The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Maybe not quite the right thread as I haven’t watched the film, but last night I became aware of the helicopter crash that took place during the filming of The Twilight Zone movie, killing three people (two of them children). I was surprised that I’d never heard this before.

18 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Maybe not quite the right thread as I haven’t watched the film, but last night I became aware of the helicopter crash that took place during the filming of The Twilight Zone movie, killing three people (two of them children). I was surprised that I’d never heard this before.

Yeah Vic Morrow was the actor.

Horrible stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Horrible stuff. 

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They weren't even in the helicopter.  It crashed on top of them!

Yeah the nature of the accident was really horrible.

It shocked me because it’s obviously a horrific story, but also because I’d never heard about it. 

I could understand why I hadn’t heard of it if it was some obscure foreign film but the likes of Spielberg and John Landis amongst others being involved in the film, it just surprised me. Just a total blind spot in my knowledge I guess.

41 minutes ago, Designer1 said:
1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Horrible stuff. 

He's reported to have said something along the lines of "I must be mad to be filming this scene" just before it all happened too.

11 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

North Derbyshire so technically still East Mids. Having spent most of my childhood there it's grimmer than anything the north has to offer.

I mean, I bow to your local knowledge, but everyone I know in Chesterfield sees themselves as a northerner, and they all seem to spend far more time in Sheffield than in Derby. Is Matlock any different?

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, I bow to your local knowledge, but everyone I know in Chesterfield sees themselves as a northerner, and they all seem to spend far more time in Sheffield than in Derby. Is Matlock any different?

Well, it's further south for a start. But it does feel like a Northern town. Hm. 

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was born in Chesterfield (moved to Brum when I was 5) we're all definitely northern. My post was tongue in cheek based on 'its grim oop north'. Matlock is a grim place. Nice park though.

One of my best friends is from Cromford, and I remember him telling the story of walking with his friend on a path and being accosted by 'the Screwdriver Gang', so called because that was their weapon of choice for muggings. Apparently his friend simply told them to **** off sharpish and that was the end of that. 

I think Shane Meadows considers himself a midlander and all his films are set around his locality.  I believe he manages to slip in some kind of Notts County paraphernalia in the background of all his films.

For me Sheffield is the start of the North. 

Also, the Chesterfield accent is hilarious.

At University our halls of residence did some sort of team activity. We were split into two teams, North vs South.

I was genuinely baffled when the unanimous agreement was that people from the Midlands (there were only a couple of us) fell into the "North".

To me the "North" starts in South Yorkshire sort of area. Around the Peak District

• Confused 1

I watched Hereditary on the flight home last night, and for the record, my choice was based on the reviews from the gentlemen on Villa Talk.

I didn't expect much, but, good movie! It is now over 24 hours since I watched it, and I am still thinking about it.

• Like 1

Took a few long haul flights in the last few weeks and watched a number of films, as I never sleep on planes.

Let's see if I can remember them all...in the style of Pooligan...

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 7/10 WB - although I did lose track of who was double crossing who!

The Meg - 7/10 WB - fun movie and Li Bingbing :wub:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 5/10 .Let the franchise die in peace. 

Tag - 6/10 - quite funny in parts... better than expected

Skyscraper - 5/10 - A poor Die Hard knock off. Not the Rock's finest hour (usually a big fan of his)

Equalizer 2 - 6/10 - Not a patch on the first one although Denzel is always watchable

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 7/10 WB - Was expecting it to be terrible but I really liked it. 

Deadpool 2 - 7/10 WB - Enjoyable

Ready Player One - 8/10 WB - Biggst surprise... thought it looked shit from the trailer but it was excellent. Funny to see parts of Brum as well used!

Isle of Dogs - 5/10 - Can't get on with Wes Anderson movies

• Like 1

Tried to watch Mission Impossible: Fallout. Didn't quite make it.

The last film from this series I watched was the 4th I think. Turned it off when Tom Cruise was jumping around on a skyscraper during a sand storm in Dubai (I think)

But this one had gotten rave reviews so I thought I'd give it a go. Turns out once again it wasn't for me.

Managed almost 1 hour and a half before i gave up.

Should state that I really can't stand Tom Cruise as a human being and for quite many years now I can't see past him when he's acting. Everything is just Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise in an ego fest where everything is centered about him.

Not saying he's not done good roles in the past, he has.

The first 90 mins of this turd is not among them thou.

Edited by sne

Â