The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

42 minutes ago, pooligan said:

Die Hard (1988)

Another film off my to watch list .Have to say i think it is a really good film and i really enjoyed watching it

Christmas film or not?

Pooligans decision will be final on this matter and the relevant people notified.

6 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Christmas film or not?

Pooligans decision will be final on this matter and the relevant people notified.

While we’re awaiting the definitive answer, I’ve decided that “Die Hard” is as much a Christmas film as “It’s a Wonderful Life” is.

On 01/11/2018 at 12:18, sne said:

The Nun

Pretty standard Catholicism vs evil horror film that uses the usual tropes and if done well could have been rather good as the story is not that bad.

pretty sure thats the same thing ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Girl in the Spiders Web................would be better as a straight to Netflix film

Yeah doesn't look great.

What a mess.

The first one was so good, I'm genuinely gutted they couldn't just do the original prequel.

the Spiders Web book isn't even good.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah doesn't look great.

What a mess.

The first one was so good, I'm genuinely gutted they couldn't just do the original prequel.

the Spiders Web book isn't even good.

It wasnt even a mess, it was just boring and nothing new or fresh

Think the Fincher/Craig combination was much better

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Christmas film or not?

trouble is his decision will probably be delivered to us in about 30 years time

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, coda said:

Watched a film called Possum directed by this guy 

250px-Simon_TheComputerGeek.JPG (250Ã332)

I didn't like it :(

But did the film at least say something? Did it have a message or a theme? Even if it were something simple, like 'Don't genetically engineer crabs to be as big as men'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

But did the film at least say something? Did it have a message or a theme? Even if it were something simple, like 'Don't genetically engineer crabs to be as big as men'?

I always think there's a whole load of untapped potential with Garth Marenghi.  I'd love to see a film version of Juggers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

While we’re awaiting the definitive answer, I’ve decided that “Die Hard” is as much a Christmas film as “It’s a Wonderful Life” is.

Gremlins is the top Xmas film for me. 

One to keep an eye out for all of you with Red Dead Redemption 2 fewer?

November 16th on Netflix

edit: And on the same note there is apparently a Deadwood movie coming sometime early next year.

Bildresultat för swearingen deadwood gif

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

And so, the review that noone was asking or waiting for: Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's full of inaccurassies, like Fat bottomed girls, recorded in '78, being played on a tour in 1975. A tour that really took place in '76 or '77. And more. But of course I loved it anyway. The fact that I saw it for the second time yesterday and considers to watch it again pretty much says it all, I guess. I thought the acting was good, expecially from Malek and Lee. And Hollander. But Gwylim Lee looked and sounded like the real Brian May. So much that I sometimes forgot that it actually wasn't him but an actor. Thw only thing that bothered me a bit was Roger Taylor being made to look like a sulking little boy, which he isn't. He's a very intelligent, funny and fiery man. At least according to those who knew him.

All in all, biased as I am, 10/10. Of course it's not that good, but, you know, it's a film about Queen. :)

• Like 3

Finally got around to watch Sicario, Day of the Soldado.

Was pretty meh, not terrible but considering the actors involved it should have been better.

Bit shallow and pointless. They tried to make it "realistic" and grim but it needed more context or world building to really work.

All in all a generous 6/10.

On 05/11/2018 at 10:21, Rodders said:

Peterloo - all about the massacre in 1819. 

I watched this tonight , thought it was dull as watching Blues play

it was far too Northern with all its “will thee” , the dialect was like Shakespeare meets A Peter Kay bread advert , why use 20 words when you can use 46 instead.. the fate of the solider was even a nod to Star Trek and the redshirts which seemed to be his only purpose for being in the film 

and it took bloody ages before they started cracking a few heads open

yeah I know I’m a heathen but that was dreadful , I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone 

On 05/11/2018 at 15:55, Troglodyte said:

I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards.

• Like 1

Â