The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Got to show some love for the Coen brothers , with a special mention for Barton fink in which John Goodman is excellent ,also there superior , Imo, version of True Grit ,still trying to work out what Geoff Bridges was mumbling , and one that sort of flew under the radar , Inside the mind of LLewen Davis , with a surprising subtle performance from Justin Timberlake , I thought so anyway .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Got to show some love for the Coen brothers , with a special mention for Barton fink in which John Goodman is excellent ,also there superior , Imo, version of True Grit ,still trying to work out what Geoff Bridges was mumbling , and one that sort of flew under the radar , Inside the mind of LLewen Davis , with a surprising subtle performance from Justin Timberlake , I thought so anyway .

Yep, being Llewyn Davies was a great film.  Burn after reading and a serious man would also be amongst my favourite films.  Went to the cinema for hail ceasar though and thought it was quite poor.  

• Like 1

Saw Split on Wednesday night. I went in not expecting much as Shyamalan is more music as than hit for me, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable being the only real exceptions.

I liked it. McAvoy absolutely steals the show and it wouldn't work without that level of performance from the lead. There's a few cringeworthy moments where people were laughing and I'm not sure it was appropriate given the scenario but I can forgive that for the most part. Even I smirked a couple of times.

There is a bit of a twist but not in typical MNS fashion. It increased my enjoyment of the film tenfold but it's really not something you can casually talk about so I'll leave it until everyone who wants to see it has seen it.

Edited by Ginko

Speaking of inappropriate laughter, watching Trainspotting 2 the other night, during the final climactic scenes there's a moment which, whilst it's not meant to shock you or anything, is definitely meant to be a 'oh shit' moment. A guy sat in front of us pissing himself at it. At first I thought he might be laughing at the film, but then it became increasingly clear as the scene went on that he was actually finding this moment, which is meant to be dramatic and anything but funny, hilarious. 

For people that have seen it it's the moment when

Spoiler

Renton is being hanged and Begbie tries to weigh him down. This bloke started pissing himself the moment Renton starts to choke and just laughed more the worse it got.

Bizarre.

Watched a lovely Kiwi film called "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" with Sam Neill. A heart warming tale that also genuinely made me laugh along the way.

(A bit like 'little miss sunshine' in that regard, only not quite that good)

PG 13 and definitely one for the family with older kids. 

• Like 4

Just now, Designer1 said:

Directed by Taika Waititi who also made the superb Eagle vs Shark and What We Do In The Shadows.

Both really worth checking out if you haven't already :thumb:

I literally have his imdb page open on my other screen as you write that :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Watched a lovely Kiwi film called "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" with Sam Neill. A heart warming tale that also genuinely made me laugh along the way.

Fantastic film. I think Taiki Waititi is a genius, I can't wait for the sequel to What We Do in the Shadows.

Edit - seems I'm too slow

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Directed by Taika Waititi who also wrote and directed the superb Eagle vs Shark and What We Do In The Shadows.

Both really worth checking out if you haven't already :thumb:

Eagle vs Shark really is excellent. Must've watched it about 20 times.

• Like 2

I've been watching a lot of "nuclear armageddon" stuff lately.  I'm not sure why but it's fascinating.  I also know that this should belong in the full movies on YouTube thread but it's a classic.  It even has Mahoney from Police Academy :) :

The other film (which is focused on the UK) is "Threads". Look it up! 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yep, Wilderpeople has gotten a lot of love in this thread before :thumb:

23 minutes ago, trekka said:

I've been watching a lot of "nuclear armageddon" stuff lately.  I'm not sure why but it's fascinating.  I also know that this should belong in the full movies on YouTube thread but it's a classic.  It even has Mahoney from Police Academy :) :

The other film (which is focused on the UK) is "Threads". Look it up! 

Threads is excellent even now.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, trekka said:

I've been watching a lot of "nuclear armageddon" stuff lately.  I'm not sure why but it's fascinating.  I also know that this should belong in the full movies on YouTube thread but it's a classic.  It even has Mahoney from Police Academy

I see your Mahoney from Police Academy in nuclear armageddon movie and raise you Goose off of Top Gun:

220px-Miracletheatrical_zpsqw5jnwag.jpg

I watched it last week for the first time. Horribly dated (naturally) and hokey in the extreme but still a solid effort for the genre.

• Like 2

On the theme of nuclear films I can only assume 'Dr Strangelove' and 'When the Wind Blows' are on everyone's radar.

All very PG and naturally then a bit more subdued than the others but also worth a watch is 'Testament' More character driven drama than sci-fi, and a bit all american apple pie, but if it's 80's cameos you're after it's littered with them, the kid from witness, the kid from the cockpit in Airplane, Costner, DeMornay.

On 2/3/2017 at 13:33, choffer said:

I see your Mahoney from Police Academy in nuclear armageddon movie and raise you Goose off of Top Gun:

I watched it last week for the first time. Horribly dated (naturally) and hokey in the extreme but still a solid effort for the genre.

late 80's Tasha Yar FTW

• Like 1

Â