The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 08/11/2019 at 19:09, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Because I’m the type of person who can browse Netflix for about half hour for something to watch, before then giving up because of no longer being arsed, I’m going to start playing a game with this thread...that is to pick a random page number and chose one of the films mentioned within that page. 

And tough **** if it’s a bad film, serves me right for being an indecisive word removed. 

This is a great idea! 

I think you should post updates on what you watch and the page number/post you got the rec from 👍

Just watched The Aeronauts, Redmayne and Felicity Jones are both very good. Perfectly watchable, nothing special and given it's a PG you can guess how it all turns out,  but it's well made and the performances are convincing. Watched it in 4DX and I know it's a shit gimmick but it did add to the spectacle a bit, heresy I know.

Joker as expected is fantastic.

Phoenix puts in a hell of a performance almost carrying on his character from a film a few years prior, You were never really here.

It stays with you once the films ends and you can tell he put a lot into it, has to get an awards nod. He's basically on screen for the entire movie.

I also have to credit Todd Phillips for making such a tight film, the atmosphere is great and the 2 hour films never drags. Its claustrophobic at times getting in really tight to Phoenix and not relenting at all in his descent into madness. He's not afraid to have scenes with minimal dialogue just letting the images and sometimes music do the talking, based on what I had seen from his back catalogue (mostly throw away comedies) this is a very accomplished film, credit to whoever saw that in him. 

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

Angel Has Fallen :crylaugh:

I knew full well what I was getting into but mein gott in himmel what a terrible film.

The most predictable, poorly written, cliché ridden piece of garbage I've seen in ages.

• Haha 1

Midway tonight 

come back Pearl Harbour , all is forgiven 

Ok maybe it’s not THAT bad but it was a bit long ,  full of corny dialogue and  inevitable war film cliches ... tbf  the battle scenes were quite decent but a bit heavy on tracer fire 

might just about survive the Sunday afternoon hangover itv2 movie test where you watch it for the umpteenth time even though you don’t know why instead of hunting down the remote to switch over 

Saw Ford v Ferrari last night

Both myself and the Mrs thought it was excellent. Can't say I knew a lot about Ken Miles going into it, other than he was from Birmingham, so couldn't say how close to reality the story is. I'm sure some creative license was used in parts. Nice as well to see a few villa nods in the film as well

Only downside is that it's quite long at 2 1/2 hours

Has anyone watched The Irishman yet?

Is it on UK Netflix? I only ask as I Googled it and got some local cinema listings.

Considering the runtime (and being a miserable bastard I hate cinemas) it seems like the sort of thing that people would much prefer to watch in their living room.

20 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Has anyone watched The Irishman yet?

Is it on UK Netflix? I only ask as I Googled it and got some local cinema listings.

Considering the runtime (and being a miserable bastard I hate cinemas) it seems like the sort of thing that people would much prefer to watch in their living room.

It's got a limited cinema release ahead of going to Netflix iirc.

• Thanks 1

On 02/11/2019 at 21:51, theboyangel said:

I’ve just watched Mother! The Aronofsky film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

A couple who live in a house in the middle of nowhere begin to get many visitors out of the blue and events begin to escalate and spiral out of control.

what a strange movie that is quite a task to watch. I liked it but it passes over the ‘too clever for its own good’ threshold. 

Hide contents

Essentially it’s all about Mother Earth and God creating earth and then seeing it crumble after the introduction of man etc.

it is a bit up it’s own arse! 

I do like Aronofsky a lot of the time. I watched Mother at the cinema and came out having no idea wtf it was about. When I read up on it afterwards it made more sense, and I kinda liked it more. But I agree, it tries to be a bit too clever for its own good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I do like Aronofsky a lot of the time. I watched Mother at the cinema and came out having no idea wtf it was about. When I read up on it afterwards it made more sense, and I kinda liked it more. But I agree, it tries to be a bit too clever for its own good. 

I was quite pleased with myself after watching that at the cinema. When Ed Harris turns up and...

Spoiler

...the scene with his rib happened. I turned to my mate and said 'I wonder if it ties into the bible?' which of course it does, with the whole thing being a biblical allegory.

I enjoyed it, although I can definitely see why some didn't.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2019 at 16:58, Dr_Pangloss said:

Terminator Dark Fate is just absolutely horrible. I love the first two movies, I knew this wouldn't be great based on the trailers but had hope it wouldn't be this bad given the returning cast but pretty much wanted to walk out after the John Connor scene. On top of that the new characters were just simply not interesting.

It's nowhere near as good as 1& 2 but it's miles above all the crap that came in between those and this. The first hour is something we've already seen a million times but it's  actually pretty fun when Carl  rocks up . 

(John Connor scene pissed me right off as well  I have to say.)

Just watched IT Chapter 2. What a load of cobblers haha. I really liked the first film as the characters were all likeable, and there was a lot of mystery around Pennywise as a character. But for whatever reason all of that was lost in the second. I don't know if was just that the writing was bad, or the cast was wrong, but every character in the second chapter was just annoying. None of them were likeable, and I found none of them interesting which is quite a contrast from the first.

Plus, the way it ends is just hilariously bad. I've never read the book so maybe it's very close to that, but it didn't work very well as a film. 

4/10

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Edit - not sure why my phone makes it so hard to delete quotes by accident...

anyway - they've changed ford vs Ferrari to le man 66 for European audiences, they don't outright admit it but im guessing marketing tests showed Europeans turning their noses up at the idea of the yanks trumpet blowing

its getting good reviews, not sure why it got pushed back either, talk of Oscar baiting

Edited by villa4europe

Â