The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched a bit of “Assault on Precinct 13” (1976) for the first time last night.

**** me, the ice cream van scene took me by surprise. Also, Laurie Zimmer (whom I’d never heard of) should have gone on to be a much bigger star rather than fading into obscurity.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Watched a bit of “Assault on Precinct 13” (1976) for the first time last night.

**** me, the ice cream van scene took me by surprise. Also, Laurie Zimmer (whom I’d never heard of) should have gone on to be a much bigger star rather than fading into obscurity.

Oddly enough a mate and I were talking about that movie (and that scene) just last night.

It's always been a favourite of mine. I've often described it as a stripped down, urban version of Rio Bravo. It's quite an unsettling film in many ways.

That soundtrack too? Absolute minimalist electronic genius from Carpenter. Such an effective use of a slightly varying repetitive hook.

The remake was much better than I expected too, although as usual doesn't hold a candle to the Carpenter original.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

Watched Gus van Sant's Elephant last night. Christ that is effective film-making. It's a filming of a day at a high school more or less entirely based on the Columbine shootings, and it follows some innocent students as well as the two killers, building up to the tragedy. There's no big music score ( though the music that is there is haunting ) and the camera just glides round the corridors following pupils going about their apparently normal day. It makes no attempt to claim there are answers to it. Disturbing, not something I'll watch again, but very effective.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Oddly enough a mate and I were talking about that movie (and that scene) just last night.

It's always been a favourite of mine. I've often described it as a stripped down, urban version of Rio Bravo. It's quite an unsettling film in many ways.

That soundtrack too? Absolute minimalist electronic genius from Carpenter. Such an effective use of a slightly varying repetitive hook.

The remake was much better than I expected too, although as usual doesn't hold a candle to the Carpenter original.

Speaking of Carpenter and soundtracks the revamped one for the new Halloween movie is supposedly really good. With the original one already being iconic.

The movie apparently OK.

Also agree on Attack on Precinct 13, love that movie.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Absolutely bloody love that track.

17 hours ago, sne said:

Oh, look! They are doing an "The Expendables of Horror" type movie with all the o'l familiar names.

Should be fun :D

Me clicking on the link, excitedly expecting Freddy, Pin-head, Jason, Chucky, Mike Myers and the Candyman in some kind of amazing horror hall of fame mash-up. 

How quickly hope can turn to despair.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First Man is first class ( sorry, too easy ). I didn't care too much for Chazelle and Gosling's last link up ( La La Land ) but here it fits perfectly. It so well conveys the absolute threat of this edge of world exploration ( the opening scene had me gripping the handseat :D ) and the risks involved, as well as being a powerfully intense focus on Armstrong's mental state during the build up. Gosling doing the brooding introvert as his is style works really well here. But it does a great job of balancing the spectacle of space ( the scenes in the rockets and on the moon are **** superbly done ) with the human story.

Despite it being a true life story, I'll continue in spoilers

Spoiler

the death of his daughter casts a huge shadow, and the introverted way he internalises that grief adds to the tension, at times, you just want to scream at him to say something, when his wife is trying to get him to speak to his son's ahead of the launch.

I also knew some of the events - like the Apollo disaster already and I was dreading that moment, I was glad they only show it briefly as I knew who was going to be dying, ( Jason Clarke seems to like playing doomed characters ) and having read about it previously, it's a horrific way to go )

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

First Man is first class ( sorry, too easy ). I didn't care too much for Chazelle and Gosling's last link up ( La La Land ) but here it fits perfectly. It so well conveys the absolute threat of this edge of world exploration ( the opening scene had me gripping the handseat :D ) and the risks involved, as well as being a powerfully intense focus on Armstrong's mental state during the build up. Gosling doing the brooding introvert as his is style works really well here. But it does a great job of balancing the spectacle of space ( the scenes in the rockets and on the moon are **** superbly done ) with the human story.

Despite it being a true life story, I'll continue in spoilers

You accidentally quoted here instead of spoiling :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Shit, cheers for that.

No worries. I've made that mistake plenty of times!

On topic, I can't wait to see First Man. Will probably get to see it next week.

Mandy_(2018_film).png.d332df7e1355640583081de024f28e66.png

For those revenge horror fans who like their movies a little more erm...out there and surreal then this is pretty much bloody, psychedelic perfection with a cracking off the wall performance from Cage (bang on for this movie to be fair).

Loved it.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Moon  (2009)

I am not a big fan of Sci-Fi films to be honest and watched this only because i was at a friends house and he wanted to watch it. To be fair i thought it was pretty good

• Like 3

A Star is Born (2018) - Wasn't sure if I'd like this, but went along with the wife and really enjoyed it. Helps that I liked the music (Coopers character's songs were great) and I thought both Cooper and Gaga were great in this. Their chemistry was fantastic and the singing was all recorded live for the film

• Like 1

Den blomstertid nu kommer Poster

Just watched Swedish indie movie Den Blomstertid nu Kommer (The Unthinkable).

It's a crowdfunded Kickstarter movie with a budget of only £1.5m made by film collective Crazy Pictures who have only made some Youtube and commercial stuff before.

Considering the budget it is amazing how good it looks and is, but of course it will not be perfect by any means.

The whole film feels very Swedish (can't explain to someone not Swedish :D ) especially to us growing up with the threat of the Cold War in the 80's.

It's a about some sort of "attack" on Sweden and follows a guy who grew up in  the countryside with some family issues during this event.

It's plausibly implausible (if there is such a thing) with small gestures and without Hollywood crap.

You will recognize some of the feel if you've seen Tomorrow when the war Began or even Red Dawn but without the hero stuff or flag waving.

Once again, that they have been able to do this 2h movie with that budget and having it ending up far better than many movies with 50-100 times the budget is amazing.

Really impressed, but don't go in expecting to see Independence Day or Saving Private Ryan.

6-6.5-/10.

But If you consider the budget the score is much higher still.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â