The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think District 9 was even that good. 

Chappy was wank.

District 9 was great I thought, everything else he has done since has been turd though, as others have said, maybe he just fluked it.

Attempted suicide squad earlier, got to about 45 mins in, Christ on a bike it's dull, so bloody dull.

Its a masterclass in how not to make a comic book film, you jut don't give a damn about anyone or anything that's happening. Worse than batman v super man for me. Jared Letos joker was probably the best thing in it (for the whole 3 minutes of screen time he had up to the point I stopped watching)

Edited by AVFCDAN

39 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Attempted suicide squad earlier, got to about 45 mins in, Christ on a bike it's dull, so bloody dull.

Its a masterclass in how not to make a comic book film, you jut don't give a damn about anyone or anything that's happening. Worse than batman v super man for me. Jared Letos joker was probably the best thing in it (for the whole 3 minutes of screen time he had up to the point I stopped watching)

Christ, you just terrified me! I'd forgotten what thread I was in and I misread your first four words. 

:lol: seriously, my heart was racing.

• Like 4

Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Really enjoyed it. Think they went for a bit more comic relief than the first, especially with Drax who was far more developed than the first.

Still struggle to see how the tie in with the rest of the marvel films at present.

As for the "baddie" I thought 

Spoiler

A) Ego was a larger version of the baddie in Dr Strange 

b> I kept thinking of one of the feature episodes of Futurama where the planet wants to make love to everyone. Obviously very different but got me thinking of it weirdly.

Didn't like Stan Lee cameo, although now reading the Easter eggs it makes more sense. But a non comic reader like me is in the dark about that 

Alien Covenant was better than I thought it would be but a lot worse than I hoped it would be, if that makes sense. As a standalone film it's decent but in terms of following on from Prometheus and telling an interesting story: 

Spoiler

It couldn't have taken a lazier route story-wise. How were the aliens made? Oh David did it, don't worry about the details.

Zero background on the Engineers as well, which I thought was the most interesting question posed in Prometheus. Going to their home planet and then immediately killing them off was a massive cop out in my opinion. No explanation of their motivations, history etc. The most disappointing aspect of the film IMO.

On the plus side - Kenny **** Powers in space!

can't be bothered watching suicide squad really. appears to me like just another formulaic superhero movie that fell short on expectations that were probably too high to begin with. As for the buzzwords "dark" and "gritty", shiiiiiet it's overused these days. If you want a superhero movie that truly holds up to those words watch Dredd from 2012. One of the few superhero movies that actually holds true on its premises and is bloody fantastically executed. We get 5+ bloody X-Men movies, but not a sequel for this? deplorable! *exeunt stage right after rant aside*

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

can't be bothered watching suicide squad really. appears to me like just another formulaic superhero movie that fell short on expectations that were probably too high to begin with. As for the buzzwords "dark" and "gritty", shiiiiiet it's overused these days. If you want a superhero movie that truly holds up to those words watch Dredd from 2012. One of the few superhero movies that actually holds true on its premises and is bloody fantastically executed. We get 5+ bloody X-Men movies, but not a sequel for this? deplorable! *exeunt stage right after rant aside*

On Dredd - we are getting a series at least! That maybe better in the long run.

• Like 1

Universal have finally made their classic movie monsters cinematic universe official.

They're calling it the Dark Universe (...That's the best they could do?) and it will officially kick off with the Mummy in the next couple of weeks. It looks like the Dracula movie they did 3 years back which was rumoured to be the kicking this thing of has been quietly shoved aside, since while they were at it they announced a bunch of casting...

Johnny Drop is the Invisible Man!

Javier Bardem is Frankenstein's Monster!

This casting sounds shit!

Any bets on who is the Wolfman? Dracula? Creature from the Black Lagoon?

Possible spoilers for the Mummy...

Spoiler

My money would be on Cruise being revealed as the Wolfman in the Mummy.

Actual spoilers for the Mummy

Spoiler

Russell Crowe is Dr Jekyll.

Lifespan on this? 2 flops? 3?

20 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Having to fumigate my living room to get rid of the stench from The Magnificent Seven remake.

Jeez, what a pile of cack. 

Ha, I watched that on a recent flight and didn't think it was that bad! Must have been the sleeping tablets :D

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Universal have finally made their classic movie monsters cinematic universe official.

They're calling it the Dark Universe (...That's the best they could do?) and it will officially kick off with the Mummy in the next couple of weeks. It looks like the Dracula movie they did 3 years back which was rumoured to be the kicking this thing of has been quietly shoved aside, since while they were at it they announced a bunch of casting...

Hide contents

Hide contents

The whole project is cinematic blasphemy to me.

I've been a huge fan of the original movies since I was a kid and they will always have a special place in my movie education. I pretty much know them all inside out (similar to most of the Hammer output) and so I'll be incredibly dubious of any pale imitation.

The trailer for the Mummy looks exactly like the overproduced, shiny style id hoped they would avoid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The whole project is cinematic blasphemy to me.

I've been a huge fan of the original movies since I was a kid and they will always have a special place in my movie education. I pretty much know them all inside out (similar to most of the Hammer output) and so I'll be incredibly dubious of any pale imitation.

The trailer for the Mummy looks exactly like the overproduced, shiny style id hoped they would avoid.

I don't hold them in the same reverence - I love the characters and ideas but I don't hold the movies themselves in any place in my heart.

I like the idea of the classic movie monsters being in the same universe, and I like the idea of modern effects to bring it all to life.

But I don't think they translate to modern day particularly well, and I don't have much faith in Universal making it work, especially since that casting reeks of having big names who might be past their best.

Set it in a Victorian-esque era, lean more heavily into making them horror-ish, cast largely up and coming or unfashionable actors...

Instead they've gone for 12 rated actioners. Because that ticks the boxes. I'll watch them but don't expect much. I fully expect the universe to fail.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Saw the trailer for Mummy. Looks awful. 

Is it anything to do with the Brendan Fraser Mumny films?

I liked the Brendan Fraser Mummy. It didnt take itself serious and was a great watch.

This one looks like it wont have a laugh in it, Tom Cruise can do that to a movie

Zach Snyder is stepping away from finishing up Justice League, which is due to include some reshoots this summer, after the suicide of his daughter. Joss Whedon is going to take over.

Â