The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 13/11/2019 at 12:34, Sam-AVFC said:

Has anyone watched The Irishman yet?

Is it on UK Netflix? I only ask as I Googled it and got some local cinema listings.

Considering the runtime (and being a miserable bastard I hate cinemas) it seems like the sort of thing that people would much prefer to watch in their living room.

It’s on Netflix from 27th November 👍

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Watched Booksmart last night after a few recommendations on here and enjoyed it.

Not a classic but certainly well worth taking the time to see IMO. Some funny moments!

Same here. Was expecting a bit more after what I had read on here but it was fine. 

Last night watched Secret Life of Pets 2 which was enjoyable also. I must be getting old.

• Like 1

Watched Anna yesterday on a flight. Essentially Jean Luc Besson's revisits a "La Femme Nikita" story.

Enjoyable romp, well paced and the lead is well fit (also plenty of bewbage.) Story is told jumping back and forth in time which keeps you guessing and Helen Mirren's character is very tongue in cheek.

One or two horrifying acting/dialogue scenes at random here and there which made it a bit weird. Although they may have been scenes which were presented one way and then retold another way later on in the film.

I hadn't heard of it before I got on the plane and apparently the studio dumped it without much press because Besson has been accused of sexual misconduct. Worth just to see Sasha Luss though.
Movie 7.5/10 WB.
Sasha 11/10 WB

175256.jpg

Watched Joker last night , Joaquin Phoenix acting was very convincing, to the point it felt a bit disturbing. Even the Mrs was glued to the screen , storyline was so so, the filming was dark and atmospheric. Joaquin was awesome 

• Like 4

I watched Last Christmas this week, the guardian wondered if it's the worst film ever made. I have appalling taste in films so know I enjoyed it so much I will be watching it again pretty soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched the Lion King remake last night.

What a strange film.

I love the original. It was the first film I saw at the cinema and it holds a special place in my heart, even if I've not seen it as often as many other films I love over the years.

The remake then is... strange. A shot for shot remake more or less, but with extremely good CGI going for a photo real take on the story, with some small tweaks in side characters, and a mostly new voice cast.

It doesn't work.

The realistic animals sit completely at odds with the dramatisation. Obviously, animals don't talk, and they don't have the ability to emote as subtly as a person, which leaves the film with a dilemma - where do draw the line between making a realistic looking lion, and a lion that can talk? They fudge it like they did with the Jungle Book, a half way house, but here because there's no human acting alongside it's somehow worse. You get left with something closer to actual wild life footage with a voiceover added to create a plot - at no point do you really feel like the very impressive looking fake lion in front of you is talking. It also makes it weirdly dull to watch, as they've sliced out all of the exaggerated mannerisms and so on you get from a cartoon character in favour of maintaining the realism, so the character is drained from it.

And speaking of talking... The new voice cast is shit. Chiwetel Ejiofor is an excellent actor but his Scar has Irons' dripping sarcasm and disdain. Instead he's a sullen bored villain with more of a sulk to him than the superiority and delight in evil that Irons' take had. John Oliver is dreadful. Glover and Beyonce, dreadful. James Earl Jones sounds bored. Only the hyenas and Timon and Pumba come out with much credit and even those pale to their cartoon predecessors. And maybe John Kani, who I imagine was paid by the second because his 'dialogue' is about 15 seconds long, and includes lots of excited grunting. Even the songs are bollocks. The cast ultimately feels a bit like they hired everyone who's up in the in crowd plus Favreau's mates and a couple of good actors, rather than cast good voice actors.

On the plus side, it truly does look incredible. It looks like they hurled money at VFX teams and just kept throwing it until the film was done. It looks astounding. It's often very hard to imagine that basically the entire screen is being filled with stuff that doesn't exist. Genuinely. This is high bar stuff.

But ultimately it's just a bit naff. It's not bad as a film, because at the end of the day they've just remade the original, which is a really good film. But it lacks the charm of the cartoon, and it doesn't have the fun or the original, and overall it's a bit dull.

It's a cracking tech demo though.

20 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I hated it to be honest

Horses for courses and all that. 

think I was in the right mood for some harmless junk and really enjoyed it. 

tonight I’m watching the remake of the 80s classic Flatliners - I’m not holding out much hope it’ll be good. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

tonight I’m watching the remake of the 80s classic Flatliners - I’m not holding out much hope it’ll be good. 

One of the worst films of the decade for me 😁

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Watched Ready or Not. Very tongue in cheek horror that was actually OK.

Watched that earlier today myself. Absolutely loved it! They nailed the dark humour perfectly and it was very well shot and acted.

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

One of the worst films of the decade for me 😁

It’s looking that way! And it’s not Diego Luna’s wig that’s the worst thing in it!

Have only 20 minutes left but at least I’ve caught up on all the VT threads 😂

Edited by theboyangel

Â