The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I watched Dog Eat Dog, starring Nic cage and willem defoe and directed by Paul schrader who did American gigolo back in 1980. 

The storyline was penned by Eddie bunker (real life armed robber and Mr Blue in reservoir dogs) but it was a bit of a mess. 

Willem defoe was on great form and out 'Nic caged' Nic cage! But this is as far the praise can go. 

However, the director tried to shoehorn in so many styles and camera shots it became an incoherent mish-mash that was trying to be too clever for its own good. 

I'd avoid it as a potential film to watch.

On 2/3/2017 at 11:14, Designer1 said:

Directed by Taika Waititi who also wrote and directed the superb Eagle vs Shark and What We Do In The Shadows.

Both really worth checking out if you haven't already :thumb:

What we do in the Shadows I found very droll, obviously been a big rise in numbers in the mockumentary genre since The Office, and I can find it very hit and miss, but every time I wondered if there was enough in the film to keep me going it came up with something and some of it was great.

I can see why Eagle vs Shark splits opinion. Never going to be some people's cup of tea, but I loved it. There is beauty in simplicity.

Cheers though, I enjoyed them :)

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 08:57, PieFacE said:

I watched "The Edge of Seventeen" last night and thought it was fantastic. 

Good shout. I enjoyed that too. Very good for the teen angst coming of age genre. Hailee Steinfeld is brilliant in it.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Good shout. I enjoyed that too. Very good for the teen angst coming of age genre. Hailee Steinfeld is brilliant in it.

She is the best thing about it but I've seen better coming of age films recently.

I guess it was slightly unique in that it was from the girls perspective rather than the usual male POV, worth a watch but not amazing.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

She is the best thing about it but I've seen better coming of age films recently.

I guess it was slightly unique in that it was from the girls perspective rather than the usual male POV, worth a watch but not amazing.

Not antagonistically at all but what? Genuine question. And only from the perspective of watching them if I haven't seen them. I have to say my interest in keeping up with what's coming out has dwindled over the last 10 years or so.

So I also watched this over the weekend and whilst its a 'documentary' I thought I'd mention it here instead of the 'Documentaries You Must Watch' thread because it is not appropriate :)

51kThDv0WFL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

Most definitely because I don't regard it as a 'must watch' but also because I'm not sure it's really a documentary. There is so little substance that they had to take a different tack towards making a documentary. imdb list it as Documentary / Biography / Drama. Make of that what you will. Worst thing I've sat through in a while though. The ending sort of had a moralistic point but by then I really didn't care at all. And Mrs Villamarv was sound asleep.

29 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not antagonistically at all but what? Genuine question. And only from the perspective of watching them if I haven't seen them. I have to say my interest in keeping up with what's coming out has dwindled over the last 10 years or so.

When I say recently that may not have been completely true, I'm probably talking about the last couple of years and in some cases longer than that. I would class all of the below as better imo. I love the genre so happy for people to recommend any I might have missed.

Easy A

Kings of Summer

The Way, Way Back

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl

Mud

Adventureland

The Spectacular Now

Mean Creek

The Wackness

Son of Rambow

Diary of a teenage girl

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

When I say recently that may not have been completely true, I'm probably talking about the last couple of years and in some cases longer than that. I would class all of the below as better imo. I love the genre so happy for people to recommend any I might have missed.

Easy A

Kings of Summer

The Way, Way Back

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl

Mud

Adventureland

The Spectacular Now

Mean Creek

The Wackness

Son of Rambow

Diary of a teenage girl

A great one from last year called Little Men.

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

Passengers .....heap of shite ......3/10 just because of Jennifer Lawrence

Arrival .....0/10 Moments of my life I will never have back .......like .....why .... 

So that's a 7/10 for passengers and 10/10 for arrival.

Seems to match most critics. Cheers.

17 minutes ago, darrenm said:

So that's a 7/10 for passengers and 10/10 for arrival.

Seems to match most critics. Cheers.

Which is why movies are so wonderfully subjective. Just because he didn't enjoy it as much as you or as much as the critics (or me for that matter) there is really no need for the condescending post.

One man's meat and all that...

Edited by Designer1

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Bone tomahawk is a bit **** grim isn't it. **** me.

Loved the hell out of that movie.

Took a load of old western tropes and then completely subverted them.

Glorious.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Loved the hell out of that movie.

Took a load of old western tropes and then completely subverted them.

Glorious.

It's definitely terrific but quite a hard watch at points. I'll never pull a wishbone again.

• Like 1

Â