The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The thing to remember with each new Spider-Man version, it brings with it a new Aunt May doing her best Benjamin Button impression.

In 2002, we had 75 year old Rosemary Harris. In 2012, we had 66 year old Sally Field. Finally in 2017 we had 53 year old Marissa Tomei.

I look forward to the next version with Peter Parker consoling a grieving Aunt May as played by a thirty something Emma Watson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/11/2018 at 22:37, mjmooney said:

Well, I beg to differ. Never seen a Coen bros film I didn't like. Just finished Buster Scruggs, and I thought it was BRILLIANT. 

But then I'm a huge westerns fan, anyway. 

I think it's fascinating how westerns were so popular for a while and there's a generation of kids who grew up loving them and playing cowboys and indians. To me they were always just long, boring films that my grandparents would watch on a Sunday afternoon.

Seems like a dead genre, but with Westworld and Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out recently too, I want to sit and watch one. Any recommendations? I really don't think I've seen any.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I think it's fascinating how westerns were so popular for a while and there's a generation of kids who grew up loving them and playing cowboys and indians. To me they were always just long, boring films that my grandparents would watch on a Sunday afternoon.

Seems like a dead genre, but with Westworld and Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out recently too, I want to sit and watch one. Any recommendations? I really don't think I've seen any.

True Grit. 

Either version is good, but the 2010 version would be in keeping with the Coen Brothers discussion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I always felt that way about westerns (with the exception of “Back to the future III” & “Blazing Saddles” obviously). Dry, slow paced. It’s far from my favourite genre but there are a few good ones to get you started. 

Start off with a fun one “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid”. Very enjoyable and it’s more of a cat & mouse chase film. That should ease you in.

The dollars trilogy is an obvious one. “A fistful of dollars” is ok, but the two follow up films are easily superior (“For a few dollars more” and “The Good, the Bad & the Ugly”). You could probably watch those two without seeing the first film.

Not seen the original, but the remake of “3:10 to Yuma” is pretty good. “The Wild Bunch” is a sort of one last hurrah of the old west kinda film.

But the film buffs on here will point you in the right direction.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I always felt that way about westerns (with the exception of “Back to the future III” & “Blazing Saddles” obviously). Dry, slow paced. It’s far from my favourite genre but there are a few good ones to get you started. 

Start off with a fun one “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid”. Very enjoyable and it’s more of a cat & mouse chase film. That should ease you in.

The dollars trilogy is an obvious one. “A fistful of dollars” is ok, but the two follow up films are easily superior (“For a few dollars more” and “The Good, the Bad & the Ugly”). You could probably watch those two without seeing the first film.

Not seen the original, but the remake of “3:10 to Yuma” is pretty good. “The Wild Bunch” is a sort of one last hurrah of the old west kinda film.

But the film buffs on here will point you in the right direction.

Unforgiven.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Absolutely adore the Western genre.

There are plenty of stone cold classics to be watched and overlooked gems to be discovered.

Open Range,

Assassination of Jesse James,

Ride with the Devil,

Ravenous,

Bone Tomahawk

3:10 to Yuma

All worth a watch, if not all perhaps THAT new some of them.

Hostiles is supposed to be OK as well but not had time to see it yet.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  Never liked Westerns and the genre itself would turn me off watching a film.  So I asked for recommendations.  One I was given, which doesn't follow the usual good guy gets the girl format (far from it in fact) is The Ox-Bow Incident.  It's a very old film in style as much as age, but worth checking out for its storyline (try not to spoil it for yourself online first).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Really looking forward to this. 

Good cast, hope it's decent. 

The original is my favourite film from my childhood and I don't understand why it needs to be remade as it isn't that old, so I'm going to object to this. 

However, the CGI does look very good. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the live action Beauty and the Beast so this might be ace.

This westerns business ties in with the conversation in another thread (Piss You Off, I think) about oldsters of my generation being fascinated by World War Two. Westerns go hand in glove with that. Every Hollywood movie of the 50s that wasn't a war film was a western. And my Dad and I watched as many as possible. When I grew up I didn't want to be a train driver, I wanted to be a gunslinger. There have been a few good suggestions in this thread, but I'd only have a few from the 'modern era'  - post 1965 or thereabouts :) Tombstone an emphatic yes, but Open Range is no better than a B-movie (although western B-movies still rate pretty highly in my eyes). And then there were the TV westerns... but that's for another posting. 

• Like 1

There's a fair bit to agree with in this vid.

I also hate the beast redesign. They make him far less 'beastly' than the animation does and it doesn't work as well. In the animation he looks like a monster, hunched over with a bisons head and fanged underbite. Here he looks like a furry's wet dream with only slight nods to the animation.

In other news... Orson Wells' finally posthumously 'finished' last movie The Other Side of the Wind

A cineaste's wet dream. An unfinished movie by an eccentric megalomaniac auteur, about... an unfinished movie by an eccentric megalomaniac auteur. Hollywood eats itself before your very eyes. Mrs M declared it "a load of old bollocks". Me, I'll go with "flawed masterpiece". If you're going to watch (Netflix), the Wikipedia article linked above is highly recommended. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This westerns business ties in with the conversation in another thread (Piss You Off, I think) about oldsters of my generation being fascinated by World War Two. Westerns go hand in glove with that. Every Hollywood movie of the 50s that wasn't a war film was a western. And my Dad and I watched as many as possible. When I grew up I didn't want to be a train driver, I wanted to be a gunslinger. There have been a few good suggestions in this thread, but I'd only have a few from the 'modern era'  - post 1965 or thereabouts :) Tombstone an emphatic yes, but Open Range is no better than a B-movie (although western B-movies still rate pretty highly in my eyes). And then there were the TV westerns... but that's for another posting. 

Ugh. Hollywood's completely bankrupt of ideas, every film is another Western. They're all the same! Same white hat beats the black hat in a shootout at the end. They're so boring, I don't understand how anyone but kids likes them, simple morality tales for simple people. Films should be about profound stuff, human emotion, beauty, not silly horse chases and saving 'dames' on the range.

Tsk, cinema's dying

/60smoviesnob

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Ugh. Hollywood's completely bankrupt of ideas, every film is another Western. They're all the same! Same white hat beats the black hat in a shootout at the end. They're so boring, I don't understand how anyone but kids likes them, simple morality tales for simple people. Films should be about profound stuff, human emotion, beauty, not silly horse chases and saving 'dames' on the range.

Tsk, cinema's dying

/60smoviesnob

I like 60s movies, but they're a different ballgame. At heart I'm a believer that the golden age was 1940 to 1960 - war, westerns, gangsters and noir (plus the odd musical and screwball comedy). 

Films should be about anything we damn well like (I also love the French New Wave, Italian neorealism, Ealing comedies, you name it - just don't ask me to watch superhero films, slasher horror or martial arts). 

Â