The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

garfield being a southern yocal clumsily falling in love meant the first bit was just ok

vaughn ruined the training camp scenes

the cheese ruined the battle scenes

yeah 6/10

the best part of the film was the end when they explained the madness of what he actually did

For those interested, the History versus Hollywood comparison for Hacksaw Ridge is very accurate.  They don't take liberty with the important stuff and only toy around with the peripherals.

Questioning the Story:

When did Desmond Doss join the U.S. Army?

In researching the Hacksaw Ridge true story, we learned that Desmond Doss was drafted into the United States army in April 1942. He could have gotten a deferment because he worked as a ship joiner at a shipyard in Newport News, Virginia, but he wanted to serve his country. Electing not to bear arms, he made his way into the army medical corps. During March 1944, he shipped out along with the rest of the 77th Division (the Statue of Liberty Division) for the Pacific Theater, first to Guam, then to Leyte in the Philippines, and finally to partake in the allied invasion of Okinawa, an island 340 miles south of mainland Japan (only the latter is chronicled in the movie). "I felt like it was an honor to serve God and country," Desmond said. "We were fightin' for our religious liberty and freedom."

Can't remember if I mentioned this last week but one of my local art galleries is putting on a series of films about dreams, hypnosis and the subconscious and my friends and I have decided to try and see them all.

Week one was Whirlpool from 1950 starring Gene Tierney, Richard Conte and Miguel's dad José Ferrer. It was okay but admittedly old films aren't really my thing. Ferrer stole the show as the villain of the piece.

Last night was the second film, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which also just so happens to be a personal favourite of mine. I missed it at the cinema the first time round so it was great to see it up on the big screen. It's one of those most people arguably have to be in the mood for, but fortunately after a fairly recent relationship experience that's left me a little raw I was particularly receptive to it. I love everything about that movie. The story, the acting, the score and the clever effects that Gondry is well known for.

Next week's film is Les Diaboliques which I know nothing about. Hopefully it's a good'un.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Assassins creed the movie ...... **** me .....is Fassbender stuck for money or something to have made this turd of a movie ......1/10

What in the ... I say what in the world made you even start that movie?  Some things don't need to be tried once.

• Like 1

I think the thing that got me with Assassins Creed was, at worst, even if the entire thing was horseshit, as was likely, it should look good without much effort.

And it didn't. They shrouded the entire thing in smoke and murky atmosphere. It's actively unpleasant to look at.

Just now, PieFacE said:

I wonder if anyone will ever make a good film from a game... 

It must have happened before.  But I'd agree that the percentage must be low.

Just now, BOF said:

It must have happened before.  But I'd agree that the percentage must be low.

The best one I can think of is the Mortal Combat or Street Fighter films, I loved those when I was about 10.

They'd probably be shocking now if I watched them. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

The best one I can think of is the Mortal Combat or Street Fighter films, I loved those when I was about 10.

They'd probably be shocking now if I watched them. 

Resident Evil spawned a load of sequels and the original isn't a stinker on IMDb.  Lara Croft : Tomb Raider.  Prince of Persia.  I was gonna say the original Mortal Kombat too :) 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Mortal Kombat I'd contend is a decent movie. The sequel is an abomination though.

Im sure there's another decent one or two...

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I actually quite like both the first Resident Evil and Silent Hill if you take them for what they are.

The Tomb Raider movies are also OK silly pop corn flicks.

Not good movies per say, but entertaining enough.

The first Silent Hill movie remains by far my favourite video game adaptation. The story was completely bonkers but the attention to detail from the games (camera angles / art design) that Gans infused was admirable (he's a huge fan of the games so I suppose he wanted to do them at least a little justice).

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure we've had the discussion a bunch of times before, so won't go in to greater detail, but animated adaptations aside, the best of a bad bunch is probably Mortal Kombat. I haven't seen it, but isn't Warcraft held in relatively high-ish regard (from non fan boys)?

On the subject there was a bit of Metal Gear Solid movie news yesterday. Whilst doing promo for the upcoming Kong: Skull Island, director Jordan Vogt-Roberts gave a small update on the project

"It’s a brilliant property.  That I’m still involved and attached to direct it.  Which is like honestly a dream every time I say it out loud.  Because that property and that game is like not only like a seminal work, not just in video games, but in all media. 

And one of the most influential things to me as a kid. It has been amazing getting to know Hideo Kojima over the last couple years.  I was just in Japan with him.

Everyone understands that it would be such an easy thing to do wrong.  It would be so easy to sort of say, Metal Gear Solid is Mission: Impossible.  It’s not.  Metal Gear Solid is G.I. Joe.  It’s not.  Metal Gear Solid is X.  It’s not.  Metal Gear Solid is Metal Gear Solid.  There’s nothing like Metal Gear Solid on the planet tonally, visually, in terms of characters.  Like the characters are walking philosophies.  There is nothing like the voice of that game and it’s so idiosyncratic to Kojima.  And to his team.  And unlike comic books that have had writers, hundreds of writers over the course of decades, you’ve essentially had one person guiding one massive, massive story.  And so it’s so specific to his point of view.  And my job right now when working on the script with the studio is to capture that.  Because there would be no greater offense to me on the planet than making a bad Metal Gear movie.  That would be a like a Scarlet Letter of epic proportions that I would not be able to live with myself with.”

sourceage

We can but hope.

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

As long as it is the original it is fantastic. I love les diaboliques

It's the one from 1955 starring Simone Signoret and Véra Clouzet, I assume that's the original?

As for movie adaptations of video games, Silent Hill is the best, Tomb Raider is meh but the second best of a bad bunch, the Resident Evil movies are horseshit as is Mortal Kombat and most definitely Street Fighter.

Prince of Persia didn't have sand monsters so what was that about, very meh, and Wreck It Ralph doesn't count as it's a film about video games and not an adaptation of a game (though the game Ralph is part of is obviously loosely based on the original Donkey Kong but the film isn't really about that).

Edited by Ginko

Â