The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 06/11/2018 at 05:57, Pelle said:

And so, the review that noone was asking or waiting for: Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's full of inaccurassies, like Fat bottomed girls, recorded in '78, being played on a tour in 1975. A tour that really took place in '76 or '77. And more. But of course I loved it anyway. The fact that I saw it for the second time yesterday and considers to watch it again pretty much says it all, I guess. I thought the acting was good, expecially from Malek and Lee. And Hollander. But Gwylim Lee looked and sounded like the real Brian May. So much that I sometimes forgot that it actually wasn't him but an actor. Thw only thing that bothered me a bit was Roger Taylor being made to look like a sulking little boy, which he isn't. He's a very intelligent, funny and fiery man. At least according to those who knew him.

All in all, biased as I am, 10/10. Of course it's not that good, but, you know, it's a film about Queen. :)

I finally saw it last night. The Fox opening credits played by Brian May (or at least in the style of) was a nice touch. As you say many, many major historical accuracies which really jar if you know the real order of things.

I understand that for narrative they needed to change small things but the idea that they hadn't played together for years before Live Aid is a total lie as earlier that year in '85 they had played Rock in Rio in front of 250,000 people. That's why they were so good that day - they were used to playing crowds of that size. The film also made out the Rock in Rio performance from 1985 was about 10 years earlier right after A Night at the Opera came out - that was whack.

Also Mercury didn't know he was ill before Live Aid and if he had any suspicions he certainly hadn't shared it with the band. They are on record as saying that they didn't know until long after the Magic Tour nearly two years later.

I knew Roger & Brian didn't like Paul Prenter but boy they really went for him in this film. They blame him for introducing Fred to the Russian model that he contracted HIV (allegedly thats' who they narrowed it down too.) It came over as a little vindictive if I'm honest which is sadly how Brian is viewed by many people who have known/worked with him a long time. I guess every film needs a villain though.

I have to say that the recreation of the performance was stunning - crowd effects and the sound was excellent. They even left in the mistakes they made at the end of Hammer to Fall!

Finally special shout out to the drunk French tourist guy and his friends who shouted, swore and basically acted like clearings in the woods for the first half of the movie. They finally got thrown out of the theatre by the management for bad behavior which believe me in Manhattan is no mean feet. I hope you fell in front of a 3 train on the way back to your flea bitten off Time Square hotel room you absolute cretin.

• Like 2

Solo - not a bad film. Certainly better than the trilogy films. But not as good as Rogue One.

Story is pretty predictable, but fun. A few nods to the original trilogy with the escape scene, especially the helmet beckett wore and Cheewie chained. 

The actor doing Solo did really well and I thought the relationship with Cheewie was really good. Harrelson as always shone. Clarke was no near as wooden as she is in GOT which was good. Not normally a fan of Bettney but thought he did this role well. 

I didn’t like the L3 character, felt that was show horned in to suit political and social correctness. 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Local Vue are showing Prince Of Darkness on Thursday, really looking forward to it. If I remember right I think got a bit of a bad rep as another Exorcist knock-off but I think it's great stuff, bat-shit crazy but so much fun. Giant vats of antichrist slime hidden under churches, possessing/knocking-up women and luring them through mirrors, hordes of undead at the behest of zombie Alice Cooper... who knows what Carpenter was smoking at the time.

45 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Local Vue are showing Prince Of Darkness on Thursday, really looking forward to it. If I remember right I think got a bit of a bad rep as another Exorcist knock-off but I think it's great stuff, bat-shit crazy but so much fun. Giant vats of antichrist slime hidden under churches, possessing/knocking-up women and luring them through mirrors, hordes of undead at the behest of zombie Alice Cooper... who knows what Carpenter was smoking at the time.

Rewatched this again just the other day.

I know im a Carpenter fanboy but I think it's an overlooked classic. The atmosphere he creates is relentlessly uneasy and there's some genuinely tense moments. Plus it's a very interesting premise.

Plus of course it's probably got one of the longest opening credit sequences ever. I mean that shit goes on and on ?

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

Watched Rififi ( 1954) - a French film noir - the original heist movie I guess. Superbly done, there's a 20+ minute scene in almost pure silence when they are doing the heist that is utterly gripping. This and Bob le Flambeur were inspirations for the Ocean's Eleven films apparently, though the tone here is definitely noir.

• Like 2

Â