The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Available on Netflix

Decent by the number revenge thriller. Chan playing a more serious role and Brosnan playing the most Irish person ever

6/10

The_Foreigner_(2017_film).jpg

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Available on Netflix

Decent by the number revenge thriller. Chan playing a more serious role and Brosnan playing the most Irish person ever

6/10

It was shite ...3/10 ....total rip of that arni film collateral damage 

On 12/24/2017 at 21:36, Xela said:

Available on Netflix

6/10

I have hears Brosnan is based on a particular Irishman ;)

Amazingly Jumanji 2 is quite entertaining. All about the leads, I always enjoy The Rock but Kevin Hart Jack Black and Karen Gillan were all good company. The premise was executed well enough though there were a couple of holes that seemed to have been made simply to facilitate some contrived scenes, and it certainly has a bit of cringe and naff CGI at times bit bugger it, I laughed more or less throughout. Disposable but fun. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Watched 'Life' last night

It was ok... should have been better considering the cast but passable. 

Mind you, if i'd be christened Calvin, I would have slaughtered everyone as well. 

Signed up for odeon limitless after looking at the films coming out for 2018, lets hope it isnt wasted money. Will start off with the greatest showman, not overly fussed by the trailers but seems as decent as most to watch and im convincing myself that because the prestige was great and this is also magic it will be good. A loose link but a link all the same. 

Saw Daddys Home 2 on xmas eve and it was on par with the first, good easy comedy to watch, a bit more cheesy overall and showcase mustve paid a huge chunk for their sponsorship in it but still enjoyable. 

3 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Signed up for odeon limitless after looking at the films coming out for 2018, lets hope it isnt wasted money. Will start off with the greatest showman, not overly fussed by the trailers but seems as decent as most to watch and im convincing myself that because the prestige was great and this is also magic it will be good. A loose link but a link all the same. 

Saw Daddys Home 2 on xmas eve and it was on par with the first, good easy comedy to watch, a bit more cheesy overall and showcase mustve paid a huge chunk for their sponsorship in it but still enjoyable. 

I put myself through "Daddy's Home" a couple of weeks ago.

I like Will Ferrel comedies and I've liked his previous work with Wahlberg (The Other Guys is a decent film)

But I couldn't get into "Daddy's Home". Found is so boring and predictable. Turned it off after an hour. Shame.

We have a thing in work where we name actors who have peaked and when making the movie do they know that "that movie" was the peak ...then how do you cope as a professional knowing anything after will never be as good ..... so lets say as actor wise russell crowe peaked in "gladiator" ....he set himself up with a great performance in the slow burner .."the insider" then delivered the performance of a lifetime in gladiator ...had some great performances after say in Cinderella man or American Gangster but he would never reach the height of gladiator again possibly ever ...and director wise ....Peter Jackson ...only 56 but has he spunked the load on the LOTR trilogy ? like everything was just near perfect for that movie casting, music , sets etc everything after has just been ....a bit shit ......or am I the only one who errr thinks on those lines ?

I notice it sometimes,  was even discussing it recently. A couple of obvious names that cropped up were Kevin Costner "peaking" twenty years ago and doing nothing but mostly guff afterwards. Will Smith maybe? I mean after MiB and Independence Day, has he done anything even half decent? 

watched Happy Death Day today and that was good fun, smartly done and did the job well enough.

Yeah you can look at certain actors and say, yep that was the film where they set the bar or the film that they will forever be known for. I have a mate who always says “what’s he done since?”.

Russell Crowe’s had a great career but you’re right, the peak was and most likely will remain “Gladiator” (although I bloody love “Master & Commander”).

At least it happened well into his career though. I think it would be more annoying if a “peak” was nearer the start of a career.

Again, he’s had a good career, but I bet if you asked people to name the best Richard E Grant film, most people will say “withnail & I”. There are better examples I’m sure.

But it reminds me of an interview with Morgan Freeman when he was asked whether he was annoyed about his success happening later on in life, to which said no because it didn’t have to happen at all.

tl;dr - So in answer to your question @Meath_Villan, no you won’t be the only one to think about these things.

• Thanks 1

Â