The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So, the Dark Tower.  I read the books as a kid and as the last ones came out I revisited them as an adult.    There are 9 books, written over 30 years so the source material is epic in scope (double the material Game of Thrones has been based on as an example).  I enjoyed the books, I don't love them, but I liked them enough to read them all which is compliment enough I feel. 

The movie runs for 95 minutes and treats the source material much like how I treat chewing gum.  It got chewed up, spat out and left a vague memory of the flavor whilst providing no sustenance or substance at all.  It's not so much that it disrespects the source, it's that it tries to take on such a huge amount of story without explaining anything very much at all.  Even watching the movie as someone who understands the characters and the context of the worlds the movie does not hang together at all.  It is confused, shallow, all over the place and the ending is beyond crap.

The sad thing is that Idris and Matt are two of my fav actors, I'll watch anything with them in so when I saw the posters I was so excited to see what they came up with.  The problem is that even if you ignore how far removed the story is from the books the film does not work on its own merits at all.  I don't see how anyone that has not read the books can have any hope to get what is going on and those that know can see a nuanced and complex hero in the Gunslinger reduced to something akin to James McAvoy  in Wanted.  Unsatisfying in almost every way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

The Visit ......shite

Respectfully, I disagree. I thought it was creepy and interesting and the kid actors were great.

Interestingly I watched a movie the other night with the same two kid actors called "Better Watch Out". if you like your Christmas movies dark and disgusting then I would check it out.

Baby Driver

I really enjoyed the film and especially the soundtrack. It wasn't an original story by any means but it was cleverly done with the music matching each scene of the movie. The acting was very good too, especially Jamie Foxx. I love the guy and he made me really hate him in the movie. The film is so well produced/directed. Loved the scene with the coffee run at the beginning of the movie.

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Loved the scene with the coffee run at the beginning of the movie.

That scene made my heart stop with terror, because at that point I thought I'd brought 2 mates to watch a f**king musical.  I'd have honestly walked out had it continued in that vein.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

I see The Snowman getting absolutely panned :) I shan't bother so.

I can't take that film seriously.

When I first saw the trailer I genuinely thought it was a parody. It's clearly supposed to be creepy or something but it's so silly and played so straight you can help but snigger. Serial killer turns people into snowmen. Cops run around with completely straight faces saying things like 'they've found another, sir. Another snowman'.

It's **** daft.

How is this a based on a bestseller?!

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That scene made my heart stop with terror, because at that point I thought I'd brought 2 mates to watch a f**king musical.  I'd have honestly walked out had it continued in that vein.

yep , that was the point I started putting my shoes back on  , ready to leave  .. thankfully I got distracted  by my pick n mix and saw it past that scene

• Haha 1

My friend is on a drunken evening boat trip this evening so i tried to be funny and send him a meme of a boat related horror film but I've bloody forgot the title of the film and its been doing my nut in all day. 

I thought it was something 'creak' and i thought it had Jack Nicholson in it, but imbd didn't help. 

Any ideas? Its doing my nut in. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

My friend is on a drunken evening boat trip this evening so i tried to be funny and send him a meme of a boat related horror film but I've bloody forgot the title of the film and its been doing my nut in all day. 

I thought it was something 'creak' and i thought it had Jack Nicholson in it, but imbd didn't help. 

Any ideas? Its doing my nut in. 

There's 2 main ones.

Dead Calm with Sam Neill and a young Nicole Kidman with Billy Zane as the nutter

Or Cape Fear with Nick Bolte and Jessica Lange with Jack Nicholson as the nutter

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yep , that was the point I started putting my shoes back on  , ready to leave  .. thankfully I got distracted  by my pick n mix and saw it past that scene

...You take your shoes off in the cinema? I can look past our political differences, but this is a step too far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

...You take your shoes off in the cinema? I can look past our political differences, but this is a step too far.

It’s a showcase cinema with reclining seats and everything , it would seem rude to put my shoes on someone’s sofa , so I take them off .... I do the same when flying but always with socks only a heathen would go bare footed 

Â