The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

45 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Fast and Furious 34 just smashed box office records? WWWWH? 

Yup:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/fate-furious-biggest-global-box-10238316

The Fate Of The Furious has had the biggest global box office debut of all time.

Earning $532.5million in its opening weekend, it's beat the likes of Star Wars : The Force Awakens - which got $529million - and Jurassic World 's $316.7million. 

• Like 1

Just now, StanBalaban said:

I thought he was good in Boiler Room too.

You know, I'd completely forgotten he was in that :)

I saw it years ago and only remember Ribisi being a stand out.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Crank must rate as one of the worse films ever made

Crank is absolute genius. 

The sequel was, admittedly, shit. But the first one, while very far from perfect, has essentially the best action movie plotline that could ever exist. It is the pure, distilled essence of action, as a genre. 

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

You know, I'd completely forgotten he was in that :)

I saw it years ago and only remember Ribisi being a stand out.

Yeah Ribisi was great and Vin played quite a mellow character. Plus Affleck got to have his own Glengarry Glen Ross moment too.

FYI, the guy that ruined that prisoner transportation scene in the Dark Knight ("that's not good.....okay that's really not good" SWAT guy) played Ribisi's slimy / jealous mentor at the broker firm.

Edited by StanBalaban

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

He's one of the main characters in one of the industry's hottest franchises, the newest film of which just smashed box office records, he's also in Guardians of the Galaxy and therefore the massively popular MCU franchise and they've just rebooted an old franchise of his to ride on the back of his success with Fast and Furious and you think his star is waning?

Granted he's not the best actor and I don't think he even pretends to think he is, but it's a bit of a bizarre statement to make given his current success, don't you think?

I like him. He knows what he is and he comes across as a nice guy (and he's a massive geek which is always fun). Fair play to him.

I do yeah...

10 years back he was in saving private Ryan, F&F, riddick, xxx, man apart etc he was touted as the next big action star, then people realised he couldn't actually act and he's done very little, GotG he's a tree with 1 line...

since saving private Ryan in 98 he's done 28 films,16 of which are F&F, riddick, xxx and GotG, statham has done 40, the rock has done 35, tom hardy has done 34 films and 16 tv shows

I think you look at F&F they've stuck the rock in there the franchise doubled the takings between 4 and 5, they've now stuck statham in there too and Charlize Theron, so back to the original question, do you think theyd have stuck a bigger / better actor in from the start if they'd have known what a huge success it would be?

28 minutes ago, colhint said:

I took my son to see the new F&F his choice not mine. First one I've seen. I'd like to say it was really good. But I'd be lying through my arse, what a pile of shite

It is absolute shite but the three of us laughed more in those two hours than in 99% of comedy films.  I'd seen the first three Fast and Furious but missed the next four.  The Rock seems massive compared to his wrestling days but I guess in Hollywood he's among more human-sized people so looks bigger.

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It is absolute shite but the three of us laughed more in those two hours than in 99% of comedy films.  I'd seen the first three Fast and Furious but missed the next four.  The Rock seems massive compared to his wrestling days but I guess in Hollywood he's among more human-sized people so looks bigger.

Hollywood probably doesn't also have the same drug use policy ;) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

because hes a piss poor actor

he's hardly cast in anything else now (other than groot and them for some reason thinking it was a good idea to reboot xXx) his star has pretty much gone out, cant think of another example of a huge movie franchise with such a low key lead actor (or actors tbf because paul walker wasnt doing much better)

agreed he's not a great actor... but:

7x Fast & Furious films

4x Riddick films (inc the new one announced)

2x Guardian of the Galaxy

2x XXX

2x The Last Witchhunter (including the one in production)

He's got some decent franchises where he is the star.

Â