The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, hogso said:

but isn't Warcraft held in relatively high-ish regard (from non fan boys)?

Well, I could probably be regarded as a 'fan boy' (I **** hate that tag btw) but I thought the Warcraft movie was enjoyable enough. Certainly up there with the better adaptations.

It really suffered with poor 'human' characters though. The Orc side of the story was way better done.

If they ever managed to get to the stage where they did a Warcraft movie based around the Arthas / Lich King story I would probably (no definitely) lose my shit :D

Yep, that's the one Ginko. So good.  Turn the lights off and have no distracting sounds around!

On video game films I've not watched many but AC was a disappointment. Such a mess. I did quite like the tomb raider films though when they came out. Not great but entertaining tv film fare I thought. 

• Like 1

Do some of you still buy DVD/Bluray discs?  I know some people like having a physical library that they can finger through (ooo err).  I know people for example who still insist on buying their music on CD, sometimes because of the collectible packaging, or just for owning the physical original etc (no fear of deletion).  Or have you all done away with that?

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Do some of you still buy DVD/Bluray discs?  I know some people like having a physical library that they can finger through (ooo err).  I know people for example who still insist on buying their music on CD, sometimes because of the collectible packaging, or just for owning the physical original etc (no fear of deletion).  Or have you all done away with that?

Loads.

I don't think I have any digital movies apart from the copies that you get with the Blu ray sometimes, and i've never bothered with them.

I obviously use Amazon Prime and Netflix etc for streaming but I just don't see the point of buying digital copies.

During my VHS days, I had over 3,000 movies :D

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

Yep I'll still buy DVDs and CDs now and then, mainly as I want the physical item as part of my collection. Particularly with TV shows, I couldn't have 4 seasons of Breaking Bad and not have the final one. 

I will give the extras a try too, just to see if there's anything of interest on there.

57 minutes ago, BOF said:

I genuinely don't know what I'm doing anymore, the future scares me.

• Like 1

DVDs are still the main way I see films along with cinema. Use netflix for tv shows but otherwise I don't enjoy streaming. I'll recycle some of the films at CEX happily but I do have a bit of the collecting gene for favourite films. Also I do like seeing libraries of films (or shows or books ) at home. I always ensure I've got plenty of options I haven't seen yet.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

It's all part of the collection isn't it? I've probably got a couple of thousand blu-rays and dvds now. A small percentage of them will get a second or third viewing but I've lost track of the number of times I've stayed up til the wee small hours to watch a film on telly that is sitting above the tv on a shelf.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I've got all the old DVDs and BluRays I've bought over the years but everything I buy now is electronic via Google Play Movies. If I want something on I just tap my phone. Awesome.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I still buy blu-rays. Streaming doesn't match picture or audio quality yet, and I like having a collection, and I know I can 'always' access them and aren't at the whims of Netflix's deals etc.

Surely a stream is a stream whether it's from a disc or an internet source? Are the 4k streams any lower bit rates than a BluRay disc?

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't own any physical media anymore. All my movies / tv series / music / books are digital. 

I still have books and CD's but they are stored away in the Xela family storage container. 

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Surely a stream is a stream whether it's from a disc or an internet source? Are the 4k streams any lower bit rates than a BluRay disc?

I believe it's fairly common knowledge that streaming services do lag behind physical media in many ways as far as quality goes. Many people wouldn't notice, and in some areas it's quite subtle, but I'd rather have the best and get to keep a physical collection.

• Like 1

Watched the 5 minute long alien covenant prologue

its going to be shit, it's trying so hard

also in a serious question way rather than trying to offend anyone *sigh* if you were sending a load of couples off on a space ship to a far away planet to colonise it (the covenant) would you send 2 gay men? Don't know if it was the way the reveal in the prologue was so badly written or if it was so uneccesarily blatant, it adds absolutely nothing to the scene, it's a real look at how modern and current we're trying to be thing that I can't get my head round, trying my hardest not to sound homophobic here...it's just a really bad scene that bugged me

and that's before the awful choking scene

It'll be shit because Alien has basically become defined by its own tropes. So there'll be the chestburster scene, and there'll be the facehugger scene, etc etc. Prometheus was partly criticised for not being enough of an Alien film (and mostly because it was a stupid movie). So this'll go the other way.

I'm guessing the colonization is partly going to be described as 'unnatural' so the ship will be full of eggs or whatever, and therefore the crew has been picked to be a cross section of society, including homosexually.

Whatever the case, it's guaranteed to disappoint. But it'll be gorgeous because that's what Ridley Scott does. Although saying that some of the editing in that clip is awful.

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I believe it's fairly common knowledge that streaming services do lag behind physical media in many ways as far as quality goes. Many people wouldn't notice, and in some areas it's quite subtle, but I'd rather have the best and get to keep a physical collection.

It might be but I'm wondering about the bitrate. If both are the same then it's the same quality. Data being read from a BD disc is a digital data stream exactly the same as it comes over an http transport. Just had a look to satisfy my curiosity. BD is max 40Mbps and average around 20Mbps while Netflix 4k is a constant of around 16Mbps so they're pretty similar.

Â