The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Fair enough :D

The film was absolutely bobbins though. Like an aging rock tribute band to a band everyone had forgotten about.

Yeah the film was shit. 

I’d say it was worth a watch but it’s nothing special at all. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's certainly not looking for cheap laughs, but it is VERY funny, imo. 

It's my favourite comedy ever.

Yep. Just above Partridge and The Thick of It. 

The Office Xmas Special is, in my opinion, the greatest British comedy episode of all time (ok, it was a two-parter)

• Like 2

The Brent film is decent but it did feel a little OTT. Like he was playing up to Brent's worst traits. Its a decent ending though. 

Gervais though, his track record for comedy series is excellent. Office (2 series), Extras (2 series), Life's Too Short (1 series) and Derek (2 series) and even the weakest of the 7 series is still what I would class as very good. The Office is an all time classic. Gervais' podcasts were great and the original XFM shows are the greatest radio shows ever. Yes, I am a fan but I'm not blind to his faults. His stand up is ok and i do find him a bit preachy at times. 

The Office is one of the greats, Episodes is very good (although it’s been ages since I’ve seen either).

Life’s too short has funny bits but on the whole I wasn’t fussed, the celeb cameos feel forced and unfunny at times. Definitely the poorest of the Gervais/Merchant collaborations. I never really bothered with Derek, the bits I saw I was indifferent to. 

I got bored of the the mockumentary style set up, I think it’s been overdone. As such I never got round to watching Life on the road. 

I didn’t mind Gervais’ other feature films - Ghost Town, The Invention of Lying both have their moments. Cemetery Junction is probably the best one.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Was, maybe.

Fair point. I’ve not REALLY liked much of his for a while. Derek was brilliant for a series and a half but lost its way. 

Nothing since then really. 

I actually watched all of The Office for the first time last week. Never bothered before because I can't stand Ricky Gervais. But I thought it was absolutely brilliant and Brent is a fantastic character.

In terms of the film, it just doesn't look right and I'm not sure I'll bother watching it.

Considering watching either Three Billboards or The Shape of Water this weekend. More interested in the former but it can't be too long before it's available at home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Shape of Water tomorrow for me. I wasn’t sold by the trailer and I’m hit and miss on Del Torro. 

But reviews have swayed me. 

I'll be interested in your thoughts.

In particular the ending..

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Yep. Just above Partridge and The Thick of It. 

The Office Xmas Special is, in my opinion, the greatest British comedy episode of all time (ok, it was a two-parter)

I watch it every Christmas 

• Like 1

I really liked the first couple seasons of Coupling :ph34r:

(Not saying it's the best British comedy ever mind)

Also re-watched Jaume Balaguero's flawed but IMO vastly underrated Darkness.

It's not as good as Fragiles or REC, but still worth the watch. Then again I like most of his early movies including Los sin nombre.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Office and Inbetweeners both quality. Best British comedy ever? What about only fools and horses? 

Only Fools went on too long Should have ended it when they got their money. Everything after was just poor. 

The Office and Fawlty Towers went out at the top, the best way to go!

• Like 2

Â