The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

watched mark kermode gush over it yesterday, watched it about a month ago, knew it was meant to be good but the English media hadn't reviewed it, the reviews I've seen have a fair few critics saying it's better than la la land, I think its 2nd to boyhood as the highest rated film of the 21st century on metacritic

did absolutely nothing for me, ticked the arty farty boring box, a film where actors expressions are worth as much as what they say...there's a couple of good shots in it, some good acting but overall the only stuff I actually found interesting was the scenes with his mom

makes it sound like I want to very film to be john wick, I don't, I do like dramas and good story driven films but la la land and moonlight bored me

Believe me I usually stay well clear of Oscar bait hype movies. Won't be seeing La La Land any time soon and still haven't seen Birdman for example.

Just fancied watching this and while it would be stupid to call it one of the best films of the 21st century there are some great performances here (Naomie Harris particularly), I got lost in the story for the 110 minute running time and that's all you can ask really.

I've just re-watched 'The Insider' for what may be the 5th or 6th time. Every few years I have a powerful desire, and I woke up with it this morning, to watch that movie. 

I don't necessarily know that it's 'the best movie', but it's the main movie I need to go back and re-watch and I get so much out of it every time. I honestly think it's perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've just re-watched 'The Insider' for what may be the 5th or 6th time. Every few years I have a powerful desire, and I woke up with it this morning, to watch that movie. 

I don't necessarily know that it's 'the best movie', but it's the main movie I need to go back and re-watch and I get so much out of it every time. I honestly think it's perfect. 

Really underrated film. Peak Michael Mann.

• Like 1

2 films today, very different.

Moana

i thought it was great a solid 8.5/10, animation was spot on, music and songs were great and the girl who played Moana was great, a must watch for anyone with youngish kids (probably 6+)

Nocturnal Animals 

Loved this, there was an element of style over substance which gave a slight disconnect with what was going on at times but that's just the style of the movie really. Definitely reminded me of Neon Demon at times and I think I enjoyed that film slightly more but this is still 7.5/10 for me. Shannon was great and ATJ almost unrecognizable was also good. Recommended but not oscar worthy imo.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

2 films today, very different.

Moana

i thought it was great a solid 8.5/10, animation was spot on, music and songs were great and the girl who played Moana was great, a must watch for anyone with youngish kids (probably 6+)

I watched this last night.

I thought it was excellent. Animation is superb and, as usual, Disney prove they are the king of storytelling in terms of animation. Other companies dish out decent animations, but none of them come close to Disney in terms of the stories, and that's what makes the Disney efforts so good (most of the time).

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched this last night.

I thought it was excellent. Animation is superb and, as usual, Disney prove they are the king of storytelling in terms of animation. Other companies dish out decent animations, but none of them come close to Disney in terms of the stories, and that's what makes the Disney efforts so good (most of the time).

Agreed, this film had the classic Disney innocence and charm that most companies struggle to compete with. I felt like this was something of a throwback while retaining the modern aesthetic, it's not easy to achieve that.

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Probably go against popular comments in here, but Arrival is just not my cup of tea. It's really slow and not very entertaining (and before any smart arse says, yes I got it).

Rarely do films, but this I watched last night.

Was surprised at how shit it wasn't, and consumed all 1:54 in one go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Assassin's Creed was rather poor.

Poor Mr Fassbender, boy did he try but the movie was just bad.

fassbender is a strange one, he is IMO a very good actor but he seems to have this thing where his big films arent very good and his very good films arent big, done more than a few turkeys but theres some great gems in his filmography like frank, haywire, fish tank

watched xmen DoFP last night, he's brilliant as magneto

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

fassbender is a strange one, he is IMO a very good actor but he seems to have this thing where his big films arent very good and his very good films arent big, done more than a few turkeys but theres some great gems in his filmography like frank, haywire, fish tank

watched xmen DoFP last night, he's brilliant as magneto

Just a sign of someone who does the films he likes (aka the smaller ones with more diverse roles) and supplements them with the Xmen roles and Assasins Creed to pay the bills and give him the freedom to take those smaller roles.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Just a sign of someone who does the films he likes (aka the smaller ones with more diverse roles) and supplements them with the Xmen roles and Assasins Creed to pay the bills and give him the freedom to take those smaller roles.

I think there's some story about Michael Caine being in a terrible movie, and being asked why he did it, and saying something like 'I've never seen it, but I've seen the conservatory it bought'. 

• Like 1

Â