The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Thor was fun. Opening was not encouraging, with some very naff humour that made me worry but after those 10 minutes it picked up and was good fun, Certainly as good as it's predecessors at any rate. Definitely think some of the scenes shouldn't have gone in the trailer. The Hulk's arrival would have been far more fun then.

Happy Death Day last night

bit of a Scooby doo type villain moment in the reveal  , .. could have done with it being a bit scarier  and in light of part of the story involving living with no consequences a bit more action involving a tube of KY gel and the other girls in the house   ... but it was  Inoffensive enough and good fun    ....I've seen worse this year 

The cure for wellness.

A nice and kooky film about a swiss retreat where rich business folk go for treatment but no one leaves. 

A little like stonehurst asylum, with shades of both the shining and stepford wives it had a decent concept, and whilst not scary it was very enjoyable and worth a watch.

• Like 2

Finally caught IT last night, as expected i really enjoyed it.

It's quite weird watching alongside Stranger Things which it definitely seems to have borrowed a few things from. Its as much a coming of age story as a horror film, for me i would have slightly ramped up the horror aspect of it but then again i am a fan of the horror genre and with so many films missing the mark these days this film was so close to being a horror classic but i can;t mark it down for that as it was clearly intended that way.

After the also impressive Mama this is a director to watch and I'm already anticipating the 2nd part due in 2019.

8/10 for me.

• Like 1

Also watched IT (2017) last night, not a bad movie at all.

More funny moments than scary moments. They didn't quite manage to get the atmosphere 100% right but a few effective jump scares. Think the casting was very good.

I have to re-watch the original movie, but from memory IT was scarier. Then again I was a kid when I first saw IT.

Death of Stalin  - Ianucci is on form again, with the absurdist comedy full of scheming plotters.  The trailer is a bit disingenuous as it's not as funny as In the Loop, as it tries to balance the comic with the dark more finely and largely I think it does do that well, though Jason Isaacs has the best lines. Cast are universally superb from Paddy Considine's terrified theatre bod through to the (particularly) repellent Baria - (Simon Russell Beale).

• Like 1

Death of Stalin for me tonight as well

as a film I enjoyed it , kinda as rodders said a few posts above

but the history buff in my sorta dislikes some of the liberties taken Zhukov wasn’t head of the army etc ... yeah I know it’s a comedy first and foremost but it still niggles

enjoyable film though all said and done

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just watched jigsaw.

as a big fan of the saw series have to say this was not the best effort

The first Saw was great. 

They were all shit after that. 

I say all, I only watched up to 3 but I can’t imagine they got any better after that. 

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The first Saw was great. 

They were all shit after that. 

I say all, I only watched up to 3 but I can’t imagine they got any better after that. 

Agreed about the first, 2 and 3 were ok, 4 and 5 were shit. 6 was ok. 7 was great and probably should have ended there as this one was disappointing and no where near as good.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Agreed about the first, 2 and 3 were ok, 4 and 5 were shit. 6 was ok. 7 was great and probably should have ended there as this one was disappointing and no where near as good.

2 is up there with one of the shittest horror films I've ever seen.

It was dreadful. 

Â