The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh?

as in you don't rate those films or I've missed some obvious films since?

Those were big films early in his career that did well and I liked him in, can't think of many others since then? Not that I've thought about it extensively mind

10 minutes ago, Rodders said:

as in you don't rate those films or I've missed some obvious films since?

Those were big films early in his career that did well and I liked him in, can't think of many others since then? Not that I've thought about it extensively mind

I'd say he's done quite a few films since then that are at least "half decent"

Where did travolta peak ....did he think it was SnF ....then when he was in pulp fiction he must have known been a seasoned pro this was the film ....every line a classic 

Broken Arrow and Face Off  two good flicks as well ... Or was Cage the star in Face Off 

Edited by Meath_Villan

Barbarella  (1968)

God,i can't believe it is 50 years ago  since i first saw this  film at the cinema .To be honest,i had forgotten most of the film except for how sexy Jane Fonda was in it .Some of the outfits she wore were a bit daring for the time .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd say he's done quite a few films since then that are at least "half decent"

Ali and The Pursuit of Happyness off the top of my head.

I am Legend was a bit crap IMO.

I think Jude Law peaked in The Talented Mr Ripley...

Edit: quoted wrong person but still makes sense.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
Phil Stamp

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I am legend I think depends on whether you've read the book, as someone who has it's up there as one the worst films I've ever seen, completely missed the whole point 

I quite liked the film and never understood the stick it got. 

Then I read the book last year! The ending in the book is about 10 million times better than either ending they filmed for that movie. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Just watched “supersonic”. 

Very good, already knew some of the anecdotes but it was nice to hear from some of the supporting players (along with Liam & Noel, of course) and the behind the scenes footage is great.

The Crystal Meth in NYC bit had me in stitches! 

I was at 16 when I went to Knebworth, so the ending had me a bit emotional for times gone by. 

And as one twitter user so eloquently put it: 

“250k people in a field, just loving the music and not one word removed on a mobile phone” 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Where did travolta peak ....did he think it was SnF ....then when he was in pulp fiction he must have known been a seasoned pro this was the film ....every line a classic 

Broken Arrow and Face Off  two good flicks as well ... Or was Cage the star in Face Off 

I’d say artistically he peaked at Pulp Fiction. In terms of being one of the biggest stars on the planet, he peaked at Saturday night fever (with help from Grease).

Saturday night fever was admittedly before I was born, but it comes across that he was at his peak commercially then.

I suppose you have other actors who have renaissance so arguably they have more than one peak. Brando with On the Waterfront and The Godfather being an obvious example.

On 12/28/2017 at 17:55, Shropshire Lad said:

Just watched “supersonic”. 

Very good, already knew some of the anecdotes but it was nice to hear from some of the supporting players (along with Liam & Noel, of course) and the behind the scenes footage is great.

Fantastic documentary. Watched it myself for about the 3rd time the other night. 

Been blasting the first 2 albums again since! 

• Like 2

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Thought it was fantastic. One of the best films I’ve seen this year. Sam Rockwell was **** outstanding. However, the ending: 

Spoiler

“Let’s go and murder this guy who might have done something bad,” and Rockwell’s complete change in character didn’t quite sit right with me. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - written and directed by the guy who did Bone Tomahawk. 

A proper grindhouse, slow burning violent escapade starring Vince Vaughan(!!?!) which somehow works on many levels. 

I **** adored that film.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2017 at 12:03, JB said:

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Thought it was fantastic. One of the best films I’ve seen this year. Sam Rockwell was **** outstanding. However, the ending: 

Hide contents

“Let’s go and murder this guy who might have done something bad,” and Rockwell’s complete change in character didn’t quite sit right with me. 

Maybe a little too neat an ending although

Spoiler

I thought they weren't going to kill the guy because of the whole 'violence begets violence'. 

Â