The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think there's some story about Michael Caine being in a terrible movie, and being asked why he did it, and saying something like 'I've never seen it, but I've seen the conservatory it bought'. 

That would be Jaws : The Revenge.

"I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

And yes, Jaws The Revenge is truly absolutely terrible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

There's also the tale about him reading the script, seeing 'OPENING SHOT: THE BAHAMAS' and saying 'yes, that'll do' :D

Sticking to Jaws-related trivia for a moment, while most people know by now that "You're gonna need a bigger boat" was ad-libbed by Roy Scheider, what they don't know is that "you're gonna need a bigger boat" had been a running joke on set all through filming with the crew before they filmed that scene, so he just slipped it in almost as a joke.

Just now, BOF said:

Sticking to Jaws-related trivia for a moment, while most people know by now that "You're gonna need a bigger boat" was ad-libbed by Roy Scheider, what they don't know is that "you're gonna need a bigger boat" had been a running joke on set all through filming with the crew before they filmed that scene, so he just slipped it in almost as a joke.

Oh man, in all seriousness I could write a dissertation on Jaws :) The amount of useless facts and trivia i've gathered over the years is ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Oh man, in all seriousness I could write a dissertation on Jaws :) The amount of useless facts and trivia i've gathered over the years is ridiculous.

Well I'm all ears if you're ever of a mind to put some of it in here :)  I imagine it's on many people's favourites list.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2017 at 03:08, HanoiVillan said:

I've just re-watched 'The Insider' for what may be the 5th or 6th time. Every few years I have a powerful desire, and I woke up with it this morning, to watch that movie. 

I don't necessarily know that it's 'the best movie', but it's the main movie I need to go back and re-watch and I get so much out of it every time. I honestly think it's perfect. 

I'm not sure I have ever seen it. Will have to check it out

Vanilla Sky is my 'go to' film every couple of years. Absolutely love it, although appreciate its not everyones cup of tea. 

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

A top five would be a good start :)

Watched a few over the past week or so. 

Whiplash - Solid film, JK Simmons was excellent,  he made it genuinely uncomfortable to watch in parts. 7/10

Sing Street - Enjoyable enough but I thought they really missed out on the by underplaying the grittiness of the setting, would've been more interesting than the happily ever after it seemed to prefer. 6/10

Big Short - Maybe a bit over-technical, couldn't work out if the cutaways to actors explaining the situation in Lehman's terms was either corny or really quite good. Thought Steve Carrell was brilliant. 7/10

Ex Machina - One of the best films I've seen in a long while, found it totally enthralling throughout. 9/10 

• Like 4

On 2/20/2017 at 07:03, sne said:

Assassin's Creed was rather poor.

Poor Mr Fassbender, boy did he try but the movie was just bad.

Is that a simpsons quote?, It sounds like a Simpsons quote

@sne

Found it! God bless the internet. FWIW its not even close but at least I now know what I was thinking about:

Lisa watches "The Postman" on a big screen TV.

Lisa:    Ooh, I hear this really sucks.
         [she presses a button for director's commentary and Kevin Costner
         appears in a split screen]
Costner: I'm sorry.  I am really sorry.  Ugh, ah, I don't know what I was
         thinking, but "Field of Dreams" was good, wasn't it?  Made us all
         believe again.
Lisa:    Oh, poor Mr. Costner.  He tries so hard.
Costner: Aw, thanks, you're sweet to say that.
Lisa:    Uh ... where are you?
Costner: [steps out from behind the TV] I'm back here.  Hi, will you bring me
         a sandwich?  Please?  No, no crusts.
-- "Monty Can't Buy Me Love"

Edited by TheMelvillan
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Is that a simpsons quote?, It sounds like a Simpsons quote

Haha no I don't think so.

But I have watched a lot of Simpsons in my day so I guess it could well be.

19 hours ago, Milfner said:

Watched a few over the past week or so. 

Whiplash - Solid film, JK Simmons was excellent,  he made it genuinely uncomfortable to watch in parts. 7/10

Sing Street - Enjoyable enough but I thought they really missed out on the by underplaying the grittiness of the setting, would've been more interesting than the happily ever after it seemed to prefer. 6/10

Big Short - Maybe a bit over-technical, couldn't work out if the cutaways to actors explaining the situation in Lehman's terms was either corny or really quite good. Thought Steve Carrell was brilliant. 7/10

Ex Machina - One of the best films I've seen in a long while, found it totally enthralling throughout. 9/10 

Ex Machina was excellent

I used my four-year old daughter as an excuse to go to the cinema to watch Lego Batman. She was reluctant as there weren't any princesses in it but I dragged her along anyway. 

It wasn't as good as the Lego Movie (one of the funniest films of the past few years IMO) and was a bit of an assault on the senses at times but it was still very, very funny and better than 90% of supposed 'comedies'. Recommended. 

Edited by JB

Hacksaw Ridge tonight ... hadn't seen any reviews on this and assumed it was "just another war film" ...once I got it out my head the lead role was Andy Murray and sat back and enjoyed the film , I have to say it was pretty darn good.

the basic premise on the training and platoon not liking him has been done countless times and the film ran the risk of being a bit of a stereotype , even if true , but then along came the battle scenes to take it all the way up to 11 

best film of the year so far ... might actually be hard to top it unless they make "Beach Volleyball detectives 3 "

• Like 1

i thought the only thing the battle scenes turned up to 11 was the cheese...

Spoiler

there are 2 moments that i can think of straight off the top of my head

first theres dead looking bloke who gets approached, he sits up and screams, the other guy screams, he then gets shot in the head with blood spraying all over his face before he gets shot in the head too

then theres the bit where the bloke who's the "baddie" in the training camp but he's the best soldier and therefore gets the big boy gun picks up half a body to use as a shield and runs at the enemy shooting everyone with his big gun

**** me

then you throw in some poor casting, garfield is just about ok, vince vaughn on the other hand was horrific, its not as good as it could be, probably 6/10

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i thought the only thing the battle scenes turned up to 11 was the cheese...

Hide contents

there are 2 moments that i can think of straight off the top of my head

first theres dead looking bloke who gets approached, he sits up and screams, the other guy screams, he then gets shot in the head with blood spraying all over his face before he gets shot in the head too

then theres the bit where the bloke who's the "baddie" in the training camp but he's the best soldier and therefore gets the big boy gun picks up half a body to use as a shield and runs at the enemy shooting everyone with his big gun

**** me

then you throw in some poor casting, garfield is just about ok, vince vaughn on the other hand was horrific, its not as good as it could be, probably 6/10

6 ??? You monster!  I agree about Vaughn, although I do think he was about as unannoying as it's possible for Vaughn to be.  It's way above a 6 IMHO though.

Â