The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

T2 tonight

As sequels go it was good , I liked that you got to see how life panned out for the original cast ... i bumped into someone in the Aston social last night who I'd not seen for 20 years and it was almost that seem thing where you can just pickup  as if it has been a few minutes ... though obviously we didn't go at each other with pool cues :)

enjoybale film and well acted 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

T2 tonight

As sequels go it was good , I liked that you got to see how life panned out for the original cast ... i bumped into someone in the Aston social last night who I'd not seen for 20 years and it was almost that seem thing where you can just pickup  as if it has been a few minutes ... though obviously we didn't go at each other with pool cues :)

enjoybale film and well acted 

It sacrificed story for nostalgia if you ask me

How many nod's to the original do the need to make, the reason I'm watching Trainspotting 2 is because I enjoyed trainspotting 1, I don't need a shot for shot remake. 

The book was extremely dark and I wanted the film to go to those places but it never did.

I thought the choose life speech and the scene when sickboy and Renton become pals again were great, it felt like those scenes were made for fans of the first film who had aged 20 years,  the rest of the film was made for fans who wanted to forget that they had aged 20 years. 

And we get it, you are gunna play lust for life at some point 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I got all the way to "pool cues" before I realised you were talking about Trainspotting and not Terminator :crylaugh: 

Are you sure Arnie didn't walk into the bar at the beginning and  said "give me your cue, your chalk and the eight ball" before riding off on a Honda melody? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Are you sure Arnie didn't walk into the bar at the beginning and  said "give me your cue, your chalk and the eight ball" before riding off on a Honda melody?

We both have Homer's photographic memory :thumb:

MIYNxB3.jpg

• Like 4

This looks rather promising if you like me are into old school horror movies in the spirit of Fulci and Carpenter.

(Might not wan't to view the trailer if you're very young or don't like graphic scenes)

• Like 2

Caught this on BBC4 last night

313662-notes-on-blindness-0-230-0-345-cr

it was rather good, although very different.
For those not aware it's a guy who, in real life, went blind. After the process he recorded some audio diaries on cassette about his experiences during and after the process.

The film is basically the audio of those notes made into film. So the dialogue on the film is almost entirely (or maybe even entirely) the original recordings, and the actors just mime.

So it's quite beautiful. it's not really a film in the traditional sense. There's not really a plot, there's not really an ending. It is, as the title suggests, just "notes" with pictures set to it.

But it's very moving, is well shot and the sound especially is incredible (not just the dialogue).

Would recommend as something different. I imagine it's on the iPlayer

Edited by Stevo985

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hadn't seen this before but heard good things. Wasn't disappointed. Excellent performances all round. 8/10

History_of_violence.jpg

Such a brilliant movie.

I watched the extras on the DVD and the level of research Mortensen did for the accent alone was incredible.

• Like 1

John Wick Chapter 2 is a fantastic slice of violence.

Builds on things only teased in the first film, and has some spectacular action, it's gorgeous and frenetic and brilliant. My only criticisms are the opening act is such a high bar opening the film struggles a little to maintain the standard, and Wick's fighting style wears a little thin by the end (believe me when I say you'll be tired of one of his moves by the end, he does it about 4 times in every fight...). But that's nitpicking. It's great.

• Like 3

Logan reviews are in.

It's supposedly bloody good. Very good reviews across the board, main criticism seemingly it being slightly too long and the third act having a wobble. But otherwise it seems to be a violent, comic book western with heart. A few calling it the best X-Men film.

I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2

watched mark kermode gush over it yesterday, watched it about a month ago, knew it was meant to be good but the English media hadn't reviewed it, the reviews I've seen have a fair few critics saying it's better than la la land, I think its 2nd to boyhood as the highest rated film of the 21st century on metacritic

did absolutely nothing for me, ticked the arty farty boring box, a film where actors expressions are worth as much as what they say...there's a couple of good shots in it, some good acting but overall the only stuff I actually found interesting was the scenes with his mom

makes it sound like I want to very film to be john wick, I don't, I do like dramas and good story driven films but la la land and moonlight bored me

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Sign of confidence that they've let reviews come out 2 weeks before release, definitely sounds like it's nailed it

Indeed. It basically sounds like Jackman has just been allowed to play Wolverine how he wanted without having to worry about a 12 certificate. It's supposedly very violent and dark, but also heartfelt. It seems like there's going to be a few comparisons to the Dark Knight insofar as it's not really what people think of as a comic book movie.

Â