The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I was thinking this week that Bruce Willis must have retired as I don't see him in anything of note over the past few films. Turns out he puts out 7 or 8 films a year. They don't seem to do anything. Did he fall from grace?

He appears to hate the industry and as a result has basically tanked his career. He's supposedly a nightmare to work with and that combined with fading box office pull has seen him go to the Cage model of just doing anything that will pay him (although unlike Cage he can't be bothered to do much in these films so in most of them he appears for a scene or 2, gets his face on the poster and buggers off).

Red Letter Media did a video on it recently with them 'reviewing' a slew of the crap he's been in in the last 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Cage did an interview in the week saying he had to do a load of films because he got himself in to a ton of debt, I assumed it was IRS related but no he said he lost all his money in bad real estate deals

He was in trouble with the IRS. He bought loads of property (as well as other extravagant things - he bought a burial plot in New Orleans that was absurdly expensive, for instance) and was... lax... in his tax affairs, which in turn lead to a series of dominos falling with other debts, legal cases etc, together with a few flops, which meant he was basically doing any job that would pay him for a decade.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Red Letter Media did a video on it recently with them 'reviewing' a slew of the crap he's been in in the last 5 years.

I'm watching it now.  The film where he just stands by a tree is hilarious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I was thinking this week that Bruce Willis must have retired as I don't see him in anything of note over the past few films. Turns out he puts out 7 or 8 films a year. They don't seem to do anything. Did he fall from grace?

He has his own category at the Razzies now: Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie. The winner was Bruce Willis in Cosmic Sin apparently.

Le Bron James was the big winner at the award for his "performance" in Space Jam 2.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Willis wouldn't even put in a 10 second cameo on Brooklyn 99 despite 8 seasons of Die Hard references. 

That’s terribly sad - thought he’d jump at the chance. 

At least they got Reginald VelJohnson to appear 😁

• Thanks 1

Just had a look at the titles of some of the Bruce Willis films over the past ten years.

First Kill, Acts of Violence, Reprisal, Survive the Night, Hard Kill, Out of Death, Deadlock, American Siege, A Day to Die, Death Wish.

I sense a theme.

Had to go back to 2012 when he was in both Looper and Moonrise Kingdom where you sense he was genuinely interested in what film he was working on. Looper is an interesting premise and Moonrise Kingdom is obviously not the type of film Willis is known for.

Maybe you could argue he was interested in the project with both Split and Glass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

That’s terribly sad - thought he’d jump at the chance. 

At least they got Reginald VelJohnson to appear 😁

He was asked and apparently his people said "It's not the sort of thing he'd do"  which is mind blowing.

• Thanks 1

LAFLOR.jpg?w=780

La Flor - '" six disparate episodes, each starring the same four remarkable actresses: Elisa Carricajo, Valeria Correa, Pilar Gamboa, and Laura Paredes. Overflowing with nested subplots and whiplash digressions, La Flor shape-shifts from a B-movie to a musical to a spy thriller to a category-defying metafiction—all of them without endings—to a remake of a very well-known French classic and, finally, to an enigmatic period piece that lacks a beginning"

Some parts really good other parts not so much so, but overall I enjoyed it and was an interesting watch.

Edited by useless

Will Smith slapped Chris Rock in the face at the Oscars for making a bad joke about his wife's alopecia. This does not look at all staged.

"Keep my wife's name out your **** mouth"

• Like 1

Tasteless joke because his wife has alopecia...but the response was clearly over the top...that was assault. Really bad vibes. This is like the Altamont festival closing out the 1960s. The Oscar's are officially over. 

50 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Tasteless joke because his wife has alopecia...but the response was clearly over the top...that was assault. Really bad vibes. This is like the Altamont festival closing out the 1960s. The Oscar's are officially over. 

It was a terrible joke, but I think the response was justified. He was defending his wife who has had an auto immune disease that is not a subject for fun. Yes he was laughing at the joke initially, because Chris Rock is a comedian and you laugh at what he says regardless of if it's funny because you're on TV. But to sit there while his wife is being disrespected because of her illness in front of millions of people, I think it was an appropriate response, because she was not in on the joke. Not the only possible response, and maybe not the best possible response, but I thought it was commensurate. A bitch slap for Chris Rock for making fun of his wife's illness. Sounds about right 

It was good to see a man lose his cool on TV. A man that isn't Bill O'Reilly or that melty mature cheddar headed man who was on GMTV. 

• Confused 1

I didn't know he was still with her after the whole affair thing 

Throw this is as well and I'll suggest all isn't right with him, his speech is more concerning than the punch 

He's had boxing training too as part of Ali so how easy rock took that punch looks weird but the swearing afterwards obviously isn't fake 

Edited by villa4europe

Â