The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 2/9/2017 at 10:33, BOF said:

Dark Shadows.  If you're not a fan of Tim Burton don't bother  If you are a fan of Tim Burton, still don't bother.  I only watched it because of Eva Green, although Bella Heathcote is quite lovely too :) It's Johnny Depp in standard quirky mode.  How does he keep getting away with it.

turned it off after 30 minutes was horrible

• Like 2

Lego Batman Movie was great. Very funny, lots of gags at the dafter elements of Batman from the comics and movies, and other comic properties, and takes a fairly clever idea to drive the plot (which I think isn't 100% original but might have been used more subtly in past comic runs). Galifinakis is a very good Joker and this might extend the number of movies I can stand Michael Cera in to 2. You can barely tell it's him as Dick Grayson.

Probably works better as a movie for adults than children strangely. An awful lot of the jokes are aimed directly at adults who will remember older movies, other gags have a very adult subtlety to them - I can't think many kids are going to smirk at a long scene of Batman microwaving his dinner, or understand the jokes about Batman's life that the film revolves around. But for all that, really enjoyable and probably the best Batman Movie we've had in 10 years or so.

Watched Midnight Special last night.

Scores a 6.7 on IMDB

Feel as if i have wasted 2 hours of my life. Not my bag. Watch if you are struggling to get some sleep.

A father and son go on the run, pursued by the government and a cult drawn to the child's special powers.

Director:

Jeff Nichols

Writer:

Jeff Nichols

Trainspotting 2 was very good.  8.5/10.

Hacksaw Ridge another 8.5/10 for me.  Hats off to Gibbo.  He can direct.

Doctor Strange is a 6/10 for me.  Not my cup of tea and I expect a lot went over my head, so in the end it was very meh.

Creed.  I'll be kind and say 6.5.  It's exactly what you'd expect, if you're not expecting much.

Paterson is very slow and thoughtful. Enjoyed it a lot but had to research someone it frequently mentions to get to grips with it.

20th Century Women is a great coming of age tale which strays into quirkiness now and again. Annete Bening is a boss and it has a bostin' soundtrack.

Watched Grudge match last night

few hat tips to Rocky in it , an ending that was as predictable as it came ( another hat tip to Rocky :) )  ...and yet I quite liked it ... def one for a lazy Sunday evening

the post credit scene with Tyson  :D

Although I agree with comments that the Lego Batman Movie was a little long, I would still say it's definitely in the top 5 of Batman movies, and possibly top 3. I say possibly cos I remember liking Batman '89, but I could do with re-watching it as I haven't seen it in yonks. The inclusion of a myriad of villians from all sorts of places was a massive positive for me, and of course, something we would never, ever see in any other movie.

Hacksaw Ridge - Just gunna go ahead and give it cheese out of 10. Meh. 

Nocturnal Animals - I quite like ambiguous films, but this one was lost on me. 

Blair Witch - Was funny in places that weren't supposed to be funny, kinda enjoyed it in a weird way.

A street cat named bob - Nice for a true story, though incredibly cheese in places.

Â