The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Which is why movies are so wonderfully subjective. Just because he didn't enjoy it as much as you or as much as the critics (or me for that matter) there is really no need for the condescending post.

One man's meat and all that...

Wasn't meant to be condescending. @Meath_Villan's movie reviews are generally so contrary I suspect they are done that way on purpose. Everyone can have their own opinion, obviously, and they make actually dislike everything that everyone else likes and vice versa. 

• Like 1

Finally Did Lincoln and 12 years a slave this week after having them on my sky box for some months

Lincoln was an interesting insight into the emancipation vote (I've not checked the film against the historical facts ) if there has ever been better actor than Daniel Day Lewis then I've yet to see them

12 years a Slave was a tough watch its staggering that people could treat fellow humans that way but of course we know that they are more than capable of it ....film moved at a good pace and was never boring even though it had potential to be 

wished I'd watched both films sooner 

• Like 1

I saw both at the cinema and I've never watched them again, from what I can remember I thought Lincoln was a bit boring and if you took DDL out of it then it would probably be considered a pretty average film 

12 years a slave I really enjoyed, agree there's some pretty brutal stuff in there, some really good performances and iirc some good arty shots of trees blowing in the wind, need to watch that one again 

Love & Mercy last night. It's the story of Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys.

I love these types of films where I learn some part of musical history.

Paul Dano brilliant as ever as a young Brian Wilson. Dano seems to have put on a bit of weight in order to look exactly like Wilson.

John Cusack with a very mature performance as the aging Wilson being trapped by his psychiatrist.

All set against awesome Beach Boys music.

8/10 great but the scope was a bit too narrow. It focuses on 2 short time periods and i would have liked a little bit more back story.

• Like 3

Dark Shadows.  If you're not a fan of Tim Burton don't bother  If you are a fan of Tim Burton, still don't bother.  I only watched it because of Eva Green, although Bella Heathcote is quite lovely too :) It's Johnny Depp in standard quirky mode.  How does he keep getting away with it.

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

Dark Shadows.  If you're not a fan of Tim Burton don't bother  If you are a fan of Tim Burton, still don't bother.  I only watched it because of Eva Green, although Bella Heathcote is quite lovely too :) It's Johnny Depp in standard quirky mode.  How does he keep getting away with it.

Dreadful movie. One of my bottom ten that I've seen in a cinema, certainly in the last ten years. 

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

The best joke was in the trailer. 

But yeah, Eva Green. Incredible nipples.

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Finally Did Lincoln and 12 years a slave this week after having them on my sky box for some months

Lincoln was an interesting insight into the emancipation vote (I've not checked the film against the historical facts ) if there has ever been better actor than Daniel Day Lewis then I've yet to see them

12 years a Slave was a tough watch its staggering that people could treat fellow humans that way but of course we know that they are more than capable of it ....film moved at a good pace and was never boring even though it had potential to be 

wished I'd watched both films sooner 

Yeah, I loved both films. DDL is just an incredible actor. From the first moment you saw him as Lincoln, you were watching Abe Lincoln, and not DDL. He held the film on his own, but I did find the whole film fascinating and a great insight into the politics of the time.

12 years was just a gripping film from start to finish. It's a long-ish film, but when the final credits rolled, it seemed like I'd only been in the cinema for half an hour. Absorbing.

• Like 1

Watched Arrival earlier this week and enjoyed it, it didn't blow me away but it was a solid 7/10 film, something different at least. Can see why its had some mixed reviews.

Continuing the theme of coming of age films I caught one last night called Almost Adults. I would give it a 6/10 and probably worth a watch. It lacks the charm of the better films in the genre but there's a slightly fresh outlook on friendships and how they can be torn apart by relationships. There clearly wasn't much of a budget but the actors do a good enough job with the two main girls taking up most of the screen time.

15 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

At home soaking up paternity leave .....Put on a film called Sing Street ...not my usual cup of tea but what a great flick , a good honest film no bullshit  8/10 at last a decent **** film

Can't risk it I'm afraid.  It's based around music.

Â