The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Someone needs to tell mark that  chris rock needs to press charges for a arrest to be taken further

He doesn’t. If the police see me hit someone in the street they don’t need the victims permission to arrest me.

Someone from the venue should have told Smith to leave.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Not condoning it but it was a cheap shot by Chris Rock. A joke about appearance due to an illness. Oscars hosts have form but where I'm from, if I said something like that I'm expecting to receive a knuckle sandwich.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

If a woman makes a joke about me losing my hair, is it okay for my wife to hit them? 

I mean that a really good point.  People make jokes about men losing their hair all the time, and no-one gets violent about that.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I mean that a really good point.  People make jokes about men losing their hair all the time, and no-one gets violent about that.

Is it though? About a third of men lose their hair. Myself included. It's not like it is unusual or that you stand out particularly. Ask your wife if it is equivalent.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Is it though? About a third of men lose their hair. Myself included. It's not like it is unusual or that you stand out particularly. Ask your wife if it is equivalent.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that it was a joke at her expense, 99% of jokes are at someone’s expense. It’s how they work.

The reaction was completely disproportionate and out of order. 

I’m sure at some point soon we’ll be seeing some old Will Smith jokes 100x more offensive than that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

He doesn’t. If the police see me hit someone in the street they don’t need the victims permission to arrest me.

Someone from the venue should have told Smith to leave.

Chris rock is not pressing charges so its just a waste of police time 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Chris rock is not pressing charges so its just a waste of police time 

He doesn’t need to press charges for police to him to arrest him or prosecute.

Maybe that’s a bit over the top, but it’s valid. The venue also does not need Chris Rocks permission to throw out a guest who assaulted the host on stage.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The venue also does not need Chris Rocks permission to throw out a guest who assaulted the host on stage.

Does he gets asked to leave if it wasn't for them being about to award him the Oscar?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think anyone would disagree that it was a joke at her expense, 99% of jokes are at someone’s expense. It’s how they work.

The reaction was completely disproportionate and out of order. 

I’m sure at some point soon we’ll be seeing some old Will Smith jokes 100x more offensive than that.

A joke about what someone chooses to do with themselves, or how they act. But jokes about what people look like after illness? Something that Frankie Boyle would do, which is fine, because if you go to a Frankie Boyle gig, you kind of know what to expect, and you can choose to not go, but Oscars is kind of necessary to support careers. Captive audience, cheap shot. 

Go to a pub in Birmingham and make that crack and it ain't ending well for you.

Yeah mate, there's a lot of jokes that get made at standup or at award ceremonies that you don't repeat in flat roof pubs, I'm not sure that's a sensible point.

I feel pretty bad for Chris Rock tbh, you can tell as Smith walks up he's like "ok, I guess we're doing a bit", then after he gets hit he's looking around, and realising that nobody is intervening or helping him, and they just expect him to keep the show going. 

It was slightly poor taste, but he didn't come up with this stuff off the cuff, it's written and rehearsed and approved. I suspect there might be a bit more of a security presence in future ceremonies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

He doesn’t need to press charges for police to him to arrest him or prosecute.

Maybe that’s a bit over the top, but it’s valid. The venue also does not need Chris Rocks permission to throw out a guest who assaulted the host on stage.

i thought someone had to actually press charges for you to be charged for assaulting someone? yes you'd be arrested but no further action would be taken if the victim didn't press charges

i think you can have victimless crimes but that's more for domestic abuse cases where the woman is too scared to press charges

agreed that he should have been kicked out

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i thought someone had to actually press charges for you to be charged for assaulting someone? yes you'd be arrested but no further action would be taken if the victim didn't press charges

Nah it's not at all required, here or in the US, it's common for things to just be dropped if the victim isn't pushing for it though, because getting away with doing less work is something the police like almost as much as intimidation and abuse of power. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i thought someone had to actually press charges for you to be charged for assaulting someone? yes you'd be arrested but no further action would be taken if the victim didn't press charges.

All Law.com

Who Decides to Press Charges?

Let's start from the beginning on who makes charging decisions and why. Say a suspect is accused of assaulting someone outside a bar. The police show up and arrest the suspect. What happens from there? Does the victim go down to the police station to file a complaint and press charges? Not exactly—despite what you see on TV.

Prosecutors Press Criminal Charges; Not Victims

Victims play an important role in the charging process, often providing key evidence and testimony. In the above situation, the victim would likely give a statement to police regarding what (allegedly) happened. But it will be up to a government prosecutor, not the victim, to decide whether to file criminal charges against the suspect. Several reasons exist for this system of decision making.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah mate, there's a lot of jokes that get made at standup or at award ceremonies that you don't repeat in flat roof pubs, I'm not sure that's a sensible point.

I feel pretty bad for Chris Rock tbh, you can tell as Smith walks up he's like "ok, I guess we're doing a bit", then after he gets hit he's looking around, and realising that nobody is intervening or helping him, and they just expect him to keep the show going. 

It was slightly poor taste, but he didn't come up with this stuff off the cuff, it's written and rehearsed and approved. I suspect there might be a bit more of a security presence in future ceremonies.

No I get that, and as I said not condoning it, but I don't think that Chris Rock was an entirely innocent party here. It's a shite joke aimed at the wrong person at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I don't condone Smith's actions, but when he sees his wife's distress at it, I can understand them.

• Like 2

Â