The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Four films in the past week or so....

Joker - amazing 

Ad Astra - slow, but I enjoyed it (ending was a bit pants) 

IT 2 - Pretty woeful and not a patch on the first part, which was decent imo 

El Camino - 2 good BB episodes made into a film. I enjoyed it and good to see one of them get a ‘happy’ ending. 

Trivia of the day. Matt Damon is now older than Robins Williams was when he acted with him in Good Will Hunting. 

Just an excuse to post this amazing scene

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 19:52, Xela said:

Meet Joe Black (1998)

I really like this film. Its not very well regarded but I love the calmness and serenity of it. Hopkins is his usual brilliant self, Forlani was stunning and Pitt was impossibly good looking and played the role of a bemused grim reaper excellently 8/10. WB

Cold Lamb sandwiches .  Mmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Watched Chinese sci-fi movie The Wandering Earth.

It's basically a mix between Aniara and 2012 and just like those movies it's not great.

It's not completely terrible thou if you apply copious amounts of suspension of disbelief, and it looks pretty good.

For a Sunday matinee flick it's not the worst ever.

5,5/10 

The Wandering Earth Poster

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The Laundromat had potential but was just a rip off of The Big Short. waste of a top cast

I quite liked it. It had a playful feel which was constantly on the edge of annoying, but there was just enough humour to save it.

I'd like to see a completely different take to complement it; I know it's what he always does, but Alex Gibney would be the best at telling it straight.

Ghost Rider 2.

I'm currently watching a film I never even knew existed until I just saw it flicking through the channels. It even has Cage and Elba in it so it's not even a straight to TV/DVD type thing with a no name cast.

Did this even come out at the cinema? I seriously never knew they made a sequel.

34 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Ghost Rider 2.

I'm currently watching a film I never even knew existed until I just saw it flicking through the channels. It even has Cage and Elba in it so it's not even a straight to TV/DVD type thing with a no name cast.

Did this even come out at the cinema? I seriously never knew they made a sequel.

It came out in cinemas. It's directed by the guys behind the Crank films and the big thing when it was coming out was how outrageous it was going to be with stunts and shit - a notable scene has Ghost Rider pissing fire.

It also has Nic Cage going to the top end of his 'range' at points.

Awful film.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It came out in cinemas. It's directed by the guys behind the Crank films and the big thing when it was coming out was how outrageous it was going to be with stunts and shit - a notable scene has Ghost Rider pissing fire.

It also has Nic Cage going to the top end of his 'range' at points.

Awful film.

Yeah it was atrocious. I was intrigued at first but I lasted 15 minutes then turned off. Woeful.

On 13/10/2019 at 10:33, PieFacE said:

So for anyone who's seen Joker..

Reveal hidden contents

Major spoilers here so only click if you're sure....

Reveal hidden contents

Do you think the whole film was a memory, or completely made up?

The fact that Bruce's parents were killed leads me to think it was a memory from the mind of Joker, but i'm not 100% sure to be honest.

Also, one thing that did slightly baffle me is the age difference between the young Bruce and Joker. Surely by the time Bruce has grown up, Joker would be about 60 😂

Spoiler

I think it is a memory. He’s thinking about how he first became the Joker. For me, everything that happened is actually when he is around 18, and he’s just recapping it as him in the present form (which would answer the age gap query). It may also go towards @Chindie concerns re him not being “Joker” enough. 

Really really enjoyable film for me, with Phoenix a masterclass 

On 21/10/2019 at 11:04, wilko154 said:

Watched 'Any Given Sunday' yesterday

Thought it was pretty poor if I'm being honest. Normally love a sports film.

220px-Any_Given_Sunday.jpg

WHAT?!?!?! I’m a tolerant guy wilko, but you’ve gone beyond the pale here ;) :P

Not only is it a more than decent film, Pacino’s speech in the dressing room is one of the best film scenes ever. 

I still go back and watch it on YouTube from time to time

• Like 1

I was trying to think of my favorite films from this decade and realized that I haven't watched that many, so have recently been watching a few from a list of the best films of 2010s that I found. Recent ones I watch were 'Girl Walk All Day', which is basically a girl dancing in public and a film crew filming it and people's reactions, I nearly turned it off after about ten minutes, but then started to quite like it. Also watched Cemetery of Splendour another film by Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

Edited by useless

On 21/10/2019 at 11:04, wilko154 said:

Watched 'Any Given Sunday' yesterday

Thought it was pretty poor if I'm being honest. Normally love a sports film.

220px-Any_Given_Sunday.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 1

Finally got around to watch Jennifer Kent's revenge drama The Nightingale.

Was not bad at all but not as good as I'd hoped. 

There's tons of gory violence and the bad guys are shockingly bad, like no redeeming qualities at all. None.

Everything and everyone is miserable, but I guess that's not far from how it was back in those days in the colonies. It's bloody grim.

It's quite long and drawn out, not necessarily a bad thing although I did start to fiddle with my laptop towards the end.

Take a bit of The Revenant, True Grit, Soldier Blue, I spit on your Grave and a bunch of revenge movies and you have The Nightingale.

I don't love the aspect ratio in which it is shot but what do I know...

The Nightingale Poster Solid 7/10

• Like 1

Joker was a good film but for me was a bit far from a masterpiece. Joaquin Phoenix performance on the other hand well that was awesome though its no different than some of his other performances, he just seems like an unhinged guy. Nice to see DeNiro back in a good film

Speaking of DeNiro I would say Joker is the closest thing you will ever get to a Taxi Driver remake

Â