The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

That Bond trailer is like a parody of the films in the Craig era (especially Skyfall and Spectre). The cinematography is beautiful but everything else is so pompous and tired looking. And Craig looks like he'd rather putting shards of glass into his eyes than be anywhere near it.

Watched the Irishman last night and thought it was brilliant. I think you need to set the time aside to watch it in one go rather than stop/start so you can really get into it. The 3 and half hours flew by for me as I found it so engrossing. De Niro, Pesci and Pacino are all excellent in it.

• Like 3

On 06/12/2019 at 15:00, Chindie said:

That Bond trailer is like a parody of the films in the Craig era (especially Skyfall and Spectre). The cinematography is beautiful but everything else is so pompous and tired looking. And Craig looks like he'd rather putting shards of glass into his eyes than be anywhere near it.

It's a terrible trailer. Bring on the next Bond, it definitely needs refreshing.

On 06/12/2019 at 15:39, Brumstopdogs said:

Watched The Irishman last weekend and thought it was a good film but not a classic.

Well worth taking the time to watch though.

I've almost finished it. I'll watch a second time too. It's a weird one. It's a bit of a slow mover, and it's often really quiet. It's good. I would've liked more Harvey Kietel. 

• Like 1

New Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer is out, looks different but really quite intriguing, like how they've linked to the original. Looking forward to it, hopefully eradicates any memory of the terrible reboot from a few years ago.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

New Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer is out, looks different but really quite intriguing, like how they've linked to the original. Looking forward to it, hopefully eradicates any memory of the terrible reboot from a few years ago.

OMG I was getting tingles watching that..

And agree hopefully washes away the memories of the reboot 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Image result for sunny boggs

ties nicely in with the ghostbusters element of this thread as some people speculated that the IASIP crowd remaking the wade boggs episode with females was in itself a commentary on how Holywood was going through a phase or remaking male-led movies with female casts (ghostbusters, ocenas 11 etc)

• Like 1

session on a plane the return

once upon a time in Hollywood - I'm embarrassed by how long it took me to pick up the central story arc, didn't get any of the references until the final chapter and actually sat there at one point thinking is this a bit shit because the characters don't tie in together, overall its enjoyable with some great performances, its not just long its bloated, looks awesome, would have to watch it again but I think I preferred the nice guys 

xmen dark phoenix - not the car crash I expected but as expected turner was a bit shit and the whole thing just felt a bit pointless, I liked the final third though, the villians really didn't hit

yesterday - thought it was ok, unfortunately it ruined its premise by going a bit by the numbers rom com, Tamwar did enough in the lead to make it watchable, lily james is always watchable

Started Baumbach's Marriage Story last night on Netflix. I've a suspicion it's very good but it stressed me out so much I had to stop for a bit. Will finish it tonight.

*edit. Finished it. It’s as traumatic as it is compelling. 

Edited by choffer

On 06/12/2019 at 19:16, sne said:

Ad Astra was a bit of a mess.

Nice visuals but the script is horrible. Not even the Austin Powers movies would think of having a car chase on the moon.

And there are only that many close ups of Brad Pitts face thinking hard a movie can hold.

Spent half the film thinking how much Pitt looked like Benicio Del Toro, Especially all the close ups with a helmet on

• Like 1

Â