humiliated like that?

Yeah I saw that documentary. She f**King owns it now but for ages she was a mess.

Smith could have been way cooler about it, just walk up, say "Alopecia ain't funny" or something, and walk off - if he feels like he's got to do anything at all, his wife could have done something also. 

Getting physical doesn't help him in any way, shape or form. 

He's got to be cooler. 

I didn't even know his wife, let alone that she has alopecia - I'm going to assume it's fairly "out there" that she has, which makes it a poor joke.. But no one should get smacked for telling a joke. 

Looking forward to Gervais's jokes about it next year :lol:  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Maybe. 

After reading other comments he could, and should, have taken it "outside" later. 

Anyone not a celeb would have been jumped on. 

Almost certainly, but this isn't really "real life" it's a bunch of multi-millionaires on TV tugging each other off and talking about how brilliantly they all did this year, and part of the schtick is the host roasting the attendees - it's played out at every one of these ceremonies every year, and Smith has no problem with it until it's targeted at his wife.

His wife just rolled her eyes, she didn't look particularly offended, and I think it's worth noting she and Rock have worked together a few times, so I doubt he'd have made the joke unless he knew she wouldn't take it that badly.

Will Smith just needed to exorcise those cuck demons on stage and show he's a big man. 

• Like 3

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Smith could have been way cooler about it, just walk up, say "Alopecia ain't funny" or something, and walk off - if he feels like he's got to do anything at all, his wife could have done something also. 

Getting physical doesn't help him in any way, shape or form. 

He's got to be cooler. 

I didn't even know his wife, let alone that she has alopecia - I'm going to assume it's fairly "out there" that she has, which makes it a poor joke.. But no one should get smacked for telling a joke. 

Looking forward to Gervais's jokes about it next year :lol:  

Fair point, he could have made Rock look like a massive douche just by going up and making a point about it. But then I suppose loads of folks would slaughter Smith over cancel culture or some such. Can't win I suppose. Maybe it would have been better to muller him in the car-park afterward.

25 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I thought the joke was that G.I. Jane was getting a sequel.

Someone would definitely deserve a **** slap if that was happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Someone would definitely deserve a **** slap if that was happening.

Private Benjamin is the go to American woman in the army film 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i was suprised there waa no security there to be honest. Abit concerning 

I'm sure there's plenty around the perimeter, but once you've only got approved attendees in the building, you expect them to act like professionals.

Oscars are ****, used to quite like it pre social media. Bring me back the stars from an age gone by and I'll start tuning in again, Cary Grant, Johnny Carson and co would be rolling in their graves watching the **** show that has become the academy awards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Oscars are ****, used to quite like it pre social media. Bring me back the stars from an age gone by and I'll start tuning in again, Cary Grant, Johnny Carson and co would be rolling in their graves watching the **** show that has become the academy awards.

ok boomer

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Why would you ever watch it? X won this, X thanks the world, rinse and repeat.

I check the list of nominees and winners, usually has films I didn't know about so I might check them out.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I dunno, I never watch the ceremony anyway, for me it's more like a scout report, here's the films that I should be watching this year and yeah of course the majority of them will be arty farty rather than blockbusters but more often than not they're ok

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, I never watch the ceremony anyway, for me it's more like a scout report, here's the films that I should be watching this year and yeah of course the majority of them will be arty farty rather than blockbusters but more often than not they're ok

Exactly.

I use it as a list of films that I may not have seen yet so add them to my list. Most of the time they're good. They're nominated for a reason.

I don't really care who wins, but have a passing interest and an opinion.

• Like 1

Â