The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

20 hours ago, pooligan said:

Moon  (2009)

I am not a big fan of Sci-Fi films to be honest and watched this only because i was at a friends house and he wanted to watch it. To be fair i thought it was pretty good

Superb flick, with bonus Matt Berry no less!

And I'm glad to see François Pooffaut's film reviews are still going strong. ?

• Like 1

Bohemian Rhapsody......if you like the music of Queen then you will enjoy the film alot if you don't then you probably shouldn't bother.

I enjoyed it even if it did sanitise Freddie's life to a certain extent.

Rami Malik did a great job of recreating someone who is so unique.

• Like 2

On a similar theme to “Moon”, I watched “Sunshine” for the first time last night. Enjoyed it for the most part, wasn’t so sure about the final third but I was invested enough in it for it not to matter.

If you like either of them and you’ve not seen it before, I recommend “Europa Report” (no, nothing to do with not making the top four). It’s a film about a team of astronauts who have gone to research one of Jupiter’s moons. A fairly low key cast, but that really helps the isolated feel of the film for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

On a similar theme to “Moon”, I watched “Sunshine” for the first time last night. Enjoyed it for the most part, wasn’t so sure about the final third but I was invested enough in it for it not to matter.

If you like either of them and you’ve not seen it before, I recommend “Europa Report” (no, nothing to do with not making the top four). It’s a film about a team of astronauts who have gone to research one of Jupiter’s moons. A fairly low key cast, but that really helps the isolated feel of the film for whatever reason. 

And if you want to take it one step further, the final frontier if you will then there is always Event Horizon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Bohemian Rhapsody......if you like the music of Queen then you will enjoy the film alot if you don't then you probably shouldn't bother.

Watched this film yesterday and also enjoyed it.

I went with low expectations after having read some mixed reviews of the film but if you are a fan of Queen's music there's a lot to like in the film.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Reading the reviews makes me feel like we've gone back 30-40 years in time. The critics doesn't like it, the fans love it. :lol: Looking forward to it. Will probably watch it on Thursday.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Reading the reviews makes me feel like we've gone back 30-40 years in time. The critics doesn't like it, the fans love it. :lol: Looking forward to it. Will probably watch it on Thursday.

It does seem the public love it an the critics,not sure why they would universally come to that decision. 

On 20/10/2018 at 11:32, Shropshire Lad said:

Watched a bit of “Assault on Precinct 13” (1976) for the first time last night.

**** me, the ice cream van scene took me by surprise. Also, Laurie Zimmer (whom I’d never heard of) should have gone on to be a much bigger star rather than fading into obscurity.

On 20/10/2018 at 11:38, Designer1 said:

Oddly enough a mate and I were talking about that movie (and that scene) just last night.

It's always been a favourite of mine. I've often described it as a stripped down, urban version of Rio Bravo. It's quite an unsettling film in many ways.

That soundtrack too? Absolute minimalist electronic genius from Carpenter. Such an effective use of a slightly varying repetitive hook.

The remake was much better than I expected too, although as usual doesn't hold a candle to the Carpenter original.

On 20/10/2018 at 21:25, sne said:

Also agree on Attack on Precinct 13, love that movie.

No real point other than I just can't let a short conversation pass without some sort of comment even if I'm a week late to the party.

I watched it again the other week. Along with They Live it's my most watched Carpenter. 

It was the first '18' rated movie I ever saw by staying up late and watching telly as a kid. Had a profound effect on me. It definitely started my obsession with Carpenter. Taped it on video and watched it soooo many times.

I hated the re-make, but then it would be like re-making Casablanca or The Third Man to me. What's the point? So I was never going to like it and I'm massively biased.

Brutal, Simple, Effective, Cheap-ish, killer soundtrack, edgy dialogue, memorable one liners. All very Resevoir Dogs.

Minority hero, Strong female character, As anti-hero as an anti-hero can get people didn't make films like that and you didn't see them on the tellybox.

Anyway like I said no real point just one of my all time favourites despite the alleged flaws that get it classed as B movie or Cult status.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pooligan said:

Falling Down (1993)

I thought this was a pretty good film .I am not the biggest fan of Michael Douglas to be honest but thought he was really good in this 

For me, it's only flaw is

Spoiler

the whole ending bit where they make him some guy who actually is a crazy and is on a restraining order and all that.

Only because it feels like watering down Hollywood style the premise of Mr Normal just flipping one day. And therefore a missed opportunity for true greatness imo.

Great film though.

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

It does seem the public love it an the critics,not sure why they would universally come to that decision. 

That's just how it's always been. :) 

Just read that Lesley Ann Jones, who wrote Freddie's biography, thought that they had left out a lot of things. The thing is she doesn't know sh**e. Apparently she often writes a biography about a dead musician, saying she used to hang out with them and knew them well, when all those who actually did says she's just writing bs and she wasn't actually there, and her books are mostlly made up stories. Her latest victim is a certain David Bowie.

21 hours ago, Pelle said:

Most of the criticism ive seen are towards what does the film actually do? Whats the point of it? Personally i hate those kind of biographical films, i want it to put its cock on the block and say something

That said i think BR might get away with it because i dont know that much about them other than a couple of freddie documentaries

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Most of the criticism ive seen are towards what does the film actually do? Whats the point of it? Personally i hate those kind of biographical films, i want it to put its cock on the block and say something

That said i think BR might get away with it because i dont know that much about them other than a couple of freddie documentaries

Haven't seen it yet, so can't say, but I go to watch a movie to be entertained first and foremost. But yes, that's one of the criticisms. That and that didn't go into depth about Freddie's private life. The press wanted to overindulge on his sex life then and they want it today. But I don't really care. :)

image.png.30a5b5a4a3851c033946c64538c21a81.png

Absolutely superb, watched this last night, and will be repeating it again soon. It is long, but it completely rewards a patient watch, at turns, hilarious, absurd and heart-breaking, it focusses on a father-daughter relationship that has become a bit estranged over time. He, the older hippie generation, her the career-driven consultant but it is far more nuanced than that and they are not caricatures, as he tries to interrupt her life. The final fifteen minutes is the most fanatastically funny and cathartic pay-off for staying with these characters for the previous two hours.

• Like 3

On 22/10/2018 at 21:05, Designer1 said:

Mandy_(2018_film).png.d332df7e1355640583081de024f28e66.png

For those revenge horror fans who like their movies a little more erm...out there and surreal then this is pretty much bloody, psychedelic perfection with a cracking off the wall performance from Cage (bang on for this movie to be fair).

Loved it.

Also really liked it, trippy and artsy with a great 80's score and feel.

Extra + for the Celtic Frost battle axe. (Friend of mine pointed it out, would not have spotted it otherwise)

• Like 1

Â