The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The original is my favourite film from my childhood and I don't understand why it needs to be remade as it isn't that old, so I'm going to object to this. 

However, the CGI does look very good. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the live action Beauty and the Beast so this might be ace.

Well it’ll be 25 years old by the time this new one come out. That’s hardly yesterday!

13 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The original is my favourite film from my childhood and I don't understand why it needs to be remade as it isn't that old, so I'm going to object to this. 

However, the CGI does look very good. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the live action Beauty and the Beast so this might be ace.

I thought the same about The Jungle Book and I thought it was really very well done.  Looking forward to this. 

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Ugh. Hollywood's completely bankrupt of ideas, every film is another Western. They're all the same! Same white hat beats the black hat in a shootout at the end. They're so boring, I don't understand how anyone but kids likes them, simple morality tales for simple people. Films should be about profound stuff, human emotion, beauty, not silly horse chases and saving 'dames' on the range.

Tsk, cinema's dying

/60smoviesnob

Very droll.

I think one difference is that, as far as I’m aware, they didn’t reboot the character “The Man with no name” four times in the space of twenty years. 

We didn’t see multiple reimaginings of “Shane”. Etc etc.

That’s not a defence of all the rubbish westerns that I have no doubt were produced, but it is one of the criticisms of superhero films of today.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Very droll.

I think one difference is that, as far as I’m aware, they didn’t reboot the character “The Man with no name” four times in the space of twenty years. 

We didn’t see multiple reimaginings of “Shane”. Etc etc.

That’s not a defence of all the rubbish westerns that I have no doubt were produced, but it is one of the criticisms of superhero films of today.

Oh, I dunno. There have been umpteen versions of the Wyatt Earp/OK Corral saga, lots of Jesse James and Billy the Kid movies, remakes of True Grit and 3.10 to Yuma (both of which were pretty good, tbh), endless ever-worsening Magnificent Sevens, etc. 

None of which detracts from the joy of the originals, if you 'get' it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I dunno. There have been umpteen versions of the Wyatt Earp/OK Corral saga, lots of Jesse James and Billy the Kid movies, remakes of True Grit and 3.10 to Yuma (both of which were pretty good, tbh), endless ever-worsening Magnificent Sevens, etc. 

None of which detracts from the joy of the originals, if you 'get' it. 

Yeah fair enough.

Put it like this, as someone who isn’t an expert on westerns, if you asked me who the biggest western characters are I would say “the man with no name” and Rooster Cogburn.  

They didn’t milk “the man with no name” for all he’s worth with different film versions. As far as I can see, Rooster Cogburn appeared on film twice before they remade “True Grit” four decades later.

For me, that’s different to having Spider-Man remade three times in fifteen years.

Side note, typing out “they didn’t milk the man with no name” was strange.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Would that not be a result of the Western genre not trading on recognisable characters though? There aren't many iconic individual Western characters, but there are archetypes that the genre ended up repeating over and over, ultimately meaning that while the same character didn't strictly appear, you did get the same white hat/black hat over and over, and you got the same stories again and again.

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Would that not be a result of the Western genre not trading on recognisable characters though? There aren't many iconic individual Western characters, but there are archetypes that the genre ended up repeating over and over, ultimately meaning that while the same character didn't strictly appear, you did get the same white hat/black hat over and over, and you got the same stories again and again.

Yeah you’ll undoubtedly have what is essentially the same story with different characters. 

I suppose the difference is those films would trade on the fact that Clint Eastwood or Lee Marvin is in the film rather than today where a superhero film is traded on that it’s Batman or whatever.

Basically my biggest complaint (and it’s not really that much of a complaint, cos I don’t go and watch them) is the quick succession of “hey let’s find out what happens when Thomas and Martha Wayne visit the theatre” again. 

I don’t begrudge remakes being made, but I feel that there should be a bit more breathing space between remakes, reboots whatever. Come back to things with a fresh take, a modern eye to it, whatever and I think a lot more people would be less critical of superhero films.

It has a cynical money making feel to it, but as Mike points out that was probably present too with the diminishing returns of the magnificent seven films all those years ago.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

one thing that should be the theme of modern westerns is stunning cinematography, buster scruggs has it, the assassination of jesse james has it, no country for old men, hateful 8, revenant etc etc

the starting point is the cinematography, the setting and world is as fascinating as the characters so really sell it

another couple of good ones in the last couple of years wind river and hell or high water, both well worth a watch

• Like 1

Rebellion, the game developers that own 2000ad and a bunch of other classic British comic characters, have set up a movie studio. A Rogue Trooper movie is already in development and no doubt they'll want to adapt other characters fairly shortly - Strontium Dog and the like.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Rebellion, the game developers that own 2000ad and a bunch of other classic British comic characters, have set up a movie studio. A Rogue Trooper movie is already in development and no doubt they'll want to adapt other characters fairly shortly - Strontium Dog and the like.

Read about this earlier and as an unashamed 2000AD fanboy it's fantastic news.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2018 at 19:24, Rds1983 said:

The original is my favourite film from my childhood and I don't understand why it needs to be remade as it isn't that old

The Lion King is 25 years old when this new version comes out. I'd call that pretty old!

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

This is great.

Good news about Rogue Trooper, and I am hoping it is based on the first incarnation. My wish list would have to include Halo Jones, and ABC Warriors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hogso said:

I...can't decide if Matlock is in the North. I'm verging on not. 

North Derbyshire so technically still East Mids. Having spent most of my childhood there it's grimmer than anything the north has to offer.

Â