The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 29/10/2019 at 12:16, sne said:

Finally got around to watch Jennifer Kent's revenge drama The Nightingale.

Was not bad at all but not as good as I'd hoped. 

There's tons of gory violence and the bad guys are shockingly bad, like no redeeming qualities at all. None.

Everything and everyone is miserable, but I guess that's not far from how it was back in those days in the colonies. It's bloody grim.

It's quite long and drawn out, not necessarily a bad thing although I did start to fiddle with my laptop towards the end.

Take a bit of The Revenant, True Grit, Soldier Blue, I spit on your Grave and a bunch of revenge movies and you have The Nightingale.

I don't love the aspect ratio in which it is shot but what do I know...

The Nightingale Poster Solid 7/10

How much of the film is in Gaelic? The version I have has no subtitles so I want to know if I should bother or not 

2 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

How much of the film is in Gaelic? The version I have has no subtitles so I want to know if I should bother or not 

Almost nothing, a few phrases maybe.

• Thanks 1

I watched The Sacrifice, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did but I think it might be my second favorite Tarkovsky film after Mirror, although I haven't seen Solaris or Andrei Rublev yet.

Edited by useless

I’ve just watched Mother! The Aronofsky film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

A couple who live in a house in the middle of nowhere begin to get many visitors out of the blue and events begin to escalate and spiral out of control.

what a strange movie that is quite a task to watch. I liked it but it passes over the ‘too clever for its own good’ threshold. 

Spoiler

Essentially it’s all about Mother Earth and God creating earth and then seeing it crumble after the introduction of man etc.

it is a bit up it’s own arse! 

On 13/10/2019 at 19:25, Demitri_C said:

Only thing I would perhaps argue is that it's showing how he became the joker. He wasn't actually the joker we know when the film ended. He was clearly insane by the end to the movie which would lead to the serial and fiend joker we know

I understand what @Chindie is saying, and agree.

Fleck inspires/d a movement. A figurehead from the murders he commits. As opposed to the cruel, insane mob boss that the Joker is.

I personally gave it 7.5/10. As a movie, it's brilliant, but there are holes all over the place.

On 19/10/2019 at 12:54, wilko154 said:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle last night.

Not my cup of tea, didn't find it that funny and was just stupid in parts. Will be giving the 3rd film a swerve.

The first one was brilliant.

The second suffers from that.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2019 at 12:16, sne said:

Finally got around to watch Jennifer Kent's revenge drama The Nightingale.

Was not bad at all but not as good as I'd hoped. 

There's tons of gory violence and the bad guys are shockingly bad, like no redeeming qualities at all. None.

Everything and everyone is miserable, but I guess that's not far from how it was back in those days in the colonies. It's bloody grim.

It's quite long and drawn out, not necessarily a bad thing although I did start to fiddle with my laptop towards the end.

Take a bit of The Revenant, True Grit, Soldier Blue, I spit on your Grave and a bunch of revenge movies and you have The Nightingale.

I don't love the aspect ratio in which it is shot but what do I know...

The Nightingale Poster Solid 7/10

Watched the other day and agree with your review 7/10

• Like 1

On 19/10/2019 at 11:54, wilko154 said:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle last night.

Not my cup of tea, didn't find it that funny and was just stupid in parts. Will be giving the 3rd film a swerve.

They're making a *third* one? It wasn't even a good idea the first time round.

18 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I understand what @Chindie is saying, and agree.

Fleck inspires/d a movement. A figurehead from the murders he commits. As opposed to the cruel, insane mob boss that the Joker is.

I personally gave it 7.5/10. As a movie, it's brilliant, but there are holes all over the place.

Yeah I get that but my argument is they are trying to tell a story of how the joker was a normal human being that was a decent person once upon a time then what happened to make him become the psychopath known as the joker.

I thought it was very well done and showed how it could happen in society today to anyone.

After re-watching The Ring (US Version) on Halloween night I thought I would watch The Ring 2 last night. However I clicked on the wrong link and wound up accidentally watching a 2017 instalment called "Rings" instead starring the fella from Big Bang Theory with the big face. It was....not good

Just back from Dr Sleep , a strange choice as I’ve never seen The Shining , but timings didn’t work for Zombieland so Dr S it was.

on reflection I think it might be my film of the year ,  for a long film it never lagged it was just one of those films that drew you into it . I’ve seen a lot of films with a lot of murders and emotionally felt detached from it  , one scene in this film with a young lad was the first time I think I’ve ever felt uncomfortable watching something on a screen .

Ferguson although I felt sure her accent kept changing was quite mesmerising even  if she was evil and what the heck McGregor is finally forgiven for those Star Wars films for this .

guess my next mission is to finally watch The Shining now 

Terminator Dark Fate is just absolutely horrible. I love the first two movies, I knew this wouldn't be great based on the trailers but had hope it wouldn't be this bad given the returning cast but pretty much wanted to walk out after the John Connor scene. On top of that the new characters were just simply not interesting.

15 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Terminator Dark Fate is just absolutely horrible. I love the first two movies, I knew this wouldn't be great based on the trailers but had hope it wouldn't be this bad given the returning cast but pretty much wanted to walk out after the John Connor scene. On top of that the new characters were just simply not interesting.

its got decent enough reviews, I think the highest since T2, but its looking like it will lose around $100m

if that doesn't put the nail in the coffin im not sure what will

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if that doesn't put the nail in the coffin im not sure what will

When/if they ever make the rumoured Terminator Extinction (Arnie with Dinosaurs)

image.jpeg.dece9ddd8712cd6faaee99a62e84ad88.jpegimage.jpeg.de02d8d39eceea0ab1d71b9ad3680983.jpegimage.jpeg.48dd294664c9a299623b1f09fc788563.jpeg

These are just fan creations but it gives you a taste  image.jpeg.c91f7f2758be6ece83bbdab374b30c8c.jpegimage.jpeg.35542a738f3a4766db8baa68f8a964f4.jpeg

But actually I would love to see that.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 17:58, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agree with that

Would add it lacks logic with all these new ideas, the terminator for example can do all these cool things like create a gun, the spikes blah blah but then when he's got her straight in front of him he doesn't use what he can do

They can do something really cool in this universe but they keep trying too hard and **** it up, almost like after the evolution between 1 and 2 then need to evolve it further and further but at the same time the evolution of the human characters is none existent 

Â