The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I went to see Detroit at mac on Sunday, which was a very good movie. However, I sat next to the single worst people to watch a movie with in the entire world:

• Halfway through the movie, this middle-aged couple removed a large bar of chocolate from their bag and proceeded to break it into pieces, while still in the rustly silver-foil lining. This lasted for at least a minute. 
  • The woman then began to masticate, extremely loudly, NOM-NOM-NOM like some **** animal while she ate it
  • She then picked her teeth with her fingers, repeatedly
  • After getting her fingers covered in gunky tooth residue, she attempted to wipe the evidence clear on her seat, but actually wiped her fingers on my wife's skirt
  • She then sniffed her fingers, got a real good hard waft of what she was brewing up on her gums
  • This cycle repeated on more than one occasion
  • She also elbowed my wife in the ribs on three occasions, while attempting to dominate the armrest

I've honestly never seen anything like it. 

This is why I don't go to the cinema. Other people

Said before I would gladly pay to watch new releases at home

7 hours ago, sne said:

The Girl with All the Gifts Poster Not too shabby.

Rather liked this different take on the zombie apocalypse.

Have not read the novel so can't compare. Bit unexpected to see Glenn Close in a zombie flick.

My friends daughter was one of the feral kids (she was the one who got decked outside the shop!) 

My mate also got to meet a lot of the cast of said Glenn close was really cool and down to earth. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I went to see Detroit at mac on Sunday, which was a very good movie. However, I sat next to the single worst people to watch a movie with in the entire world:

• Halfway through the movie, this middle-aged couple removed a large bar of chocolate from their bag and proceeded to break it into pieces, while still in the rustly silver-foil lining. This lasted for at least a minute. 
  • The woman then began to masticate, extremely loudly, NOM-NOM-NOM like some **** animal while she ate it
  • She then picked her teeth with her fingers, repeatedly
  • After getting her fingers covered in gunky tooth residue, she attempted to wipe the evidence clear on her seat, but actually wiped her fingers on my wife's skirt
  • She then sniffed her fingers, got a real good hard waft of what she was brewing up on her gums
  • This cycle repeated on more than one occasion
  • She also elbowed my wife in the ribs on three occasions, while attempting to dominate the armrest

I've honestly never seen anything like it. 

Mate that's nothing - you should try going to see a movie in Manhattan! My wife and I have given up. We tried going to a morning screening as a last resort and we had a running commentary in about 4 different languages all around us, a homeless guy cutting his toenails 4 seats down and a couple having a domestic in the back row.

Yeah, I made the mistake of an unplanned Saturday night cinema visit not too long ago. Never again - scum, scum, scum, scum. phones blaring, chatting and laughing - I wanted to eviscerate them all. 

It should be legal to take people's phones from them in a cinema screening and put them in some kind of metal mincer. 

This all said the blade runner screening i went to on Sat wasn't too bad at all. maybe, due to it being a film where the audience actually wanted to watch the film helps. 

Edited by Rodders

26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yeah, I made the mistake of an unplanned Saturday night cinema visit not too long ago. Never again - scum, scum, scum, scum. phones blaring, chatting and laughing - I wanted to eviscerate them all. 

It should be legal to take people's phones from them in a cinema screening and put them in some kind of metal mincer. 

Channel your inner Hank....(nsfw)...

Personally, if I'm going to a non-arty-farty cinema, I prefer to go to the very last screening on a Saturday night. Castlegate Dudley has films starting well after midnight, and the number of people watching is usually in low single digits, or occasionally, just me. Which is perfect - cinema quality picture and sound, and no arseholes anywhere. Even better - when watching the adverts, I take a note of all the products I will never buy under any circumstances, and then reflect on the purely wasted money it cost to show that to me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Even better - when watching the adverts, I take a note of all the products I will never buy under any circumstances, and then reflect on the purely wasted money it cost to show that to me. 

[Insert Citizen Kane Clapping GIF]

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

there is something oddly enjoyable about having the cinema to yourself, not happened to me often, i used to go when i was at uni and you had 4 hour gaps in the day between lectures, most of the time it would be 5 people max

If it's literally just you in there I wonder how inconvenient it is to the cinema these days.

Like back in the day they'd have to have a projectionist just for you. But nowadays I assume it's just the flick of a button.

If you weren't there would they still play the film to nobody?

We saw Edge of Tomorrow at the Giant Screen in Brum, paid for the fancy seats, movie starts and we noticed we were literally the only people there. Huge screen, nice seats, no distractions. Fantastic.

No wonder that place stopped showing films though.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If it's literally just you in there I wonder how inconvenient it is to the cinema these days.

Like back in the day they'd have to have a projectionist just for you. But nowadays I assume it's just the flick of a button.

If you weren't there would they still play the film to nobody?

Yes. Everything is pre-programmed onto a computer system, and most cinema's now don't have a projectionist at all, even if all you mean by a 'projectionist' is someone who checks the computer is working properly. Nowadays if anything goes wrong, you normally have to talk to someone on the concessions stand or a security guard, who will call management, who will find an IT guy to fix the problem. 

I don't really know why Castlegate show films so late when only I'm there, but I suppose the expense and inconvenience is just the electric bill and a couple of hours of a security guard's wages. 

• Like 1

Interesting to see Thor Ragnarok being slightly less well received by comic fanboys than by more general audiences. I've seen a few comic centric reviews and comments say it's good but tinged with disappointment, whereas more general comments seem to love it.

Strange. Although reviews I've seen do seem to suggest the out and out comedy of it mars the plot, and it isn't really much of a Planet Hulk movie (not that it ever was going to be), which might explain the fanboys slightly tempering their thoughts.

Â