The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 14/10/2017 at 16:37, Xela said:

Yeah it was a fresh idea back then but like you say, some awful follow ups. 

The movies it parodied (Scream,  I Know What You Did Last Summer) were fantastic movies in themselves. 

Although it kind of missed the point that Scream was a send up/parody in itself.

Baby Driver - it's cool or whatever, but it's so far up it's own bum you can see the back of Edgar Wrights teeth. 

Yes Edgar, we know you've seen 70s car chase films. 

That bit with the red cars and him swapping them about under the bridge made me sick.  The ending was particularly bad and 80s/90s action flick "back from the dead X3" bad.

Obviously Kevin Spacey wins.  Baby was a cool cat.  Jamie Fox was just really bad person Jones mk2, but still good.  The couple were pretty garbage and the deaf black bloke was a cool cat. 

A few nice ideas made it tolerable, but there was some stuff in it which didn't make me laugh with it's cheesiness, it made me annoyed at how stupid Edgar Wright assumes his audience is. 

So on that basis I've got to give it a solid ***9.5/10*** 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Baby Driver - it's cool or whatever, but it's so far up it's own bum you can see the back of Edgar Wrights teeth. 

Yes Edgar, we know you've seen 70s car chase films. 

That bit with the red cars and him swapping them about under the bridge made me sick.  The ending was particularly bad and 80s/90s action flick "back from the dead X3" bad.

Obviously Kevin Spacey wins.  Baby was a cool cat.  Jamie Fox was just really bad person Jones mk2, but still good.  The couple were pretty garbage and the deaf black bloke was a cool cat. 

A few nice ideas made it tolerable, but there was some stuff in it which didn't make me laugh with it's cheesiness, it made me annoyed at how stupid Edgar Wright assumes his audience is. 

So on that basis I've got to give it a solid ***9.5/10*** 

The best part of the film is the first 15 minutes or so.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Although it kind of missed the point that Scream was a send up/parody in itself.

A parody of a parody :)

I thought it was great anyway :D

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

This has really annoyed me.

Nothing to do with the trailer itself.

But I was listening to the news on the radio earlier. All the headlines you'd expect. Brexit, Storm Ophaelia, Somalia.

Then the final story was a mention that this trailer had been released.

WTF? How is this on the news?

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This has really annoyed me.

But I was listening to the news on the radio earlier. All the headlines you'd expect. Brexit, Storm Ophaelia, Somalia.

What annoyed me even more is just about every single news report i have heard today called it Ex-Hurricane Ophelia.

An Ex-Hurricane.....

That will be a storm then

11 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

What annoyed me even more is just about every single news report i have heard today called it Ex-Hurricane Ophelia.

An Ex-Hurricane.....

That will be a storm then

Off topic, but this is exactly the problem with "dumbing down" of news.  There will be people walking around saying "ex-hurricane" now - and that information is passed on until it becomes normal.

If the news companies are worried about people not knowing what a hurricane is, then they've failed in reporting what it is.  People are so lazy now that if they don't understand something, they tend to ignore it, so the news gets dumbed down to their level so they understand it. 

Drives me crazy. 

19 hours ago, bickster said:

Just watching Easy Rider for the first time in ages

Easy Rider

Vanishing Point

The Seven Ups

American Grafitti

There's definitely a common theme to many on my top movies list.

• Like 1

Thor: Ragnarok reviews are in. 

Generally positive, it's being described as Marvel's first out and out comedy and is apparently very funny. The criticism mostly seems to be that the film is very light, and very silly. I can't deny being somewhat disappointed to hear they've gone full bore comedy. I'd hoped they'd balance a plot with a bit more drama, simply because you can do really cool stuff with the Ragnarok plot with some weight.

Still, looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and absolutely loved it. Beautiful to look in each environment. Great pacing and good dialogue. Just one question:

Spoiler

If Niander Wallace is so desperate to get info from Deckard about the child. How come he can just walk around in town at the end of movie and doesn't need to go into hiding. I know Joe had just killed Wallace's assistant "Love" but wouldn't Wallace be able to send someone else after him?

On another not I loved that they kept PanAm and Atari adverts in the BR universe. They didn't use companies from our present times.

Overall a great nudge to consider the questions of what are we, why do we exist and how do you define consciousness and existence.

Mr. Dick would have been proud.

Edited by TheAuthority
Spellin'

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Thor: Ragnarok reviews are in. 

Generally positive, it's being described as Marvel's first out and out comedy and is apparently very funny. The criticism mostly seems to be that the film is very light, and very silly. I can't deny being somewhat disappointed to hear they've gone full bore comedy. I'd hoped they'd balance a plot with a bit more drama, simply because you can do really cool stuff with the Ragnarok plot with some weight.

Still, looking forward to it.

Saw the trailer before BladeRunner along with the trailer for "Geostorm"

Couldn't decide which one looked worse.

23 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and absolutely loved it. Beautiful to look in each environment. Great pacing and good dialogue. Just one question:

Hide contents

If Niander Wallace is so desperate to get info from Deckard about the child. How come he can just walk around in town at the end of movie and doesn't need to go into hiding. I know Joe had just killed Wallace's assistant "Love" but wouldn't Wallace be able to send someone else after him?

On another not I loved that they kept PanAm and Atari adverts in the BR universe. They didn't use companies from our present times.

Overall a great nudge to consider the questions of what are we, why do we exist and how do you define consciousness and existence.

Mr. Dick would have been proud.

Spoiler

I think the assumption was that Wallace would think Deckard had drowned in that crash/fight near the end. He wouldn't be being hunted because he's assumed dead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:
  Hide contents

I think the assumption was that Wallace would think Deckard had drowned in that crash/fight near the end. He wouldn't be being hunted because he's assumed dead.

Spoiler

I just thought with all the tech around he would be trackable in some way - but that makes sense :thumb:

Â